Forum Index > Trip Reports > Castle Tower and Ireteba with Eric Eames - 3/8/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Mar 08, 2018 11:08 pm 
Eric (raising3hikers) joined me for a day of peakbagging. Unfortunately things at the airport were moving at a snails pace, so he didn’t arrive at my house until nearly 10:30am. It might be a stretch to still climb Castle Tower in the Highland Range and come out before dark. My beta said 8 rugged off-trail miles and 2.5k gain, plus rope work, but we decided to go for it anyhow. We got to the starting point around 11:40am.
summit nipple and access ledges, far right
summit nipple and access ledges, far right
From where we parked I was already impressed with this range. Numerous bands of colorful rhyolite walls all around and a fair number of little towers. I could see the summit tower and even make out the crux area of the climb. I wasn’t totally sure, but I thought I could also make out the “upper ledge” we were supposed to aim for half way up the peak. It looked sketchy and exposed from this angle.
take the upper ledge
take the upper ledge
We hiked up the wash and over a low saddle to the main wash on the far side. Some areas were thick with cholla and yucca. After passing Possible Mesa and another little rise, we turned north and ascended to a saddle. Lots of loose rock and gravel. From the saddle we went directly up to the start of the upper ledge below a rock wall. This ledge does not look like it will go anywhere nice. But similar to Sloan Peak, it’s the key to reaching the upper mountain. The angle is toward the drop and scattered with loose rock, but overall wide enough to be easy. It gets more narrow at the top.
easier terrain
easier terrain
climbing route up the 80 foot tower
climbing route up the 80 foot tower
Popping out from the ledge onto easier terrain, we avoided some rock formations and then continued to the base of the tower. I had found some really great route diagrams on Harlan Stockmans site so I knew exactly where we should start and how the climb should go. Eric is a much more confident climber than I am. He was happy to give me a belay on the exposed 4th class crux and I was thankful. It was easier than I expected, but without a rope it would be very heady for someone like me.
The Man
The Man
Castle Tower summit
Castle Tower summit
After some time up there it was time to rappel. It was clear that my 30 meter, the only rope I have with me right now, would not be long enough to reach the bottom. Eric had the great idea to rappel off the ascent side of the tower which was shorter. Someone has installed a stainless steel hand-line including a couple hand loops. We rapped off the upper hand loop which is coated in rubber and would not damage the rope.
another view of the tower
another view of the tower
We got back to the car around 2:40pm. I was surprised it was that early. We had only stopped for food and water once. I decided we should do another full size peak and not just some little peaklets in the area of the Highland Range. So we drove across the valley to the Ireteba Peaks. We hiked up over the top of Bard Peak, down to a saddle and up to the range high-point.
Wilson
Wilson
Bard
Bard
The view of so many desert ranges all around, most of which I know personally, was really awe inspiring in the evening light. We could also see Mojave Lake and the Colorado River far below. We were able to return to the car before dark. I really enjoyed this time with Eric and some great conversation.
Ireteba
Ireteba

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 6:53 am 
r3h gets out of the PNW. There's no stopping him now. Did he even spend a night in Vegas?

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am 
!!!!

Art is an adventure.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:45 pm 
RichP wrote:
r3h gets out of the PNW. There's no stopping him now. Did he even spend a night in Vegas?
He spent several nights here, and did some more hikes after we parted ways, but I'll let him write his own report. Looking forward to seeing it myself!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 7:36 pm 
Thanks to Adam (Gimpilator), for offering to take me out on a nice trip on my first day hiking out in the SW desert. I had done a lot of planning on what I wanted to hike/climb during my 4 day stay in the Vegas area but this trip, which was not on my radar, was my favorite. Of all the places I visited, it had the most diverse desert plants, rugged mountains, and it didn't rain. Also, the amount of summit visitors were extremely low according to the register.
I like those cactus from a distance, they hurt up close
I like those cactus from a distance, they hurt up close
rugged looking pks
rugged looking pks
Castle Tower
Castle Tower
Desert Pks all around
Desert Pks all around
more Desert plants
more Desert plants
time for a rappel
time for a rappel
PS, thanks for letting me stay at your place on the 1st night. My car camp idea would have been uncomfortable in that rental car I got.

Eric Eames
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
My beta said 8 rugged off-trail miles and 2.5k gain, plus rope work, but we decided to go for it anyhow.
If there was ever a guy to do a "just go for it" hike with a possible time crunch, r3h is the one to do it with!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still