Forum Index > Gear Talk > Favorite low top hikers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 5:01 pm 
I have narrow, bony feet with a curve to them that requires a wide-ish shoe. Size 15. I've loved New Balance Leadvilles (v3), but NB has quit making them. Anyone know what is the closest replacement model?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 6:29 pm 
I run and do some hiking in Hoka One Speedgoats. A Mid version will be available in July and I will hike / backpack in those.

Living in the Anthropocene
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 11:48 am 
With any shoe it's all about fit. Trail runners are becoming the go to hikers for a lot of people these days. I tried on the Salomon Speedcross 4 at an REI a couple years ago and fell in love with the fit. Probably the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. If I'm going on a trail hike or even a mild scramble or backpacking trip these are my go to shoes. Another hiker that's been getting rave reviews is the Salomon X Ultra 3 (comes in low top or mid top, gtx or non gtx). I'm considering getting a mid gtx version for when I want a flexible waterproof boot but the low non gtx version might fit what you are looking for. I'm also becoming intrigued by the Scarpa Zen as recommended here. It also has great reivews as a hiking shoe that is good on more rugged terrain. I'm considering getting a pair for more aggressive scrambles, but would have to buy one to try it on and return it if it's not a good fit for my foot. For those that have this shoe I'm curious... how does it edge (ie class 3 side hill choss) and how does it handle long days with lots of miles (ie 20 miles, 14 hour day)? Thanks!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 17, 2018 7:57 am 
awilsondc wrote:
For those that have this shoe [Scarpa Zen] I'm curious... how does it edge (ie class 3 side hill choss). . . .
Much better than a typical trail shoe/boot, although not as well as a LMB of course. 1,000 times better than Hokas.
awilsondc wrote:
. . . and how does it handle long days with lots of miles (ie 20 miles, 14 hour day)?
With a store-bought orthotic insole they worked fine for me on long days. Of the 4 or so approach shoes I've had, the Zen was the best blend for long hiking days and edging for scrambles. It's time for me to get a new pair.

TwoTent
TwoTent

TwoTent
TwoTent
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 6:39 am 
I didn't read all the posts on here so pardon if i repeat what someone else said. If you haven't tried these yet ya might want to give them a try. I wear them any time there isn't snow for all my backpacking and hiking.. Altra Lone Peak 3.5 Men's Trail Running Shoe | Hiking, Fastpacking, Trail Racing | Zero Drop Platform, FootShape Toe Box ://amzn.to/2uwKCOJ

looking for hiking partners, new trails, photo ops
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 6:38 pm 
texasbb wrote:
I have narrow, bony feet with a curve to them that requires a wide-ish shoe. Size 15. I've loved New Balance Leadvilles (v3), but NB has quit making them. Anyone know what is the closest replacement model?
Answering (sort of) my own post here. I just bought a pair of New Balances called 910 V4. No idea if they're intended to replace the Leadvilles, but they seem very similar. Somewhat more aggressive tread, which is good for hiking.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 12:07 pm 
TwoTent wrote:
If you haven't tried these yet ya might want to give them a try. I wear them any time there isn't snow for all my backpacking and hiking.. Altra Lone Peak 3.5 Men's Trail Running Shoe | Hiking, Fastpacking, Trail Racing | Zero Drop Platform, FootShape Toe Box
How well do you like the zero-drop feature for backpacking? Any adverse effects on your knees?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 11:52 pm 
You're gonna need a big boot. A Heavy boot. Big weight. The more weight you get from a Boot your gonna be better off! You need a heavy boot. should be laced up extremely TIGHT halfway up the shin. You want to completely cut off all ankle motion!! None of this messin round with these runners!! They do Not understand the Heavy Boot Mentality. Wearing a big heavy tight boot is the superior approach!!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 12:05 pm 
I usually buy Asics running shoes, since I can find them on the clearance rack for 50% off at Freddy's and I get an additional 15% off since I have a lifetime employee discount. They work pretty well for me.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
schifferj

schifferj
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 6:05 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
nd how does it handle long days with lots of miles (ie 20 miles, 14 hour day)?
With a store-bought orthotic insole they worked fine for me on long days. Of the 4 or so approach shoes I've had, the Zen was the best blend for long hiking days and edging for scrambles. It's time for me to get a new pair.[/quote] I second that opinion. I've been using this particular shoe for many, many years. I've always got a brand new pair waiting in the wings for the old ones to wear out.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Nov 12, 2020 12:49 pm 
I realize this thread is over 2 years old. Navy Salad, sounded as if you were mostly satisfied with the Oboz. I picked up my pair in New York City for urban wandering in 2013 when a pair of Nike trail runners were giving me issues mid-trip. Hundreds of miles and 7 years later, I'm still using them for my walking/hiking loops at Ski Hill and am considering picking up a pair of the waterproof ones when they go on sale tomorrow at REI. Oboz footwear will be 25% off.
Central Park Shoe Shot
Central Park Shoe Shot

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 11:14 pm 
I normally wear my high top leather (heavy) boots while doing a multi-day backpacking trip, but I am considering wearing trail runners since we don't plan to be doing any off trail hiking. We are planning to backpack into Titcomb basin in the Winds in mid July with a pack weight hopefully less than 40lbs. Thoughts?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 6:28 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
... I am considering wearing trail runners since we don't plan to be doing any off trail hiking. We are planning to backpack into Titcomb basin in the Winds in mid July with a pack weight hopefully less than 40lbs. Thoughts?
Do it! Many many people these days prefer trail runners on such a trip, myself included, and that's even if there is off trail travel. What's the old saying a pound on your feet is like five pounds on your back? Lighten your load and go with the trail runners.

neek

neek
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 6:46 am 
Navy salad wrote:
How well do you like the zero-drop feature for backpacking? Any adverse effects on your knees?
Since no one commented on this - zero drop works great for backpacking if you spend a long time adapting to them first. Also, they're horrible on snow and not great on sustained scrambles. I hiked 34 miles in them over the weekend on easy trails and didn't have any problems, but have been wearing them around town for years. Definitely easier on the knees since you learn to stop heel-slamming, and being closer to the ground you're way less likely to twist an ankle. Altras never quite fit me right but Merrels are perfect. With any shoe or boot it's all about personal fit.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 8:49 am 
It really depends on the hike. For thru hikes I have had success with the nongortex Solomons. For shorter scramble hikes approach shoes with sticky rubber like Scarpas work well. If hard snow goretex with traction is handy. For extensive snow or talus boots are best with crampons for ice.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn