Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hikes near Mountain View, CA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Moose

Moose
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 8:47 am 
I'll be in the East Bay area this weekend and am looking for a mountain to climb on Saturday. I've looked at nearly every peak listed here (https://www.summitpost.org/black-mountain/mountains-rocks/p-171146), but can't make up my mind. Everything looks kind of boring, to be honest - but I'm sure that's more because of my lack of knowledge, not the geology itself. Mt. Diablo looked interesting, until I realized that you could drive to the summit. Anyone have personal / firsthand experience with hiking in this area? Would like it to be as remote and rugged as is possible for this densely populated area, and preferably 1.5 hrs or less from Mountain View / Sunnyvale area as my transportation options will be limited. TIA!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 am 
There are a lot of hiking areas in the Bay Area, but not much in the way of rugged peaks. When I lived in the Bay Area, I always enjoyed hiking in vast Henry Coe State Park south of San Jose. More than anywhere else in the Bay Area, Coe Park feels like a real wilderness, with 80,000 acres and 200 miles of trails. The loop hike from the Coe Ranch headquarters to Blue Ridge and back is 15 miles. Best in spring when the grass is green and the creeks are flowing. At least 3000' of elev. gain. For more of a cool forest experience, drive out to Big Basin State Park and enjoy the redwoods. Nice loop hike to Berry Creek Falls, about 8 miles. It may be a bit of a long drive for you, but Point Reyes National Seashore is a great place to hike.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 11:59 am 
I used to live in that area when I was a young'un. I was mostly a cyclist back then, for good reason. Pretty boring hiking area. And now you have to bring a wad of cash to visit the parks there. Castle Rock State Park might be your best bet. ($8 admission) 40 years ago it was nice at least. smile.gif Skyline Preserve has trails that go all the way down to the ocean. Access Between La Honda Road and Kings Mountain rd. I have visited there in recent years and I have ridden out of Skeggs point parking with a mtn bike. I can't say anything more about mtn bike options due to heavy restrictions on mtn biking there, but the hiking possibilities did look good. When I was a kid, my family lived next to Huddart park. Definitely "Meh" hiking but you can get up to Skyline from there on trails with pretty much no people on them. There used to be trails from Palo Alto to Rattlesnake rock. I never did that one. The name is appropriate. By the way, definitely watch out for rattlesnakes and ticks and poison oak while hiking the area. And bring plenty of water.

friluftsliv
whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 3:58 pm 
A modest peak bag is available close to Mountain View at the Hidden Villa preserve: https://www.hiddenvilla.org/documents/other/hiddenvillamap.pdf Black Mountain Trail, 2200' of gain, 10 miles RT. It's a pretty area that I've hiked before (a long time ago).

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 10:18 pm 
The trails up Diablo or Mount Tamalpais (north of GG bridge) are worth doing even though both have roads to the top. If you have a little more time, our favorite "close" hiking getaway while we lived in Mountain View was Pinnacles NM south of the bay area.

zhenya

zhenya
PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:28 am 
I wouldn't discount Mt. Diablo just yet. You can really find some solitude in parts, and the flowers/greenery should be pretty good right now. It also offers some pretty steep trails and opportunities for a little scrambling. It's really quite a beautiful area, and I recommend taking the time to do the 4 Peaks Loop for something a bit more strenuous. The Berry Creek Falls loop in Big Basin SP is very nice at this time of year. Mt. Tam via Steep Ravine (starting in Stinson Beach) is a fun long hike, with redwood and ocean views, or you can get up Mt. Tam by way of dozens of other routes. Purisima Creek and Castle Rock SP are nice rambles too, albeit crowded.

Moose

Moose
PostThu Mar 15, 2018 8:41 am 
puzzlr wrote:
The trails up Diablo or Mount Tamalpais (north of GG bridge) are worth doing even though both have roads to the top. If you have a little more time, our favorite "close" hiking getaway while we lived in Mountain View was Pinnacles NM south of the bay area.
Pinnacles has been on my list for a while but somehow I missed the fact that it's less than two hours south from where I'll be. Now I'm excited. The last time I looked at it, it was a National Monument, but apparently it's been upgraded to Park status. The High Peaks loop looks interesting - there's a closure on Machete Ridge right now but it sounds like it only applies to the climbing routes. Would love to hear any other tips you might have - thanks again for the recommendation.

Moose

Moose
PostThu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am 
Thanks all for the recommendations. I think I'll be headed to Pinnacles (thanks, puzzlr), but I'll be back in the area at the end of April so will hopefully be able to check out more of the other areas.

mb

mb
PostThu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 am 
The Bay Area has tons of hiking, but it's different from the cascades. Lots of green hills at this time of year, and maybe still in April. Wildflowers should be very abundant too, especially in places towards the desert a bit. Or check out the redwoods. Also pretty different from the cascades, even the big tree parts of them. Big Basin state park, or the more remote Portola Redwoods SP. Do not go to Muir Woods. Bicycling (road or mountain... or motorcycle) are often good ways to explore. Mountain View is not in the east bay (it's either peninsula or south bay), but for remoteness head south--Coe, Pinnacles (which always has people in my experience, but is in the middle of nowhere), Panoche or New Idria. The middle of the peninsula is surprisingly empty too. Large amounts of land set aside for various agencies. It's part of why housing is so crazy expensive. BAHiker is a good resource. E.g. https://bahiker.com/southbayhikes/portola.html . From Mountain View it's a 1+ hour drive on very narrow windy roads if you want. (Page Mill->Alpine; pause at the top of Alpine and make a quick jaunt up Russian Ridge. Or hang out there, might be good wildflowers)

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 pm 
One of the highlights of my rather long life occurred just last spring at Pinnacles NP--seeing a California condor! If you go there, be sure to watch for them once it's warm enough for thermals! Take your binoculars!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Moose

Moose
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 10:32 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
One of the highlights of my rather long life occurred just last spring at Pinnacles NP--seeing a California condor! If you go there, be sure to watch for them once it's warm enough for thermals! Take your binoculars!
I did indeed end up going to Pinnacles and was fortunate enough to see several California Condors circling Machete Ridge (off the High Peaks Loop trail). It was pretty amazing. I can't believe how big they are. I also got to experience torrential rain, scattered sunbreaks, and hail all within a few hours of hiking. Meanwhile, I believe it was sunny in the PNW...