Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > has anyone lived in new zealand?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 8:28 pm 
looking to pick some brains on life in NZ. if you have lived there at any point in the last 1-2 decades, please shoot me a PM

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSat Mar 17, 2018 8:01 am 
Have been looking into Christchurch myself...

If not now, when?
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Jeff

Jeff
PostSat Mar 17, 2018 10:02 am 
Definitely act quickly. The locals are already complaining about foreigners, mostly Americans, moving in and raising prices for things. Escpecially real estate. A decade ago they were begging for men with good careers to move there, but they would take anyone they can get. They have since raised the bar considerably, but it's still easy for someone with a good career.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 17, 2018 10:15 am 
A timber company was up here recruiting years ago. I did my research and the salary sounded good in NZ dollars, but would have been a sizable cut in US dollars. Their recruiter went on about how much cheaper it was to live there, hence the salary was OK. About the time I was to drive down for an interview, I came down with a nasty bout of flu--fever and all so missed it. That may have been a good thing, I do not know. I still wonder about it. This was on the South Island.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
iron

iron
PostSat Mar 17, 2018 9:28 pm 
based on the NZ website, my job profession has a skills shortage, as does my wife's. so, ideally not concerned about that. plan would be to move in ~3-4 years. hopefully the US isn't trashed by then such that expats are forbidden worldwide.

ofuros

ofuros
PostSat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 pm 
A average two income family will survive just fine in NZ...

...always dreaming of far off adventures. https://ofuros.exposure.co/
Hesman

Hesman
PostSun Mar 18, 2018 8:14 am 
Would you be ditching your US citizenship so you wouldn’t have to pay Uncle Sam taxes on the income you would earn in NZ. I’ve read a few things about expat’s biggest complaint about living abroad is that they still have to pay tax on income earned to Uncle Sam, but when they renounce their US citizenship and become a citizen of the country they are living in they no longer have to pay taxes to Uncle Sam. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/paying-taxes-while-living-abroad/

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 pm 
US citizens get to exclude the first $102,100 of foreign income earned when computing their US taxes.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Mar 18, 2018 10:56 pm 
I don't know how much you depend on the internet, but from our travel there and stays with friends the whole country's internet plans include caps on how much you can download a month. It may not be important to some, but if you're going to work on the internet it may be important.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 11:34 am 
Why on earth wait 3-4 years to relocate? Are you hedging your bets to see if this country doesn't deteriorate at as fast a pace as currently?

iron

iron
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 11:44 am 
other factors involved, not just how fast we're going down the shitter. like, baby #2 eventually...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 6:38 pm 
like dood WTF?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 20, 2018 7:21 am 
iron wrote:
other factors involved, not just how fast we're going down the shitter. like, baby #2 eventually...
Ummmm, we have elections and I'm hoping that folks take voting a bit more seriously next time. Meanwhile, I live within a hard walking distance of Canada. hockeygrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 4:55 pm 
iron wrote:
hopefully the US isn't trashed by then such that expats are forbidden worldwide.
treeswarper wrote:
iron wrote:
Ummmm, we have elections and I'm hoping that folks take voting a bit more seriously next time. Meanwhile, I live within a hard walking distance of Canada. hockeygrin.gif
I really don’t understand how politics are making their way into this thread without consequence.

neek

neek
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 6:00 pm 
Layback wrote:
I really don’t understand how politics are making their way into this thread without consequence.
Canada is a real country, look it up. Despite the current political climate, I think rumors of this country's imminent demise have been greatly exaggerated. I appreciate reinventing one's self, but becoming an ex-pat seems like a really drastic move that is hard to undo. Friends, family, and a familiar culture left behind... that said, I plan to visit NZ in a few years and would love to have someone there to look up.