Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > has anyone lived in new zealand?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 pm 
I have been an expat in both Australia and Canada liked both. It is not for everyone, to some degree you are always a stranger in a strange land. You meet some resentment. You learn that the other countries regions are as different as those in the US. Ontario is as different from BC as New York is from Seattle and Quebec is another story. Brisbane is as different from Melbourne as Dallas from Boston. Canada and the US allow dual citizenship OZ and NZ do not. I could have become a permanent resident and Citizen of either but always returned home. The ties that bind. As far as the US this too shall pass. If it does not I can always return. Immigration to Canada is not as easy as you may think especially if you are not commonwealth they have a point system and a dui can keep you from even visiting. I have not lived in New Zealand but have known several kiwis, in general they are somewhat less friendly than Aussies. Kind of like the difference between Norwegians and Danes or Seattlites and Texans.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Mar 26, 2018 5:15 pm 
neek wrote:
Despite the current political climate, I think rumors of this country's imminent demise have been greatly exaggerated.
I can't speak for Iron, but for my part, I am fatigued of hoping and battling for things here that other countries have long since dealt with and moved on. Affordable access to health care and sane gun rules are two. I'm tired of paying $2100 a month for health insurance for my family of four. I'm tired of sending my kids off to schools where I fret about their safety. I'm tired of politicians doing nothing about this, except positing that kids should learn CPR instead of protesting, or that they should be armed with rocks. I'm tired of corporations having more human rights than actual humans. And I'd tired of the endless accumulation of wealth and power among an increasingly small group, at the direct expense of the vast majority of citizens. I'm tired of public schools begging for money while giant, unimaginably profitable companies pay little or no taxes. I'm tired of the environment and wild places being regarded as obstacles to progress and sacrificial budget lambs. I'm tired of spending countless billions on guns and weapons of war. I'm tired of paying out $35,000+ per year for my kid's college education, and watching tuition increase at five to ten times the rate of inflation. I'm tired of some religious groups whining about their rights being infringed while they rail against anyone who has other beliefs. I'm tired of police shooting innocent and/or unarmed people of color with little or no consequence. And I've had it with the people who defend and rationalize and enable these things. No country is perfect. And other countries have made decisions and rules about these things that are far more in alignment with my priorities and beliefs. In New Zealand, some seats in their parliament are reserved exclusively for indigenous people. Can you imagine the uproar from a subset of this country if that was proposed here? So yeah, I've been dreaming of living somewhere that seems more in alignment with me and a whole lot less insane.

If not now, when?
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 26, 2018 5:36 pm 
This has jumped the shark in terms of politics. Let's stick to the question phrased in the thread title and OP.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:29 pm 
I know a guy who, a few years ago, retired from a large local company after working there for about 30 years. He was in an executive position, made a substantial salary, has a substantial retirement nest egg, a master’s degree, and is quite active. He’d had a recent health scare, though he fully recovered. His wife of 30 years has a bachelor’s degree, and is quite healthy and active. They loooked into moving to New Zealand permanently and retiring there — they might have completed some paperwork — and were officially told no. The sense was it was due to their ages, early 60s, and New Zealand’s generous healthcare system.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:47 pm 
It is reasonable for countries with generous retirement systems to reject those who have never contributed. rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 pm 
Of course, though he seemed surprised about being turned down.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:57 pm 
I receive a pension from Canada but I resent that uncle same deducts my SS for the windfall. mad.gif

GH_Hiker

GH_Hiker
PostTue Mar 27, 2018 9:07 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
neek wrote:
Despite the current political climate, I think rumors of this country's imminent demise have been greatly exaggerated.
I can't speak for Iron, but for my part, I am fatigued of hoping and battling for things here that other countries have long since dealt with and moved on. Affordable access to health care and sane gun rules are two. I'm tired of paying $2100 a month for health insurance for my family of four. I'm tired of sending my kids off to schools where I fret about their safety. I'm tired of politicians doing nothing about this, except positing that kids should learn CPR instead of protesting, or that they should be armed with rocks. I'm tired of corporations having more human rights than actual humans. And I'd tired of the endless accumulation of wealth and power among an increasingly small group, at the direct expense of the vast majority of citizens. I'm tired of public schools begging for money while giant, unimaginably profitable companies pay little or no taxes. I'm tired of the environment and wild places being regarded as obstacles to progress and sacrificial budget lambs. I'm tired of spending countless billions on guns and weapons of war. I'm tired of paying out $35,000+ per year for my kid's college education, and watching tuition increase at five to ten times the rate of inflation. I'm tired of some religious groups whining about their rights being infringed while they rail against anyone who has other beliefs. I'm tired of police shooting innocent and/or unarmed people of color with little or no consequence. And I've had it with the people who defend and rationalize and enable these things. No country is perfect. And other countries have made decisions and rules about these things that are far more in alignment with my priorities and beliefs. In New Zealand, some seats in their parliament are reserved exclusively for indigenous people. Can you imagine the uproar from a subset of this country if that was proposed here? So yeah, I've been dreaming of living somewhere that seems more in alignment with me and a whole lot less insane.
Okay..Bye.. Don't let the door hit you in the Ass...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:03 pm 
Stop arguing for the policies which cause the problems you see. Healthcare being the best example. I can see from the content in the rest of the post that these ideas are not acceptable, but what the heck. Yes, there would be an uproar for sorting people by race, for govt positions, with full intent, as there should be. Some folks have had it with the blind pursuit of backwards, anti individual, totalitarian ends. There's finally push back on that. /politics off

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
iron

iron
PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:06 pm 
CC's post basically 100% mirrors my feelings and is the driver behind wanting to leave. notably, school safety is a primary concern for me as i would not be able to live with myself were something to happen to my daughter as a result of what is now typical in this country.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:31 pm 
I strenuously object to those who are complaining this thread has gotten too political. That includes complaints from the moderator. Where one chooses to live and wanting a good quality of life for oneself and one's family is NOT political. It goes to the core of who we are and what we think is important. Politics is something that affects quality of life. But quality of life in and of itself is not political.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:36 pm 
iron wrote:
. . . of what is now typical in this country.
School mass shootings are awful, tragic and completely f### up, but they are not "typical." C'mon, you're smarter than that. FWIW, nearly all the U.S. expats I know return to the U.S. to retire.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
School mass shootings are awful, tragic and completely f### up, but they are not "typical.
Compared to other first world countries they are. Oh yes, they are. The above quote sounds like lawereze to me.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:46 pm 
And some people become expats when they retire.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir