Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cabin on Squak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
vroc38

vroc38
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 2:26 pm 
My daughter and I happened upon a decaying cabin on the north side of Squak Mountain a few weeks ago. It is located north of the Mountainside Drive trailhead along an unnamed trail that goes north from that trailhead near its intersection with the proposed Cedar River - Lake Sammamish trail. I've done quite a bit of poking around online re: Squak, but never came across any mention of this cabin. Anybody have any information about its purpose and origin?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 2:54 pm 
The Bullitt family made a generous donation of the 590 acres comprising Squak Mountain State Park. I suspect the cabin at one time was used by their family. Perhaps their foundation can forward your inquiry to the family for answers. Stimson Bullitt died in 2009 but his children are still living. https://www.bullitt.org/

whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 3:18 pm 
I've been to that cabin on the slope below Mountainside Drive Trailhead. I think that it is nothing historic - it is someone's home brew project.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 4:39 pm 
I found that cabin about 10 years ago it looks almost identical to the old ONP shelters. I do not think it has anything to do with the Bullitts as it is entirely different and not on the old route to the Bullitt Cabin with the fireplace. Back in the day Squak was crisscrossed with roads and mines. The other well known cabin on Squak was built by Bill Longwell and his students in the 1970’s. The trail down from Mountainside is relatively recent on of my neighbors built it and the short cut trail from the end of the East Side Trail and Thrush Gap now deteriorated.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
vroc38

vroc38
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 10:13 pm 
Whitebark: That's about how I read it. What I found curious was how under the radar it seems to be, and its strange and inconvenient location. I'm sure its location made a lot more sense back in the day.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 12:41 am 
There's actually a geocache at that cabin. When I was last there a few years ago, it reeked of pee & poop and it was clear that someone was squatting there (no pun intended).

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 6:58 am 
dizzy.gif

hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 9:47 am 
I know of a cabin along Phil's Trail just once you cross Crystal Creek. I first saw it about eight years ago as I was gong up the summit trail. It was made with material manufactured within the last forty years. It has a ruined barrel stove and bunk beds. I go every once and a while to see how time and the northwest climate is treating it. My guess is it was built when Phil's trail was a driveable 4x4 road, maybe in the seventies or eighties. One thought I had was the cabin used by trail crews as they worked? It is just inside of the once owned Bullit property, so maybe they have some connection. I was told a story of why the cabin and a few others were built, but it is hearsay so I wont go into that. I just call it Jacob's cabin because I am a Lost fan.

Fedor
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 11:13 am 
That cabin was built by Bill Longwell and his students at Haven HS in the 1970s. You are correct as they drove up the Phil’s Creek road. Bill was a founding member of the Issaquah Alps trail Club and wrote several books on the Alps. Some of his students also pulled out the supports of the Bullett Cabin because they were mad at him. It is in pretty sad shape now.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Fedor
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 am 
Anyone ever look at the old historical maps and investigated the cabin sites and old trails?

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 pm 
The cabin OP is referring to isn't along Phil's trail.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 3:29 pm 
Right two different cabins.

nitsudsniksa

nitsudsniksa
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 7:01 pm 
On Strava you can name segments, someone named that trail that descends from Mountainside Drive the "Spider path", it sure can get muddy. I've visited that same cabin a few times when on runs that connect with Cougar Mountain. FWIW - I recently mentioned it to a neighbor who lives off Mount Olympus Drive on Squak Mountain and he claimed his next door neighbor built that cabin in the seventies and their kids would hang out in it. So perhaps both Squak cabins, Bill's and the one above were built in the seventies? I day dream of a site that documents these things. The cabins, the block house, the green house, the cars, etc. Anyone know of one?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 9:21 pm 
There are several sources and One Book published by The Issaquah Alps Trail Club that detail the cabins. The old IATC paperback trail guides by Bill and Harvey have some of that. There was a power cable that went from 900 to the Blockhouse along a cat track that crossed the Chibiniski Trail. A cable went from the Blockhouse in the trees to the Green House. There was a 50’ tower adjacent to the Green house until a few years ago at the top was a geocache called Crazy Monkey Tower. The Green House contained a hundred or so 6v deep cycle lead acid batteries. The towers, Green House, and batteries were all removed a few years ago. I assume all were part of a County Radio system or Ham repeater.

Fedor
vroc38

vroc38
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 9:46 pm 
Malachai Constant, was the Green House the building on West Peak?