Forum Index > Partners > PCT Section K (Food Drop Assistance $$$)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TrailTowelieNOBO17
Nick

TrailTowelieNOBO17
Nick
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 7:12 pm 
Hey everyone, this is my first post to the forum. I have the pleasure of getting two whole weeks to explore the backcountry of WA this July and am quite excited. In my research I kept being drawn toward Glacier Peak Wilderness, it seemed truly wild. From what I have read section K is supposed to be the one of the harder sections of the PCT. I am not too worried, I have thru hiked the AT and am a strong hiker. My primary concern is the fact that the section alone along with the side trips I want to do looks like it will be around 150 miles with no easy resupply. To remedy this situation I took to Caltopo in search of any viable options. A few presented themselves to me, but one in particular stood out as a nice option. The idea is to hike in 50 miles to the junction where the PCT crosses the Suiattle and instead of crossing the river continue along its banks to Sulphur Creek Campground where I could stay the night. The idea is to have someone meet me there with my food drop either that night or the next morning, either a Ranger if they are so inclined to do that sort of thing or perhaps someone from this lovely community is willing to work something out? I am willing to compensate someone for their time and gas. I know I could do this section much faster like the thru hikers do but I want to deliberately go very slow on this trip and really soak up this beautiful state. Also if you have any pointers about section K, good side trails in GPW, or info on Gamma Peak let me know. Cheers yall and happy trails. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:11 am 
hope it's the last 2 weeks of july....most stuff here at 4,000 f t is snow bound till mid july.. keep an eye on reports...also snotell sight has good info...depth gauges...

TrailTowelieNOBO17
Nick

TrailTowelieNOBO17
Nick
PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:28 am 
Yeah it will be July 16 thru 30th so hopefully the snow will be melted enough. If not I am making a backup plan in the Olympics. Been tracking the snowfall, yall broke 300ft yesterday so it has been an above average year. All I can do is hope now. Still looking for someone intersted in helping with a food drop!

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostSat Mar 24, 2018 1:42 pm 
Hello TrailTowelieNOBO17, And welcome. By your description your headed south on the PCT from Rainy pass, Correct? Travel to and from rainy pass can be challenging, unless you've all ready got that covered. Also a special permit is needed if you want to camp within the first 10-15 miles or so along the PCT heading south from Rainy pass. Double check, I could be wrong. A side trip up to Cascade pass might be something to look at. This would ad about 20 miles between Rainy pass and High bridge/Stehekin Any thought of sending a resupply box to the Stehekin post office? At 20 (or 40 miles if you add in Cascade pass) in you'll be at high bridge, a bus comes along 2-3 times a day and travels down to Stehekin, making stops at the post office and the bakery. Catch a early buss into Stehekin, pick up your resupply, hit the bakery then catch the last bus back up to high bridge. I think the bus is $8 each way. PCT hikers talk of the Stehekin bakery for over 2000 miles and I'm sure its in every PCT book written. Anyway, worth a thought. Suiattle river and Sulphur creek campground are fairly popular in the summer but along way from town. You shouldn't have to much trouble recruiting someone with the offer of some gas $. There had been a couple outfitters/horse guides in the darrington area that would be perfect for what you want. A quick google search ends in dead websites but a few phone numbers do come up. May be worth a look/call. Stehekin 2017-Shuttle-Schedule.pdf NPS - backcountry-reservations.htm

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
camut

camut
PostSat Mar 24, 2018 8:23 pm 
The local packer/outfitter in Darrington is Kirk Kirkpatrick, The Pack Station, 360-631-7219. He will do resupply drops.

TrailTowelieNOBO17
Nick

TrailTowelieNOBO17
Nick
PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:12 am 
Thank you very much for the information!

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 1:10 pm 
SlingShot. Why do need a special permit to hike South of Rainey Pass? Just wondering?

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 2:51 pm 
The Lead Dog wrote:
SlingShot. Why do need a special permit to hike South of Rainey Pass? Just wondering?
A permit is only needed to camp within the North Cascades National Park Complex (North Cascades National Park, Ross Lake National Recreation Area, and Lake Chelan National Recreation Area). From The National Park Service Website.
Quote:
Backcountry Permits are required year round for all overnight stays in the backcountry of North Cascades National Park Service Complex (North Cascades National Park, Ross Lake and Lake Chelan National Recreation Areas). Starting in 2017, the park began accepting advance reservations for backcountry permits for up to 60 percent of the sites in certain areas of the park. Visit the Backcountry Permits page for complete details.
PCT Thru NCNP
PCT Thru NCNP
I had thought it was a 10-15 mile section of the PCT that went thru the park. After using Caltopo it looks to be about 17 1/2 miles of the PCT is managed by the NCNP. Of all 2650 miles of the PCT this and two small places in central Oregon, called the Obsidian Limited Entry Area and the Pamelia Limited Entry Area are the only sections that he PCT permit does not cover.

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 7:19 pm 
Gamma Peak is nice enough, but you'll pay dearly to get there. The trail is a maze of jackstraw downfall, big logs and a pain. And that was 15 years ago when I was there, so it's gonna be a lot worse. The wood is surely dry by now, so it won't be easy to saw either. Offtrail routes are also challenging.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 pm 
You probably won't have an issue getting one of us to meet you at Sulphur Creek Campground. The Suiattle trailhead is a great launch for some wonderful trips. Try to plan to be there on a Friday evening so folks can meet you then or Saturday morning.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert