Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best tent options for one person
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trestle

trestle
PostThu Mar 29, 2018 2:51 pm 
There's a Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2 for sale right now on the Trading Post. Only one door, but it is free-standing.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Mar 29, 2018 3:15 pm 
schifferj wrote:
Quote:
The Tarptent Protrail looks very similar to the Squall 2 which was a collaboration between Henry Shires (Tarptent) and Glen Peski (Gossamer Gear) back in 2010. That tent was constructed of Dacron sail cloth and is nearly bullet proof and doesn't stretch once pitched. Great tent, I love mine.
This isn't quite correct. You have confused the Tarptent Squall (whose first model dates back to the earliest days of Tarptent in the 1990s) with the Gossamer Gear "Squall Classic" which was the Peski/Shires collaboration. It is smaller (really snug for 2 people, although fine for one person plus dog), and therefore half a pound lighter, than the Tarptent Squall 2. The Squall Classic started about 2005 (the earliest review I can find now is 2006. but I know it was around when I first looked at lightweight tents in the fall of '05), disappeared for a year or two, and resumed with a remodel in 2009. It disappeared permanently a couple of years later when spinnaker fabric became unavailable. In other words, you and I each own rare tents that should be carefully preserved! I have a Tarptent Squall 2 that I bought in 2005--still doing fine, except for a rarely used grommet that popped off--and also a Gossamer Gear "Squall Classic" that I bought in 2009. In fact, the "Classic" that I have was number one of the remodeled version, or so I was assured by the folks at Gossamer Gear. Unlike the Tarptent Squall 2 and the earlier Classic, the vestibule fastens with a zipper instead of the hated (by me) velcro. Unfortunately, the spinnaker fabric does stretch a bit when it gets wet, although not as much as silnylon. Easily taken care of by using a short bungee cord on each of the front guy lines.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 am 
FYI http://www.tarptent.com/tt1.html I bought a TT Virga in mid 2003. The foot hoop was pretty new at the time as I recall. Previously the foot support was a short vertical pole. I used that Virga on my section hikes in '03-'05 and on the PCT thru in '06, plus other hikes in that same time frame and after the thru, so it has well over 3,000 miles in the pack. I'll still use it occasionally.

schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Apr 01, 2018 10:21 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
This isn't quite correct. You have confused the Tarptent Squall (whose first model dates back to the earliest days of Tarptent in the 1990s) with the Gossamer Gear "Squall Classic" which was the Peski/Shires collaboration. It is smaller (really snug for 2 people, although fine for one person plus dog), and therefore half a pound lighter, than the Tarptent Squall 2. The Squall Classic started about 2005 (the earliest review I can find now is 2006. but I know it was around when I first looked at lightweight tents in the fall of '05), disappeared for a year or two, and resumed with a remodel in 2009. It disappeared permanently a couple of years later when spinnaker fabric became unavailable. In other words, you and I each own rare tents that should be carefully preserved!
You're correct, my bad! I got mine in late 2009. I could of sworn that GG told me that mine was number one wink.gif. I didn't know it is rare but it IS being carefully preserved. I use it only when out with my six year old grandson and hang it when not in use. It's as good today as the day I got it. I've never really had a problem with mine stretching - from time to time I experience quite a bit of condensation.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Apr 01, 2018 6:59 pm 
How many of us were told we had number one??? Good question! I got mine at the beginning of 2009, after having waited a long time. If we had offered ours for sale in 2013, we probably could have gotten more than we paid! There were dozens of "wanted to buy" ads on BPL then.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 11:56 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
They sell a one person version, and many other really cool designed tents
Like the tents and hopefully they improve customer service. Come on Bob you can do it winksmile.gif I use the Soulx2 CF, Glacier Extreme,and have the Chinook2. Deep rotation.

Living in the Anthropocene
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 pm 
Dont forget Six Moons. They make some very nice etuff. I really like mine. Sixmoons

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:08 pm 
Lots of positive recommendations for Tarptent! I have the Tarp Tent Moment, which is very light (28 ozs +/-) and sets up/takes down very fast. It's also very streamlined and roomy for the weight. The only thing about it is I'm not crazy about is a trait common to any similar single wall tent: Depending on the weather, a LOT of moisture can build up inside the tent overnight. It's especially noticeable in cold, damp weather, just like you'd expect. I don't think this is a fault of Tarptent, it's more just the consequences of using a single wall tent in damp weather. I've (luckily) never been in actual prolonged rain in it, so I can't speak to "misting", but I do expect there would be even more moisture build up inside. On one trip, there was so much moisture that it got on my sleeping bag, which was still damp when I pulled it out at the next camp site. I now take a pack towel inside the tent to dry it out when the moisture starts to collect. Of course, on warm, dry nights, none of this is an issue.

Franco

Franco
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:15 pm 
The current version of the Moment , called Moment DW, is double wall. You can choose between a mesh and a solid (fabric) inner. http://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html franco@tarptent

RichP

RichP
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 1:01 pm 
Franco wrote:
The current version of the Moment , called Moment DW, is double wall. You can choose between a mesh and a solid (fabric) inner. http://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html franco@tarptent
That is interesting.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 1:47 pm 
Have to admire Henry Shires and the Tarptents. I worked with a guy who knew Henry, and dang if Henry didn't borrow their sewing machine for his first tent.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 1:57 pm 
Franco wrote:
You can choose between a mesh and a solid (fabric) inner.
Pretty sure you can do that with the StratoSpire as well. Or at least separately order the solid BR inner canopy as an aftermarket accessory purchase. I have (and really like) the SS2, and have been thinking about the solid inner option. Of course, now I'm dreaming about the "Li" version!

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 6:38 pm 
It's not free standing, but I really like the ZPacks Duplex as an all around backpacking tent. I use mine with two carbon poles (vice trekking poles) when there are two of us....two vestibules, two entries, plenty of sit up room for two people and a total weight of 20 ozs which includes stakes and cordage. I am about to take delivery of the new ZPacks solo tent (Hexamid X), #2, for testing and evaluation (yes, I paid for it). #1 is 14.8 ozs and this tent uses a single pole. At this weight with a single pole I'd be hard pressed to top any combination of bivy and tarp for a fully enclosed, bathtub floor, single pole solo shelter, with consideration that it probably won't be as storm worthy as a mid. This tent will be available this summer and anyone considering a solo shelter may want to wait to see how this new tent fleshes out.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostFri May 11, 2018 8:12 am 
I have the Nemo Hornet Elite 1P and I really like it. My pack fits in the vestibule and it has held up well so far to wind and rain. Also very light and small and easy to set up.

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
jalepeno

jalepeno
PostFri May 11, 2018 9:59 am 
Not freestanding, but I love my Lightheart Gear SoLong 6. https://www.lightheartgear.com/collections/tents/products/lightheart-solong-6 I'm 6'4" and it's huge for me. Since you use hiking poles for support, it's very stable. I've had it in summer rainstorms and did not get wet. I don't know how it would do on a ridge in a screamer.