Forum Index > Gear Talk > Umbrella In Carry On
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 7:08 pm 
Has anyone successfully taken a non-collapsible umbrella as carry-on to another country, say like the Six Moon Silver Shadow Carbon? It comes in at 25". I already have one and don't really want to buy a new one when I get there.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 7:26 pm 
My interpretation of the language indicates : A) It must fit inside your carry on bag. B) The TSA officer performing the screening makes the final decision. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/umbrellas So even if others have successfully taken a non-collapsing umbrella through TSA , that is no guarantee your umbrella won't be rejected. FWIW: I've flown routinely with a fully collapsible GoLite ChromeDome umbrella. It works great for hiking, but it is 50% heavier than the non-collapsing ChromeDome. GoLite is gone, but similar umbrellas are common.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 6:03 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
So even if others have successfully taken a non-collapsing umbrella through TSA , that is no guarantee your umbrella won't be rejected. FWIW: I've flown routinely with a fully collapsible GoLite ChromeDome umbrella. It works great for hiking, but it is 50% heavier than the non-collapsing ChromeDome. GoLite is gone, but similar umbrellas are common.
Thanks, Randy! Agreed, the TSA agent has the power. I think I would be okay flying out of Everett but it would be the return trip. There is an umbrella I can pick up at a store near my destination for another ounce or two that would suffice for my trek, I just hate buying something again that I already have. I like my Six Moon. smile.gif

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 9:31 am 
Snuffy wrote:
Agreed, the TSA agent has the power.
Yeah...TSA agents are similar to the general population, some are decent, some are dumb as the Snuffleupagus on the Muppets. I've had two "discussions" with TSA, and I won one, and they won one, so I figure it's time to leave it at that. And since I retired, I don't fly anymore unless there is just no way around it. If it were me, I'd leave the favorite at home, buy another at your destination, and keep for a spare, sell it or give it away when you return. An umbrella really isn't worth messing with those clowns....in my humble opinion.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 12:40 pm 
I guess the other way to deal with it is to mail the umbrella to the post office nearest the trailhead addressed to yourself care of general delivery. That is how thru hikers provision themselves on the PCT and AT.