Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Animals in unexpected places
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 9:59 pm 
Oops, slight correction. The alleged sea otters were in Lottie, not Bowman Bay. I saw them off and on for at least an hour as I walked around Lottie Point and Lighthouse Point. They were just about smack dab in the middle of the bay so they weren't real close from an vantage point but visible from several different vantages.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Devildog89

Devildog89
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 pm 
Never knew what it was. Last spring my son and I tried to drive to the Summit lake TH, didn't make it and on the way down all of a sudden a branch with very bright green leaves goes running in front of the truck. As it passed we saw the little brown animal that was carrying the branch. After reading some of these stories I am leaning towards mountain beaver.

Semper Fi Dave
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri May 11, 2018 5:43 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
...see animals in what we believe are weird places, but they may not be so unusual in actuality.
Camped on the Sulphide Glacier (Mt Shuksan) a few years ago, and at the time, I thought it quite odd to see a mouse 100s of yards from the vegetation, (and miles from the trailhead). Nothing but rock and snow where we were. I would guess that apparently they had come to discover small bits of food crumbs over the years, but for the first mouse to venture that far onto the glacier to discover anything (and then pass that bit information on to others) seemed very unusual to me.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
gb

gb
PostFri May 11, 2018 6:29 am 
In mouse circles, this is a very famous explorer mouse...

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri May 11, 2018 7:16 am 
moonspots wrote:
for the first mouse to venture that far onto the glacier to discover anything (and then pass that bit information on to others) seemed very unusual to me.
As you sort of hint in your post, you now realize that mice are just about everywhere. They have been reported on the summit of Rainier (pack stowaways, I think, maybe from Camp Schurman or Muir). I know they are at Schurman. A friend had one run across his face while he was in his sleeping bag under the stars

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue May 15, 2018 4:31 pm 
Heard some suspicious noises very loud outside the hotel one night way up in the remotes of NE WA. Probably either a hoot owl or a bear.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostTue May 15, 2018 4:40 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Heard some suspicious noises very loud outside the hotel one night way up in the remotes of NE WA. Probably either a hoot owl or a bear.
That all depends on what you heard. Can you describe the noises? [ yikes...I see that I just joined the 1 k post club..... I won't live long enough to be in the 10 k club like some of you are!]

Dick B

Dick B
PostFri May 18, 2018 7:50 pm 
My dad taught me many things when I was growing up. One of his lessons by example was never let a raccoon loose in your house. We lived on the south end of Whidbey Island at Maxwelton Beach. One night he decided to go out at low tide and pick up some crabs. On his way back across the mud flats he came across a young coon which he was able to gather up. My mom, was at a PTA meeting and dad thought having the coon in the kitchen would be a nice surprise for her when she got home. Needless to say Mr. coon was not happy about being confined so it tried every way it could to exit the house. Chaos reigned. By the time mom got home the coon had managed to find it's way out of the house and dad was left to clean up the mess.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri May 18, 2018 11:13 pm 
Maybe not that uncommon but I had to wait for a Bobcat to finish cleaning itself for 5 minutes in middle of the road at Lake Corpus Christie State Park in Texas.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
pcg

pcg
PostSat May 19, 2018 8:16 am 
I grew up in south Texas and one of the "animals in unexpected places" was the bobcat. Many people think, or did then, that bobcats make good pets. I knew three different people who had raised a bobcat kitten, thinking it would be a good pet. It never ended well as they become very territorial and will mark/spray all over your house, as well as shred the furniture. We had one neighbor whose bobcat, when allowed to do so, would greet visitors to the front door by jumping up on their shoulders and then licking their hair. It felt like your hair was getting pulled out. In the southwest, though mostly elusive, they will sometimes wander into people's yards and just lie down and relax like it was their own yard, which I guess it used to be. We have them on our property here in Oregon (rural outskirts of Portland), but I have never seen one here except as captured on my trail camera or finding them as roadkill.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun May 20, 2018 6:06 pm 
This was recently posted by the Shasta climbing rangers. Apparently there's a skunk living on the summit.

Chico

Chico
PostMon May 21, 2018 4:32 pm 
Mountain goat on US 97 in the Okanogan (Oroville area I think). Not personally sighted but killed on the highway some years back. Now retired from WSDOT but I was working with road kill data at one point and saw the entry in the data.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostMon May 21, 2018 10:20 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
This was recently posted by the Shasta climbing rangers. Apparently there's a skunk living on the summit.
This is even odder than the porcupine I saw on Glacier Peak's summit. A skunk could add to the stink on Shasta's summit along with sulphur.As a geologist I kind of like the sulphur smell of active volcanoes, but never have taken a liking to skunk smell, as cute as they are!

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue May 22, 2018 4:05 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Apparently there's a skunk living on the summit.
Wonder if it's living on climbers food? lol.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
meck

meck
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 8:57 pm 
Spotted today over the SE Olys. They appear to be American White Pelicans, they were circling (on thermals?) slowly heading north as a group. Not sure on what their normal range would be, just thought it was odd to seem them as a group here...

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*