Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's the "rules" for camping and hiking with pets?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puncho

puncho
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 1:10 pm 
Hi all, hoping to get outdoors more. I've seen some beautiful TRs that I'd like to do myself and have a growing list of hikes! The older I get, the more time I want to spend in a certain area to enjoy the peace and quiet but I'd like to follow the "rules" as well. Checking WTA, sometimes it doesn't have the camp or dog icon on the page but then I see TRs where people are camping and/or bringing their pets along. So what's the deal? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 1:25 pm 
General rules: National Parks: Pets only permitted where vehicles permitted (roads, campgrounds, not trails) National Forests: Pets typically permitted with case by case restrictions. In popular areas expect leashes to be required and in a few cases pets are excluded. In less popular areas voice controlled pets are permitted off leash, but understand that voice control means your pet will return to you even if there is a squirrel or deer providing excitement-- the vast majority of pets are not trained to that degree and should remain on leash. Trailhead signage in National Forests are usually pretty clear about leash requirements or bans. The USFS site also typically provides info on pet restrictions, example: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=57577&actid=50 Personally I avoid the super popular trails when hiking with my dog Pick up and pack out dog poo and don't be on of the goofballs that leave the dog poo bag on the side of the trail to pick up on the way back, but never do.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 2:17 pm 
The only area on National Forest Service land where dogs aren't permitted that I'm aware of is the Enchantments permit zone. As RandyHiker said - dogs not permitted on trails in National Parks. I hike with my dogs all the time and there is plenty of USFS land out there where they are allowed. Unfortunately, a whole bunch of the best of it has burned up in the last few years. Many trails, especially those on the West side and those accessed from I-90 and US2 have leash requirements. Check the USFS website for each trail for the lowdown. WTA isn't always accurate. The USFS owns the land, they set the rules. If the USFS website doesn't say anything about dogs for a particular trail then that means they are allowed and no leashes required by default. If there is a restriction, it will be listed. Happy dog-hiking!
DSC_9470
DSC_9470

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 2:39 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
The only area on National Forest Service land where dogs aren't permitted that I'm aware of is the Enchantments permit zone.
also prohibited North of the Teanaway Divide (Headlight Basin, Ingalls Lake, etc.)

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 2:45 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
The only area on National Forest Service land where dogs aren't permitted that I'm aware of is the Enchantments permit zone.
also prohibited North of the Teanaway Divide (Headlight Basin, Ingalls Lake, etc.)
Shoot, I always forget about that one.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:10 pm 
I see at least one group w/ a dog almost every time I go to Lake Ingalls. There are multiple signs clearly indicating no dogs allowed, but as noted above there always some special people that rules don't apply to.

puncho

puncho
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:43 pm 
Thanks all! Good to know WTA isn't accurate as that's what I have been basing it on, and thanks for the FS link. Yah I know about the national parks one and enchantments smile.gif Now how about camping??

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 4:40 pm 
In regular "front country" campgrounds, (such as USFS), dogs must be on leash at all times. Backcountry campgrounds--it varies. However, if your dog tries to steal food from a neighboring camper or poops in someone's campsite or even just jumps on a passerby, there will be yet another complaint that may lead to dogs being forbidden there in the future. And neither you nor your dog will be very popular. I therefore suggest a leash and a longer, lightweight tether. Dogs on leash are really bothered by loose dogs. When I had my late dog (in my avatar), he was attacked by a loose dog. This took place on a narrow cliffside trail where leashes were required. Both my dog (who was on leash) and I came within a hairsbreadth of going off the cliff! After encountering half a dozen loose dogs, none friendly, on that one trip, I have not dared hike that trail since. There are a lot of people who are afraid of dogs (having been bitten) or are allergic to dog dander. Please be considerate and keep your dog under control at all times. I must admit that my main problem when hiking with my late dog was that nearly everyone wanted to stop and pet him! However, we did meet a number of people who thanked me heartily for keeping my dog on leash. While dayhiking on popular trails, I bagged the dog poop and put it in my dog's pack to take home. However, in the back country, I treated the dog's poop the same as mine--buried it in a 6" deep cathole (I guess I should call it a dog hole!) well off the trail and at least 200' from water. As far as the leash went--always on popular trails. Always for the first hour of the day until he worked off excess energy and calmed down a bit. Always in dense forest when we couldn't see what was ahead or behind. In open spaces, I let him run loose. While he considered "come" an optional command, "heel" always brought him to my side immediately. A good course of obedience training is always helpful. So is a beginning agility class--to get the dog used to going over, under, through obstacles, walking along logs, etc. To protect both your dog and wildlife, be sure your dog is up-to-date on all his shots! Also, be sure he's on a tick preventive. Since ticks crawl around on the dog looking for a place to bite and aren't killed until about half an hour after they bite, I always took a small comb and combed the dog each night to remove "hitchhikers" just before letting him in the tent. My dog loved this, and it also cut down on floating dog hair in the tent!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 4:50 pm 
Heres the deal pick up the poop and leash the dog

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 10:43 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
The "no dog rule" and "leash your pet" rule aren't really rules. They are just "guidelines"
I'm pretty sure that if a ranger finds you with fido in the Ingalls lake basin, they can write you a ticket.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 7:40 am 
The urge to be Rolypoly happens.
The urge to be Rolypoly happens.
The rules? Lots of dog treats, either make sure there are lots of "dog watering/wetting" spots or carry a lot of water. Don't push a heavy, cool weather type (Retrievers) in hot weather--take the hot time of the day off preferably near a lake. Carry insulation for them to bed down on at night--even the Chorcolate Labs can get cold. A skinny dog without an undercoat might even need a dog jacket. Be prepared to be grossed out as they make a break to go eat people poop, or roll in it. Make the trip fun. It's kind of like having a kid along. The Used Dog would whine a lot--but he still enjoyed the trips. Oh, and add ear scratches and belly rubs to the list. I hike trails and roads that are not popular. The Used Dog was a dog who stuck to the trail, except when pooping--he liked to go out into the brush for that, could find a trail under the snow, and was a plodder. No worries about him running off. The Slightly Used Dog wears a taser collar when off leash.. She is a runner and can cover too much ground in a hurry so a beep on the collar will bring her back. If not, which is very rare, she will get a shock. We took her along on a bike ride last week and we did 10 miles, she did a lot more and she finally slowed down on the way back with one mile to go. All of my dogs have been or are gentle with people and children. Know if there are rattlesnakes around. Some dogs have an instinct to keep away and some don't. I grew up in snake country and our dogs knew of the danger, then we got my mom a lab and the dog was bitten and died. There are rattlesnake vaccines but a west side vet said it was more of a time adder for you to get your dog to help. I'll be looking into that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 7:51 am 
puncho wrote:
Thanks all! Good to know WTA isn't accurate as that's what I have been basing it on, and thanks for the FS link. Yah I know about the national parks one and enchantments smile.gif Now how about camping??
I am pretty sure that this individual is more concerned with where can and can't they camp at, not dogs in camp. And the excessive dog posting also isn't helping at this point. As a general rule for camping National Parks have designated capmsites which require a reservation or permit that can be obtained online. National Forests also have some designated campsites but you can camp where you wish with some rules such as don't camp right by the trails ect. Also be aware of fire restrictions, I honestly can't say the actual rules as I have a campstove and don't really make fires at all. But at certain elevation fires are typically not allowed, I am sure someone can add to this to clarify. Also be aware of burn bans that are in place. It is best to get a campstove such as jetboil or many of the others to camp with.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 6:07 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Heres the deal pick up the poop and leash the dog
So dogmatic!
RandyHiker wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
The "no dog rule" and "leash your pet" rule aren't really rules. They are just "guidelines"
I'm pretty sure that if a ranger finds you with fido in the Ingalls lake basin, they can write you a ticket.
Kinda surprised Bootpathguy's sarcasm went over your head their Randy. He's obviously being highly sarcastic and railing against those who treat the rules as guidelines.
puncho wrote:
Can you be more specific in what you mean by "camping?" Are you talking about car camping at campgrounds, unimproved camp spots accessible by car, or backcountry hike-in camping? For hike-in stuff the same rules apply as apply to the trail that leads to the camp spot. For car camping, I'd keep my pups on a leash 'cause I don't want them bothering other campers. Leashes are rarely required (and would actually be dangerous) at places like this:
DSC_0118
DSC_0118

settebello

settebello
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 12:01 pm 
Don't take your cat. They hate that sort of thing.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 1:52 pm 
settebello wrote:
Don't take your cat. They hate that sort of thing.
Not true. Evidently, you've never run into Hobbs, a beautiful Bengal cat, on the trail. I've also seen cats on the Snow Lake (Enchantments) trail and at June Lake. They seemed quite content.