Forum Index > Trail Talk > Single most important skill to teach to a beginner?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:05 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide all people into two groups, and those who don't.
Yes, 2 groups: Single Malt Scotch Drinkers and Heretic Blasphemers.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:09 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
For whatever reason, I'm not a fan of the base Ardbeg Ten. Do the Corryvreckan and Uigeadail have different flavor profiles
Yes, quite different to my palate. Uigeadail is a bit mellower, Corryvreckan a bit more peaty and peppery, not unlike Lagavulin

markweth

markweth
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 11:30 am 
I think that learning how to argue with others about hiking ethics and etiquette on the internet is a skill that has gone unremarked upon and is exceedingly important for new hikers to learn. wink.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 1:04 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Yes, 2 groups: Single Malt Scotch Drinkers and Heretic Blasphemers.
Two groups, Peat Monster Single Malt Scotches and Sherry Bomb Single Malt Scotches. I actually enjoy both. I avoid what I consider overpriced Scotches, though sometimes I venture into them. Personally, Ardbeg mostly falls into the overpriced category as does The Macallan. Ardbeg has gone to mostly non-age stated presentations, which diminishes them somewhat in my opinion. Having said that, Ardbeg Ulgeadail is VERY good. And one of my very favorite Islay Scotch whiskies is Laphroaig Quarter Cask, both non-age stated. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 1:47 pm 
I am not a super experienced Scotch drinker, meaning I haven't had a wide variety of the rare and high-dollar brands and batches. I have found one Islay distillery that I really like: Bowmore. The 12 and 18 are both real good...never tried the 26 year. $$$ They have a 10 year too, and it is quite pleasant, to me anyway! Och Aye Laddie! And, to keep thread drift down a bit: if you are in the mountains, finding some good water for your Scotch is an important skill! But, as has been pointed out, you cannot "distill" the quiver of skills needed to travel happily in the mountains down to a single most important skill. BTW...how do you pronounce "Islay" if you're Scotch? iss-lay, or eye-lay? I have been corrected using both pronunciations, so maybe it is I-slay as in "I slayed that bottle of Scotch"

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm 
The most important things to teach a beginner? Show you care about the well-being of other people by doing this: 1. Before you leave, tell someone where you’re going, the route you’ll use to get there, and when you expect to be home. Also give them the phone number of your local authorities to call if you’re overdue. 2. Bring and know how to use the ten essentials. (Don’t just bring a map and compass, truly know how to use them.) That will lower the chance you’ll need to be rescued, and if it should come to that, lower the chance that someone will be injured or killed trying to rescue you.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 6:26 pm 
Thanks Blue Dome. That gets my vote for best and most productive post in this thread.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 9:03 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Thanks Blue Dome. That gets my vote for best and most productive post in this thread.
Well let's not get too carried away. I wrote down the titles of some scotch labels mentioned here that I think I'm going to like a lot.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 pm 
agree.gif Good scotch and a good cabin fever thread. Spring cannot be far off.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:19 pm 
My go to is Pendleton or Crown if I want to carry the extra weight. I've hauled up a bottle or two of Snoqualmie Falls IPA. wink.gif

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:38 pm 
Schenk wrote:
BTW...how do you pronounce "Islay" if you're Scotch? iss-lay, or eye-lay?
I hear it as EYE-la in Scotland.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:00 am 
The Scotch say EYE-lay

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:37 am 
Jura 7 wood is whisky of the month at total wine and more. While not an islay whisky, they get their malted barley from them, so it has some smoky peat notes. They also use longer neck stills so they get a lighter smoother product. I prefer my peat smoke dialed to 11+. I also prefer to drink my scotch once it's opened, not keep it stored in bottles. Nothing worse then letting good whisky go bad by sitting around for a year half full.. if you must, immediately transfer it to a smaller vessel, or get one of those co2 things that people who can't Finnish a whole bottle of wine use. Has any had the pleated single malt from Finland? Can't wait to taste the west land made with Washington peat. They need to keep the barrels in Westport though.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:46 am 
Schenk wrote:
BTW...how do you pronounce "Islay" if you're Scotch?
With a heavy brouge. clown.gif I've mostly heard it as eye-a-la. Kind of a 3 syllable word slurred together.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:46 am 
If there's peat in Jura, I can't taste it. To my palate, Jura tastes like a wimpy Highland single malt. Fine if that's your thing, I suppose.