Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pea soup lake question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Adampegg
Atom

Adampegg
Atom
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 pm 
I'm beginning to put together a hike that I could use some initial advise on. I'm aware you can walk across frozen pea soup lake to summit mt Daniel. My question is can you packraft across it and get up Daniel later in the season?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 12:41 am 
might be a full-width crevasse you need to get through. i'm sure DIYsteve will chime in.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 5:20 am 
Not pea soup, or an answer to your question, but there are a few good photos of Daniel and hinmann in August posted on tay. http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=38815.0

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 7:53 am 
Adampegg wrote:
My question is can you packraft across it and get up Daniel later in the season?
Sure, one could float across the lake. Then what? The Lynch is pretty steep where it plunges into the lake, and it's ablated later season. It'd go with the right gear and skills, although I wouldn't call it a "hike." After the lake melts out, most parties doing the Lynch Glaicer climb ascend from near the low spot on the Lynch/Daniel divide, then traverse up dirty benches E (climber's left) of the Lynch, gaining the glacier above the steep rollover at est. 6700' (that's a guess), then negotiate crevasses above that. Another less frequently done option is to work down from Dip Top Gap to the lake outlet, cross the outlet, then work up the glacier finger (obvious on map) or a rib system to the fat part of the Lynch. Two of the pics in ale capone's link provide a good look at Pea Soup Lake and the lower Lynch in late season conditions.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 am 
Was way easy back in the day, so it goes. frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 8:37 am 
and back in the day the lake was the color of pea soup

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 9:24 am 
Wow...Pea Soup looks WAAAY different than the last time I was there! Bigger and blue! I know they have different sources, but is Jade lake still "jade" or has it gone to the Blue Side too?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 10:29 am 
Was at Jade last year it is still “jade” Peasoup is blue though.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 11:25 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Was at Jade last year it is still “jade” Peasoup is blue though.
Lake color in glaciated regions is a quite reliable indicator about current status of any glaciers that might be contributing meltwater to the lake basin. A blue lake suggests either no glacial melt contribution, or water from a stagnant, essentially non- moving ice mass. The latter would be the case for the Lynch Glacier and (the formerly) Pea Soup Lake. A greenish-gray lake indicates active glacial movement. The color is due to optical properties of fine- grained "rock flour" suspended in the water, t,he rock flour being the result of abrasion due to ice-entrained rock ( the " sandpaper") abrading rock (" the wood").!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 12:00 pm 
I climbed Lynch Glacier above Jade Lake, then down to Pea Soup where I went to the East side. There are some tarns just before it drops down towards the PCT. From there hiked up that east ridge to Mt Daniel. I have went along that north side of Pea Soup to that same tarn area but it was hairy in places. From those tarns down to the PCT can be a bit dicey but you have to stay on that north side of the crevasse and catch the left side up high. Might be easier if you plan on pack rafting to just go the way you came up above Jade. You could always get adventurous and slide down Lynch Glacier on your raft. smile.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 1:51 pm 
timberghost wrote:
I climbed Lynch Glacier above Jade Lake, then down to Pea Soup where I went to the East side.
This is confusing. Sounds like you ascended from Jade up the (now stagnant) glacier remnant to Dip Top Gap. That glacier remnant is not the Lynch. The Lynch Glacier is situated above and directly S of Pea Soup Lake, between the lake and Daniel true summit. I did the descent from low spot E of Pea Soup Lake down to the PCT on skis (mostly). There's an old miner's tread in places.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 2:32 pm 
Hard to tell from the pictures but it seems like you could avoid the steepest part of the glacier if so inclined by scrambling rocks. Personally being a lakebagger I would continue down the magestic outlet and explore jewels around Hinman, saving the summit of Daniel for another day.

iron

iron
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 2:43 pm 
Tom wrote:
I would continue down the magestic outlet and explore jewels around Hinman, saving the summit of Daniel for another day.
looks like really nice terrain there...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 2:57 pm 
Tom wrote:
Personally being a lakebagger I would continue down the magestic outlet and explore jewels around Hinman, saving the summit of Daniel for another day.
ditto.gif A nice A-to-B trip would go from Marmot/Jade over Dip Top, down to the outlet, work down and across to Foss tarns, then over Hinman to La Bohn Lakes and out from there (e.g., Necklace Valley or Chain/Dutch Miller Gap/Waptus). Lynch Glacier is a classic ski descent early season (as soon as road opens), usually accessed via traverse of top of Daniel massif from the E.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 7:50 pm 
PackRaft + Ice Axe + Crampons :/