Forum Index > Gear Talk > Lightweight Packs for Heavy Loads
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 8:52 am 
All my backpacking is with my wife and young daughters. They're tough but I still shoulder a majority of the load. My pack is heavy. I've thrown plenty of $$$ at cutting weight with ultralight gear. The last "heavy" component is my Osprey Aether 85 which weighs in somewhere north of 5 lbs. It carries heavy loads very comfortably, but definitely has a LOT of bells and whistles that add considerable weight. Lots of largish sub-2lb packs out there. But none that I've found that are designed to haul 40+ lb loads. They all seem structured for <=25 lb carries. Any recommendations on reasonable light load haulers that carry really well? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 8:57 am 
McHale

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am 
Seek Outside https://seekoutside.com/divide-4500-ultralight-backpack-gray/ https://seekoutside.com/blog/seek-outside-divide-ultralight-backpack/ I have used one for a few years on some 7-8 day trips, hands down the most comfortable backpack I have ever carried. My starting weight has been around 40lbs. I've previously carried Osprey, ULA and HMG packs. Nothing comes close to Seek Outside's harness and frame as far as comfort, while still coming in right around 2.5lbs. I know people that have used them for hunting and the frame can easily handle 100lbs. I opted for the X-Pac 420D fabric, waterproof and extremely durable! They're also reasonably priced and handmade in the USA

dmy

dmy
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 am 
Exped Lightning https://sectionhiker.com/exped-lightning-60-backpack-review/ I used one for over 2k miles of the PCT last year. No issues with the heavy water carries. I ripped one of the load lifters on a tree bushwhacking this winter. Exped sent me a new one. I have it listed in 'The Trading Post'.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:10 am 
Just keep in mind that shaving a couple pounds out of your pack won’t make an appreciable difference in total weight when you plan to carry loads of 40+ lbs. In that realm, proper support and load transfer is far more important in creating a positive user experience. Now, if you can achieve the needed support, load transfer, and comfort and still shave weight, it’s a win / win. Of the “cottage” UL pack manufacturers, Hyperlite Mountain Gear packs have a decent reputation as gear haulers, with their 4400ci packs used by many pack rafters for multi day expeditions. And if you can navigate the antiquated website and custom order process, McHale packs have a great reputation.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:22 am 
If you're staying on trail, get an external frame pack. For off-trail, climbing, scrambling or ski touring, the best relatively lightweight big load carrier to around 55 lbs. payload is a McHale SARC, around 3 to 4 lbs. with Guide belt, depending on how it's configured. Bayonets weigh a bit more but help you keep the COG high. If you're carrying really big loads (55 lbs.+), check out McHale CM belt. No mass produced internal frame pack carries 30 lb.+ payloads as well as a custom-made McHale. If you live in or near Seattle, there's no need to navigate the McHale site. Check it out, then contact Dan for a fitting in his workshop.

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:35 am 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Hyperlite Mountain Gear packs have a decent reputation as gear haulers
I've used both, will never go back to HMG as they barely have a frame and the padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt are very thin in comparison. The hybrid external/internal Seek Outside harness is a game changer. In addition to a lightweight and bombproof frame, the Divide also has load lifters, durable waterproof fabric, a front pocket and side pockets, while being $100 cheaper than an HMG Porter (and several hundreds of dollars cheaper than a McHale). If you're ever in Portland you can see them at the Mountain Shop

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm 
McHale bypass/bayonet system > load lifter straps. No contest

jared_j

jared_j
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:53 pm 
I have had great luck with the Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 for hauling heavy loads (35-45 lbs). It's 3 lbs and has suspension that works for me. The closure system really works for me carrying crampons, a bear canister, or a bulky sleeping pad up top.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 pm 
There's no easy answer, because it's all about how the suspension connects the load to your body, and we're all shaped a bit differently; we have different posture, different walking styles, different pain tolerance. I dumped my six pound, 30 year old pack for a Crux AK70 and couldn't be happier. Just over 3 lbs, huge, waterproof (!) and burly as all get out- made from kevlar cordura. Bombproof. Ultra minimalistic, but easily customizable. I tried the Expeds and the ULAs, and liked them a lot, but the Crux carried more comfortably- for me- with a 30 to 35 Lb load.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 pm 
contour5 wrote:
There's no easy answer, because it's all about how the suspension connects the load to your body, and we're all shaped a bit differently; we have different posture. . . .
= endorsement of custom-made pack

schifferj

schifferj
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:55 pm 
Tomlike wrote:
If you're ever in Portland you can see them at the Mountain Shop
Do they have them for sale at the Mountain Shop?

contour5

contour5
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 pm 
Quote:
endorsement of custom-made pack
Or just finding one that fits properly
Quote:
Uniquely within the AK range, the AK70 also features a dual-wrap hip belt. Although not heavily padded or particularly large, this transfers the load onto the hips very effectively and enables heavy loads to be carried with some small modicum of comfort.
I totally endorse the dual-wrap hip belt.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:32 am 
If your current pack is comfortable with the loads you expect to carry, I'd stick with it for now. As you've found out, the lighter packs just aren't made for heavier loads. Even the ones that say you can carry up to 40 lbs. are probably overrated. Children grow fast, and all too soon you will be loading them down so you can keep up with them. That will be the time to invest in a new, lighter pack. You can always do some judicious trimming on your current pack; you might even be able to lose as much as a pound.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 am 
slabbyd wrote:
The last "heavy" component is my Osprey Aether 85 which weighs in somewhere north of 5 lbs.
Cut off the bells and whistles. That's what I do.

Art is an adventure.