Forum Index > Gear Talk > can I re-treat sil-nylon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat May 12, 2018 8:09 am 
and I am thinking 3-m fabric protect. for the nylon bottom of my tarp tent.. also nixwax or ? for the down bags...I like the water based stuff but there are several diff. fabrics, several are water repellent for sleeping bags ...WHAT THOUGHT HAVE YA ON TREATING THE OUTSIDE OF DOWN BAGS?? WE DID A trip and 3 days into rain and tent condensation the bags were failing...should have u.l. bivi sacks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat May 12, 2018 8:32 am 
Several years ago, I was told of a spray you can use to make silnylon tent material more waterproof. I wrote it down, but of course cannot now find the note. However, an email to Tarptent or Gossamer Gear should provide the info. For silnylon fabrics, the spray would have to be silicon-based. I haven't yet had any problems with waterproofness of my silnylon tent. For sleeping bags, I've had good success following the laundering instructions (which recommends specific products both for washing and for renewing the durable water repellency of the shell) on the Western Mountaineering website. I once tried a bivy, and even though the top was a DWR material, i had a lot of condensation inside it. It didn't help that because I am a restless sleeper, the waterproof bottom of the bivy ended up on top!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun May 13, 2018 10:39 am 
I found the link, courtesy of Henry Shires of Tarptent: Atsko Silicone Water Guard From Henry's post on Backpacking.net Sept. 11, 2011:
Quote:
I've seen it in our local hardware store and you can easily find it other places online (Amazon etc.) One spray can is sufficient for any poncho or tent. Be sure to thoroughly wipe down the surface with a wet towel (and let dry) before applying. Spray on and wipe in well with a paper towel. Let dry. Repeat. Two coats will do wonders for restoring water repellency.
It's still available at amazon.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSun May 13, 2018 1:58 pm 
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun May 13, 2018 6:04 pm 
Jaberwock wrote:
https://bedrockandparadox.com/2018/04/30/recoating-silnylon-shelters/
Interesting. Like the author, I also use GE Silicone II cut with mineral spirits to seal silnylon seams. I have painted some relatively large patches to seal DIY mods with lots of stitching (e.g., Stephenson 2R tieout loops w/gussets) with good results. Painting the entire item would take quite a bit of time. Drying will take even longer Don't try this unless you've got a clean dry place to allow it to dry while the tent is set up as taut as possible. Dust on the fabric during the dry would be a mess. Now for the nitpicking: The author incorrectly refers to "dissolving" the GE Sil II in mineral spirits. That's not quite right. It is not a solution. The mineral spirit/GE Sil II mix is a suspension. "Diluting" is the more accurate term. The distinction matters. As with many suspensions, the silicone tends to settle out with time are requires occasional stirring.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon May 14, 2018 9:39 am 
I've painted fairly large stripes of GE Silicon / Mineral Spirits on the inside of my tarp tents to make the floor less slick. ( 1" foam brush) Sure makes for less sliding around on a not perfectly level site. So applying it to large area is not a problem. I'd simply say the silicon is gooey enough to be spread evenly with enough mineral spirits. In application, the mineral spirts evaporates constantly. So you are always adding a bit, and stirring between seams when applying it.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 14, 2018 5:37 pm 
InFlight wrote:
In application, the mineral spirits evaporates constantly. So you are always adding a bit, and stirring between seams when applying it.
Yup, especially in hot dry conditions. In the article, the author says he makes a more diluted mixture for retreating vs. seam sealing, which makes sense. If doing an entire tent or tarp, it would make sense to apply early morning when temps are lower, then allowing to dry (and eventually cure) in the heat of the day.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu May 17, 2018 8:32 pm 
thanks granny hiker...et all...the tarp tent is holding up well, ....just thought at some point may need a coat of something...it is 12 yrs. old...