Forum Index > Gear Talk > InReach mini?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun May 06, 2018 5:21 pm 
Anyone going to try the Inreach Mini that is just coming out? A fraction of the size of the classic InReach, but with a jacked up price because....well it's now a Garmin and all Garmin products are ridiculously overpriced. (I own several) Biggest thing I am wondering about is that extremely exposed SOS button sticking out on the side of the unit. Is that poised for accidental triggering, much worse than the current problem of accidental triggering on the older unit? Garmin....able to take a successful product and drive it into uselessness....while upping the price. Somehow, with that micro screen they claim it can still be used as a GPS, I assume paired with a phone, although having most of its functionality offloaded to your phone oddly raised its price instead of lowering it. I still think it was a sad day when Garmin bought out Inreach.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun May 06, 2018 5:58 pm 
The SOS button is hidden behind a cover. So it's probably hard to accidentally press it. But I've not seen one other than the DC Rainmaker review on YouTube.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue May 08, 2018 8:09 am 
If it's a still a stand alone text and sat phone it would be cool to have a lighter version. If it requires another Bluetooth device to function, than I really don't like the concept at that price level. To me the GPS and Maps is not that important of a feature. I carry a paper map, and I already have a GPS/mapping app on my iPhone. Garmin's existing business model is being replaced by smart phones & apps, so this was a good move for them to get into sat phones.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
dla

dla
PostSat May 12, 2018 2:25 pm 
Has potential. Love to see how it stacks up against SPOTX cost-wise - especially factoring in SPOT's hidden network fees. Just in time too as my SPOT subscription is about to expire. Last year was $232, this year will be $260 (unless new models pressure price decreases). I wonder if Garmin holds your account hostage requiring an active credit card like SPOT?

pcg

pcg
PostSun May 13, 2018 5:19 pm 
dla wrote:
Love to see how it stacks up against SPOTX cost-wise
I can't imagine why the subscription cost would be any different than it is for the older/heavier version of the same thing. I'm charged about $15.70/month for my inReach Explorer when I have my subscription activated. If this is nothing more that a lighter and smaller version of the same thing then that's still a welcome improvement. Not worth upgrading for me, but for someone who hasn't made the move to inReach yet this would be nice, if you can afford it.