Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rename This Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 6:41 am 
Excellent! I have never figured out why part of it was named after John Wayne. I like Cascalouse but that would be hard for a lot of folks to spell and pronounce. Rename

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:07 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Excellent! I have never figured out why part of it was named after John Wayne.
How about because he was a great American worthy of this sort of thing. WHY?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
gb

gb
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:29 am 
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:36 am 
If you want to build a trail across eastern Washington you were a lot more likely to get folks there to support it if called John Wayne than Hillary Clinton trail. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am 
The trail is already there. I always thought that "The Iron Horse Trail" was perfectly fine -- no idea who or why the "John Wayne" label started getting applied-- did he donate some money to the cause or something?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:41 am 
I favor Iron Horse because it's an old RR corridor.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
How about because he was a great American worthy of this
He dodged the draft in WWII:
Quote:
Wayne was, in reality, a draft dodger. America’s archetypal soldier was in fact a chicken hawk. He was a cheerleader and champion of militaristic patriotism and combat he had never experienced. Wayne had “other priorities” during WWII — achieving superstardom (and saving his neck) was more important than defeating fascism. Much like Vice President Dick Cheney, who sought numerous deferments during the Vietnam War, Wayne was the quintessential war wimp.
My father, who was severely injured in WWII and suffered the rest of his life, had no respect for John Wayne because he played WWII heroes but didn't have the balls to actually serve. Other WWII veterans shared my father's contempt of Wayne. Many Hollywood stars duly served, e.g., James Stewart, James Coburn, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Clark Gable. Those guys were the real heroes. John Wayne was not a hero nor a great American. He just played one in the movies.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:51 am 
FWIW: JW was in Seattle for some film (McQ) and my next door neighbor was involved in the Seattle advertising business had some involvement in the film's production-- JW was drunk during every encounter and cropped a feel on my neighbor's daughter when he brought her to meet the famous actor.

RodF

RodF
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 9:11 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
The trail is already there. I always thought that "The Iron Horse Trail" was perfectly fine -- no idea who or why the "John Wayne" label started getting applied-- did he donate some money to the cause or something?
In 1985, the state Land Commissioners renamed the Iron Horse State Park Trail at the urging of Ken Wilcox, who represented the 200 member "John Wayne Pioneer Wagons and Riders". He stated "John Wayne typified the West, cowboys, covered wagons, and horseback riding, etc. Michael Wayne, his son, has given permission to use John Wayne's name for the trail." The affinity for the name was doubtless in part due to the politics of the Reagan era. John Wayne had never visited and had no connection to the Iron Horse Trail. In contrast, in the 1960s John Wayne did visit and purchase land on Sequim Bay, and his estate donated part of the land for the public John Wayne Marina here.
Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission wrote:
Why change the name of the trail? The name of the trail is not consistent with State Parks’ policy for naming trails. The agency’s naming policy gives preference to trail names that are based on geographic locations, culturally significant events and places, geologic features, or relevant botanic or biological references.
But then George never visited Washington, either... clown.gif My suggestion is J Harlan Bretz, the geologist who first understood this trail's landscape.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 am 
I like Iron Horse also. Most folks can spell and pronounce Iron Horse. But Cascalouse in which the louse part is pronounced loose, has a more local touch to our geographic features. Why I don't like the current John Wayne name? Too many folks have real life and movies confused. See big Steve's post about WWll-- although not all were fit to serve. My dad worked on Hanford for example. My mom was a Marine and repaired planes at training bases. She would point out that some famous stars and sports figures did their part by entertaining troops. I don't think John Wayne did that though. How about Trailie McTrail Face😀.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:13 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
If you want to build a trail across eastern Washington you were a lot more likely to get folks there to support it if called John Wayne
Well, kinda sorta. http://northcascadehiker.com/like-to-hike/john-wayne-trail

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 3:09 pm 
Iron Horse always seemed like a perfectly apt name for the trail, since it follows the railroad right of way.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 6:52 pm 
The Milwaukee Road. Iron Horse second choice. John Wayne? Not even on a shortlist.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:47 pm 
I like Milwaukee Road similar to the Hiawatha Trail in Idaho. I'm not sure what the Iron Horse part of the trail is like in the Cascades but the portion of the trail in Eastern Washington is nothing to write home about. I welcome the opportunity to use my Discover Pass in this new State Park.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 9:11 pm 
Quote:
How about because he was a great American worthy of this sort of thing.
How was he a great American? Come back and tell us at least one or two facts that support your idea.

don't believe everything you think
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 9:45 am 
I left a comment saying to name the whole thing the John Wayne Trail. I love riding my electric mountain bike on it.