Forum Index > Trail Talk > Single most important skill to teach to a beginner?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WaState

WaState
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 7:31 pm 
What do you think? I think it is to watch where your going and know how to backtrack before you get totally lost. If every beginner hiker did this it I think it would greatly cut the number of missing people every year. It is simple , hiker misses the main trail flollows a false trail and keeps on going until lost. This is even more likely downhill, no one wants to backtrack uphill. !!!!! For me , for years when a kid to early thirties my only navagation skill was watching where I was going and back tracking and I never got lost. You learn to pay attention if this is your only navagation skill. As I got older and going farther out I started to use compass, gps and maps etc. Does anyone teach back tracking or is it an assumed skilll? I wonder as I suspect many people do not have this concept.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WaState

WaState
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 7:45 pm 
It is fairly simple ,, your hiking and trail fades away or disappears on you, now what? If going downhill the temptation is to keep on going, if at end of day and getting dark, this gets many of the inexperenced every year. Otherwise you backtrack , do some circles etc until you find main trail again. This skill or instinct is usually missing for those who did not grow up in the woods. The new hiker who grew up in the city is in particular danger.

WaState

WaState
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 7:55 pm 
Do a experiment, ask a few new or less experienced hikers what they would do if when hiking and they lost the trail??? What next, what would they do next ??? Same question if off trail and lost their way??

huron

huron
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 pm 
The largest obstacle for absolute beginners is how to crap. Once they master that, the rest is easy.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 9:26 pm 
Back tracking is good. It falls under the broader category of thinking and being thoughtful. Compass is essential. It's one of the 10 essentials. If you can't use it, then you are not effectively carrying the 10 essentials. Knowing how to read a map proceeds everything.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 am 
I recall talking to some SAR folks from the Gunnison CO area once. They believed that regardless of the proximate cause of nasty SAR cases they'd dealt with, that hypothermia was often an early domino to fall which led to other dominoes leading to whatever triggered the need for rescue and first aid. I'd say knowing how to stay warm, hydrated, and fueled so as to avoid hypothermia would have to be up there.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 3:50 am 
Stay within your experience and comfort level so you can enjoy the outing instead of being miserable. Wife and I blew that one with pre-schooler on 1 mile, wet snow hike to Barclays Lake. Cost us several years of "No, I don't wanna do that." Tom

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 7:25 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Stay within your experience and comfort level so you can enjoy the outing instead of being miserable. Wife and I blew that one with pre-schooler on 1 mile, wet snow hike to Barclays Lake. Cost us several years of "No, I don't wanna do that." Tom
This I don't know how many times I have bitten off more than I or someone in my group can chew then the next day they don't want to move on at all or start heading back rather than keep the planned route.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 7:51 am 
Driving on forest roads with turnouts. Don't push the speed, slow down for the curves and be ready to either duck into a turnout or get over enough on curves. I hate running into yahoos who are in the middle of the road and going too fast on a blind curve. Even though you are a couple hours from Seattle, there is still traffic on the roads in the woods. Oh, and don't block the road when parking or park in front blocking a gate. If you are in cow country and the gate is closed, open it and drive through and then close it. In other words, learn the etiquette of getting to the trail and then work on your hiking skills.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 9:23 am 
Listen to the people around you and try to be part of the community.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 9:31 am 
I guess it depends on what you include in the definition of skill, but I'd say number 1 is "be prepared." That's true for beginners and veterans alike. I agree with the hypothermia comment above--that's usually what gets people. So if they'd just carry everything needed to stay warm on an unexpected night out, there'd be a lot more good outcomes. And I don't mean a sparkie firestarter or any skill learnt from Bear Grylls, I mean warm clothes and a way to keep them dry.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 am 
Yeah hypothermia-- I recently refreshed my wilderness first aid training and there was a significant change in the protocol from when I took it the last time. Previously the protocol called for doing a detailed spinal check before moving the patient at all. The new protocol is a very basic check ( is the patient obviously mangled) and placing a foam pad under and insulation over very quickly. Even a minor injury that immobilized the patient can become life threatening situation once hypothermia sets in. The change in protocol came from army medic experience in Afghanistan. A - airway (is it blocked) B - breathing C - circulation (including arterial bleeding) D - deformity (is the spine obviously compromised) E - environment (protect from rockfall, icefall, etc, cold or hot)

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 10:23 am 
Study! Study for the area you plan on exploring. And not just once. Do it several evenings in a row Some here would laugh at me. I'll study a area that some here would perceive as the most basic "off trail 101" destinations. Or even places that have / had a very established and we'll traveled trail. Paper maps, GMap terrain maps, & Google Earth. I'll have a paper map spread out on the table and 2 open screen. One with GMAP4 on a tablet and a laptop with Google Earth. Combine all that with a search of trip reports for your destination It's so cool when your physically there and you can see the terrain, land marks, creeks, waterfalls, boulders the size of city buses, cliff bands etc.. that you've been studying for the last week. Although you've never physically been there, your virtual visit makes it feel familiar. You'll see the things that people told you to be aware of. Either the dangers and / or the awesome things. So Cool!!!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 10:51 am 
WaState wrote:
What do you think?
To actually think. You're not "in civilization", so think about where you are, where you've been, what you're doing, and how you're going to get back to the car.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Apr 04, 2018 11:02 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Study for the area you plan on exploring
I agree with this (particularly in a subset sort of way), and I also think there is more than one thing/multiple priorities newbies need to learn. There are basic hazards people should be aware of. . . I was sobered last Saturday by the sight of a 6-pack of young folks heading to the edge of the Teneriffe cornice for the views. . . their reply to "Stop, it's likely corniced", was "What is a cornice". . . and then, "Would it be OK if we crawled up to it?". . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler