Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ticks are everywhere this year
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue May 01, 2018 9:40 am 
Has anyone had any experience with Picaridin based repellents and ticks? It works like a champ on mosquitos and sooort of well on flies.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostTue May 01, 2018 11:10 am 
we spray permethrin on outside of our packs every year. the packs get at least as much exposure to brush as your shirt, sit on the ground, & could bring ticks inside your tent or car.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue May 01, 2018 1:00 pm 
In re Picaridin: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/insect-repellent/buying-guide/index.htm
Quote:
Products with any one of these three active ingredients—deet, oil of lemon eucalyptus, and picaridin—generally worked well in our tests. And all are safe, even for pregnant women, when used appropriately. Here’s what you need to know about each
Quote:
Picaridin This is a synthetic repellent modeled after a compound that occurs naturally in the black pepper plant. We recommend two 20 percent picaridin products, both sprays. But concentration matters: Another picaridin product, this one just 5 percent, was one of our lowest-scoring insect repellents. And, at least when it comes to picaridin, form seems to matter, too. We found that the 20 percent lotion we tested did not work as well as the 20 percent picaridin spray. Finally, while picaridin seems safe, even for use on infants, it can irritate your skin and eyes, so you should use it carefully (see below).

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostTue May 01, 2018 1:07 pm 
There you go? ditto.gif So if you cover all your clothes with a coating, when you sweat and soak your clothes with it. Does it get absorbed into your skin? Turning into a mixture of repellent and sweat?

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu May 03, 2018 8:12 am 
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu May 03, 2018 9:05 am 
The Lead Dog wrote:
There you go? ditto.gif So if you cover all your clothes with a coating, when you sweat and soak your clothes with it. Does it get absorbed into your skin? Turning into a mixture of repellent and sweat?
If you're referring to Permethrin, no. It goes through some kind of chemical change when it dries and bonds to the clothing fibers. The effect survives several washings (a half dozen or so for home-soaked clothes, 10 times that for store-bought no-bug clothes). Or so I've read.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu May 03, 2018 12:28 pm 
Yeah none too sure about the Consumer Reports information as I'm pretty sure I've seen lots of studies debunking the ideas of lemon or eucalyptus oil.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri May 04, 2018 9:05 pm 
Came home with a tick today from an area I've never had a tick before that I go to every spring many times. Grrr. Luckily it crawled onto the towel I was drying my hair with so it's now on it's way to becoming Romaine Lettuce fertilizer from the West Point Sewage Treatment Plant.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun May 06, 2018 12:06 pm 
Counted 10 ticks on my pant legs during a recent weekend. Not sure if this is unusual in southern Nevada, but it's the most I've ever seen.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun May 06, 2018 1:18 pm 
Traildoggie wrote:
we spray permethrin on outside of our packs every year. the packs get at least as much exposure to brush as your shirt, sit on the ground, & could bring ticks inside your tent or car.
I'd never thought to do that, but good point! I think I will start (especially since I practically have a lifetime supply of Permethrin).

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun May 06, 2018 2:37 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Traildoggie wrote:
I'd never thought to do that, but good point! I think I will start (especially since I practically have a lifetime supply of Permethrin).
Spraying on the packs works well, and is a slight deterrent to the ubiquitous ants that hitchhike on the pack also. Otherwise packs work very well as a carrier for bringing ticks home.

friluftsliv
Dustin Trails

Dustin Trails
PostSun May 06, 2018 8:00 pm 
Found a tick on me after a hike of McDonald Mountain the other day. Feisty little bugger, took a good chunk of skin with it.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm 
News article in billings gazette about many ticks being found on dogs after a walk. Article mentions bourbon and heartland virus from ticks.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat May 26, 2018 8:02 am 
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 10:15 am 
I just got back from a week on the east coast and they are apparently really bad there this year as well. Picked up two on my leg just outside of Ithaca.