Forum Index > Trail Talk > Smugmug buys Flickr (free accounts now limited to 1000 photos w/ excess purged Feb 2019)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 pm 
http://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/ Good news is we have cached* flickr images posted on NWH so there is no need to pay flickr a ransom in perpetuity to preserve display of your images here (we will display the cached version). If you only use flickr to post images here it should be safe to delete them on flickr (to get under the 1000 photo limit to be able to post more). *Flickr images posted prior to and still available as of Jan 2019 were cached. Flickr images posted thereafter are automatically cached. Due to space constraints we only cache the largest size available up to ~1600 pixels wide or tall. If the image is a panorama or a very tall image (longer side more than 2x the shorter side) we cache the largest size available and resize as necessary to constrain the shorter side to 1024 pixels. The lightbox will display the cache (with links to flickr to view larger sizes or video). Flickr videos will not be cached so if you are debating what 1000 photos or videos to keep on flickr, videos would be the logical first choice.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 9:47 am 
smugmug buys flickr I wonder what changes this will bring...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 3:48 pm 
I trust Smug Mug more than I trusted Verizon (purchased Yahoo) to keep Flickr going. One bad sign -- Smug Mug has a page to announce this and it's one of those full frame scrolling photo pages. It's clearly meant for a mobile phone, but it displays really badly on a desktop browser with a big window. I hope everything they do isn't optimized for mobile. That's one reason I've stuck with Flickr. If you sign up for news you get this email: We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers. SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work. Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better. We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018. If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy. Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog. We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family. Thanks, The Flickr Team

trestle

trestle
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 am 
Quote:
Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better. We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.
These 2 paragraphs seem to contradict each other. If nothing will change with accessing your flickr account, why would you need to download your content and delete your account?

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 10:05 am 
trestle wrote:
Quote:
Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better. We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.
These 2 paragraphs seem to contradict each other. If nothing will change with accessing your flickr account, why would you need to download your content and delete your account?
Nothing will change with accessing your account means that the process of logging in and accessing your photos will remain the same after the transition to SmugMug. But the terms of service will change under SmugMug on 25 May 2018. So if you don't want your photos hosted under the new ToS then you will need to delete your photos from the service prior to that date or they will automatically transfer to the new ToS.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 10:03 am 
I remember when webshots suddenly became Smile and I lost 20k plus online photos like that but Smugthug is going to “empower” users and under new TOS. toothless.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Apr 26, 2018 6:58 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
One bad sign -- Smug Mug has a page to announce this and it's one of those full frame scrolling photo pages. It's clearly meant for a mobile phone, but it displays really badly on a desktop browser with a big window. I hope everything they do isn't optimized for mobile. That's one reason I've stuck with Flickr.
Like it or not, mobile friendly design is here to stay and isn't going anywhere. The fact that Flickr took so long to adopted a mobile friendly format is a sign of how behind the times they have been in the past, not a sign that they were focused on providing a good desktop experience. That page looks fine to me on a 2560x1440 screen - it's not designed for a phone, rather it's designed to be device agnostic, so it should look and behave consistent for both desktop and mobile. Full page layouts like this are the norm these days. I can guarantee you that Smugmug WILL optimize for mobile, because that's where the user base is these days, and Smugmug has consistently been attentive to changes in internet technologies over the years. Over half of all internet traffic globally originates from mobile devices. That doesn't mean neglecting desktop users at all - far from it, in fact (designing exclusively for mobile is not and will not ever be a good idea), but I do expect them to overhaul and optimize Flickr substantially, because it's in sad, sad shape right now. If they don't try to make it competitive in some way to Instagram, I would be surprised (though I hope they don't go full on social media and start injecting ads the way Instagram does, but that's probably inevitable since it's a free service). I see absolutely no downside to this acquisition. Yahoo mismanaged the hell out of Flickr and killed it as a good photo sharing platform. Verizon clearly didn't give two craps about it either, and I wouldn't trust them to do any better than Yahoo did anyway. Smugmug has always been a photography centric company, and that's all they do. This is the closest thing we'll get to Flickr being reverted to what it was before Yahoo bought them out. It'll take some time before the changes are rolled out, but it'll happen, and it'll ultimately be an improvement. And if it isn't, I have faith that they'll actually listen to their users and will work to ensure that changes do ultimately become improvements.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Apr 26, 2018 8:36 pm 
Anyone have any views on perserving data for the long haul? Seems like if your not pro-active eventually it's going to disappear.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Anyone have any views on perserving data for the long haul? Seems like if your not pro-active eventually it's going to disappear.
Same as I have always done, as I have watched many "permanent" storage sites come and go. Back up copies on a couple of hard drives. RAID drives and all that for the more technically proficient. I just use a couple of portable drives. Ideally one would be stored in a separate location. Lots of people would suggest The Cloud as a separate location. I have seen too many tech companies come and go to trust The Cloud myself, plus I am not convinced that security against hacking is a given. And how long before they start jacking up Cloud storage prices, holding your data hostage. But then I am an old Retro Grouch. Others will have other opinions.

friluftsliv
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 1:58 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
If your primary datastore is anywhere but on your own, personal, hands-on-it device(s), you're perpetually at risk and the risk is beyond your control. Sell your soul to the Cloud and the Cloud owns you. Your life's work is one hardware failure, malware incident, or change in ToS from a transporter accident.
  1. Store photos (multiple copies) on local hardware, preferably in multiple locations
  2. Find a tool that lets you build a web gallery or whatever; load it on your own computer for development
  3. Buy space on a hosting provider A and push your gallery there
  4. When A treats you badly, buy space on B and push your gallery there
  5. When B treats you badly, buy space on C and push your gallery there
  6. Lather, rinse, repeat
Note the repeating theme: Pay for a service. --Another Retro Grouch

trestle

trestle
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 6:39 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
trestle wrote:
Quote:
Nothing will change with accessing your account means that the process of logging in and accessing your photos will remain the same after the transition to SmugMug. But the terms of service will change under SmugMug on 25 May 2018. So if you don't want your photos hosted under the new ToS then you will need to delete your photos from the service prior to that date or they will automatically transfer to the new ToS.
Thanks Mike. Fortunately I was able to connect with a CS representative who was able to help explain the transition and new policies.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed May 02, 2018 9:25 pm 
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu May 03, 2018 7:25 am 
sooperfly wrote:
CEO of Smugmug interview regarding Flickr.
Good interview! It gives me hope that this is a good thing. I was noticing participation in Flickr seemed to be diminishing. I hope the new owner can bring it around.

friluftsliv
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 pm 
May 21 Ask Me Anything with Don MacAskill on Reddit. Lots of detailed responses to user's questions.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 12:49 pm 
My perspective so far.... Good news: I haven't seen any changes. Bad news: I haven't seen any changes. Participation and sharing on the site seems to have dropped to almost nothing compared to what it used to be. I hope they can bring it around.

friluftsliv
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 6:26 pm 
We won't see any significant changes any time soon, I would guess another year at the earliest. They might be able to decouple the Yahoo account login before then, but not likely there'll be any other major changes for a while. It needs a lot of work.