Forum Index > Trip Reports > .
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot

Sir-Hikes-A-Lot
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 12:55 pm 

It is by standing up for the rights of girls and women that we truly measure up as men. - Desmond Tutu
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 pm 
Those are some awesome trees! up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 8:15 pm 
up.gif that bear encounter must have woken you up nicely biggrin.gif

silence

silence
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 10:44 am 
Big Beaver is awesome ... a few years ago we went up to Tapato Lakes above Whatcom Pass via Little Beaver (by boat) and then back out over Beaver Pass and down Big Beaver ... we were so blown away by the old growth. Truly beautiful! Thanks for the memories. up.gif BTW ... we've had similar close encounters with bears over the years. But, unless they are totally surprised (cause they usually know you are there before you know they are there), while still a bit unnerving, never felt threatened. Though yikes, a sleeping bear is another matter.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 11:03 am 
Was that you at Pumpkin Mtn camp on Thursday night? If so, I was the guy that said hi before heading down to the boat camp. I likely followed you up the valley Friday morning and noticed the bear tracks and scat everywhere. I turned around at the steady snow about three miles in. Very beautiful forest and marshes. I staked out a beaver pond for a while, but didn't see one.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 12:53 pm 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 am 
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot wrote:
I found this poo about a mile upstream from 39 mile, right where it turned to complete snow cover (June 20th, 1996). Huge turds. I camped at 39 that night and was a bit nervous all night, just a weird vibe. And I'm a bear guy, as in I see them all the time all over the place, but that one made me nervous. The hair on the back of my neck was standing up all night. There was a trail crew working on the 39 mile creek bridge, they were camped on the east side of the creek, I was on the west side. The leader was telling me that they were in for the next week to repair the bridge and if I needed anything they were there. Well the next morning as I was headed back to the boat launch they were all packed up and running back to the boat launch. I asked why the change in plans? All I got was a snide brush-off. I figure that big bear went and raised hell with their camp. The trees up that valley are mind boggling...as was the skunk cabbage.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.