Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Roads and Trails of Olympic Natl. Park by Frederick Leissler
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jask

jask
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 6:02 am 
My first trail guide for the Olympics written by Frederick Leissler. I heard that the author simply disappeared at some point and did not collect any royalties from sales. After opening the book, the quotation by William O. Douglas is so well said and I've always thought those words to be true. Maybe a quick fix for the nation – get the young people up in the mountains?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 11:20 pm 
Leissler was a botanist and a ranger at Olympic NP. "Roads and Trails of Olympic NP" was published in a series of revised editions from 1957 to 1983. A complete set is in the archive room of the North Olympic Library in Port Angeles. Royalties from his book went to the nonprofit Olympic Natural History Association benefiting the park, now called Discover Your Northwest. He died in 1989. His 1948 Olympic NP map and guide are also available here.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
jask

jask
PostWed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 am 
Thanks RodF for the information about Frederick Leissler and interesting links you sent. I hadn't given much thought to who he was, and the information about him "disappearing" was something Bob Wood told me. I used to carry that book (it's thin & lightweight) in my backpack, and on one of our hikes together Bob saw it and told me that, possibly something he heard from his publishing contacts.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 12:33 pm 
jask wrote:
Maybe a quick fix for the nation – get the young people up in the mountains?
Couldn't hurt! Seriously, the wild places of this country are a great part of our heritage. As much as we are able, we should encourage and facilitate all people, but especially the young, to avail themselves of it. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."