Forum Index > Trail Talk > Survey on sexual harassment and assault in climbing (closes May 6)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
monorail

monorail
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 4:49 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
From my actual experience at work. In the early 1980s, I went with all guys on a fire crew to a different area. They got showers, I had to wash off in a sink the best I could. "Fire Camp" was in an armory. Went to SoCal for Thanksgiving fires. Shower time for women was either 12 noon or midnight. There were enough of us on crews to stage a protest and we got times that were feasible for us crew people. Late 80s shower protest again. There are two shower trucks in camp. There are the most women on fire crews that I've ever seen, maybe 50%. We get the three showers at the end of a truck. We have to wait in line for some time whilst the men hop in and out and are able to go take care of eating and other stuff. I go and threaten an EEO action. Times are then rotated so we get all of one truck, but later, while we are showering, an angry guy storms in and starts yelling at us. I'm protective of the progress that has been made. It has been a fight, and tiring. Some guys get it, some don't. Sometimes I would get in crew rigs when it was raining to talk over issues on timber sales with the loggers. I noticed that the naked women pictures that were taped up in their pickups disappeared. I hadn't said anything, the pictures just disappeared. I just wondered to myself what they were for? Amusement during the commute? lol.gif An affirmation of being manly men? Progress has been made, but there is obviously a lot of teaching to do and more change. I think I've done my part, but we can't lose it. Right now is a scary time.
Thanks for sharing this. It took a lot of courage, being on the front lines of wildfires and equality, and I'm quite certain your presence had a transformative effect on the thinking/worldview of those you worked with and encountered. You and I have often disagreed on stewardship issues, but I have great respect for you for this.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 5:07 pm 
Aww geez. Wastral adds so much value to this community!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 5:15 pm 
What are your value added contributions?

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 5:31 pm 
monorail wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
From my actual experience at work. In the early 1980s, I went with all guys on a fire crew to a different area. They got showers, I had to wash off in a sink the best I could. "Fire Camp" was in an armory. Went to SoCal for Thanksgiving fires. Shower time for women was either 12 noon or midnight. There were enough of us on crews to stage a protest and we got times that were feasible for us crew people. Late 80s shower protest again. There are two shower trucks in camp. There are the most women on fire crews that I've ever seen, maybe 50%. We get the three showers at the end of a truck. We have to wait in line for some time whilst the men hop in and out and are able to go take care of eating and other stuff. I go and threaten an EEO action. Times are then rotated so we get all of one truck, but later, while we are showering, an angry guy storms in and starts yelling at us. I'm protective of the progress that has been made. It has been a fight, and tiring. Some guys get it, some don't. Sometimes I would get in crew rigs when it was raining to talk over issues on timber sales with the loggers. I noticed that the naked women pictures that were taped up in their pickups disappeared. I hadn't said anything, the pictures just disappeared. I just wondered to myself what they were for? Amusement during the commute? lol.gif An affirmation of being manly men? Progress has been made, but there is obviously a lot of teaching to do and more change. I think I've done my part, but we can't lose it. Right now is a scary time.
Thanks for sharing this. It took a lot of courage, being on the front lines of wildfires and equality, and I'm quite certain your presence had a transformative effect on the thinking/worldview of those you worked with and encountered. You and I have often disagreed on stewardship issues, but I have great respect for you for this.
Yes, I agree. And I appreciate Treeswarper's previous report along with some other thoughtful posts by others (male and female). If it wasn't for those I wouldn't be able to participate. It makes such a difference to be related. Demeaning comments do a lot of damage.

When I grow up I wanna play.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 6:17 pm 
Awareness of said opinions would only be a gift if they were earth shattering and new, but they are not. Any woman who has worked in a male dominated industry or has been subjected to harassment in the climbing community already knows this. We do not need the aforementioned "gifts" to be aware of this. For those who actually do require this gift of awareness (which I can't imagine there are many): If you have just now become aware, what are you going to do about it when it's displayed in our forum? I said it earlier, but it seems that I need to repeat it: I don't believe in silencing opinions simply because I don't agree with them. I have long been a proponent of allowing the other side to have a voice (see my posts from earlier this year imploring women to not push away male allies). But I do believe in shutting down derogatory remarks that have zero place in today's world. Allowing them to be spoken without consequence sets a disturbing precedent.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 6:18 pm 
Tom wrote:
I guess I have no value. But Im not spewing hate speech. Imagine if someone seriously said "well you wanted to be free..." to black people. That would not fly. Thats what he said to women. He said you wanted to be liberated and now you get raped. Its not even really true, by the way. Its not an opinion but a fact.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Imagine if someone seriously said "well you wanted to be free..." to black people. That would not fly. Thats what he said to women. He said you wanted to be liberated and now you get raped.
Exactly. This should not be tolerated.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 7:02 pm 
Tom wrote:
Do her posts under (at least) 2 other user names count?
Pahoehoe wrote:
He said you wanted to be liberated and now you get raped.
He did not expressly say that, although I can see how one could interpret some of his posts to suggest that. I think (and hope) almost all of us deem his views to be misinformed, demeaning and hateful. The question is how to respond to people who make such claims: Censorship or counterargument. The unfortunate reality is that millions of Americans share his views. IMO, progress on women's rights is more likely advanced through thoughtful counterargument than through censorship.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 7:25 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
progress on women's rights is more likely advanced through thoughtful counterargument
And yet when women try to do this, their concerns are talked over, minimized, dismissed, or in Radka's case, silenced.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm 
Radka is welcome and encouraged to contribute to this thread

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Aww geez. Wastral adds so much value to this community!
Tom wrote:
I guess I have no value. But Im not spewing hate speech. Imagine if someone seriously said "well you wanted to be free..." to black people. That would not fly. Thats what he said to women. He said you wanted to be liberated and now you get raped. Its not even really true, by the way. Its not an opinion but a fact.
It seemed you were opining that Wastral didn't add value here. The first thing I do to objectively evaluate a member's contribution is review their posting history. Are they just here for the drama? Do they only participate in the stewardship forum or in contentious topics? Or do they make a an effort to participate in variety of other topics? Are they helpful? Do they post any trip reports? After reviewing Wastral's posting history I noticed he seemed to participate in a broad variety of topics. Quite a few of the posts I reviewed seemed helpful and value added. He didn't post any actual trip reports but the one trip report he posted (looking for help recovering gear) he offered to bake a pie for anyone willing to help. I'm not tyring to defend the guy's comments in this topic but he seemed like someone who has added value and may have just got sucked in to commenting in a contentious topic at the wrong time. To ban him just because people were calling for his head because of his comments here didn't seem warranted to me. i would strongly encourage you to review your posting history if you are unsure of the value you are adding here. You have about the same number of posts as Wastral. You participate almost exclusively in contentious topics. There is quite a bit of negativity in your posts. You many not call it spewing hate speech but I wouldn't call it constructive.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 pm 
So if you ate willing to bake pies in other threads hate speech can be over looked. Awesome!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 9:50 pm 
No, of course not. But good job drowning out any reasonable discussion that is occurring here if that's your goal.

Frango

Frango
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 10:54 pm 
OK...to try and bring this back around to some attempt at a reasonable discussion, fwiw, here are my thoughts. Gender equality is one of those visceral reaction topics - certainly on the list of “things not to be discussed at the family Thanksgiving dinner”. This really makes me sad - I am lucky that I had the example of a kickass mother, and 2 seriously kickass grandmothers before her to show me that it is totally possible to blaze my own trail without losing what it is that makes me a woman. I count among my closest friends, a group of men who are supportive, caring and would go to the wall for me in an instant - they all know it goes both ways. They are also a little clueless sometimes when it comes to stuff like this. I had a conversation recently with one of the guys who was honestly baffled at why I was so very angry over the recent SCOTUS hearings. He wasn’t being demeaning, he is the opposite of whatever Wastral is trying to portray himself as; it just is that without the experience of being a woman in this world, he doesn’t understand. However, after I stopped ranting and explained my POV to him, while he still doesn’t know what it’s like to be a woman in this world anymore than I know what it’s like to be a guy who has to navigate these waters, he did understand,and more importantly, he supported me. I think that’s what most reasonable women want: the men in their lives to acknowledge that it isn’t all wine and Helen Reddy songs (did I just date myself badly here?),and that it truly is a struggle for women still. While lip service is paid to equality between the sexes, it still is women who are ‘shrill bitches’ when men are ‘assertive’, who are ‘over emotional’ when men are ‘justifiably angry’ and who still have to take all the steps to keep themselves from being accosted by men when out on the trail (see how I brought this all back round to hiking?) And we want to be listened to, not just heard. We are not yammering, and we sure as hell aren’t just talking to hear our own voices. We have a point, a valid point and it should be acknowledged - not just noted, but acknowledged. And here I will note - feelings have as much value as facts. My experience is my experience. No one can invalidate or deny my experience, any more than I can deny or invalidate theirs. I don’t think we ever will convince the 10% of the population that is too entrenched in their sad chauvinistic ways that women are capable of independence, god forbid we even discuss free thought, but you know what? That’s OK. I’m willing to leave that group to their thoughts...and educate their children and grandchildren in the true realities of the world. Let’s face it - there are way more DIYs, Treeswarpers, Kims, Skis and yes probably even the Toms in the world than there’s are Wastrals...and thank every god I can think of, every day that I have the people I do have in my life.

Wastral

Wastral
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 4:31 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
But quite often, women need to shout in order to be heard over all of the men who are talking over them, lecturing them, dismissing their ideas, or or minimizing their concerns. Case in point: this very thread. I point out that a member is making comments that are offensive to women. In response, I am told that it's just an opinion, and opinions are allowed. (Isn't white supremacy just an opinion, too?) Frankly, I don't understand how Wastral's posts don't violate the posting terms: "Will it make people want to return to this site and be part of this community?" As long as Wastral's comments are allowed to stand, the answer to that is no.
By all means comment away. EDIT: Comment is to everyone not just 14 PS: Does anyone know what a bell curve is? Appears not.... And there is your problem(bolded above): Anyone disagreeing with you strongly is "offensive", talking over, lecturing, dismissing, or minimizing. If basic biological differences, preferences, attitudes as attained via every single science test done by "peoplekind"(thanks Trudeau for that amazingly stupid saying) do not line up on your side of the argument, sorry, then I guess that is being offensive in your world. Then sure, life becomes about shouting and being dismissive in your case. Real world problems requires real world angst as it requires both sides to think and to be wrong. Demanding empathy, sympathy, do not matter if you truly want to SOLVE a problem. They just get in the way and delay pursuit of truth. Though I would argue my wanting to dig to the bottom and SOLVE a problem is the most empathetic and sympathetic route. If you are just trying to feel good, and "WIN", then sure, the "OTHER" side is being offensive, lecturing, dismissing, minimizing...... PS: If he is a handsome man, then flirting is perfectly acceptable towards any woman, but if the man is below average(ugly), and hitting "above his paygrade," all of a sudden its sexual harassment, or in today's moron SJW indoctrinated society, sexual assault to show interest in a woman.... seen is so many times. All about pride(think you are better than you are), ego(think you deserve better), and lust(want what you want) and not about a relationship. PPS: Glad I've been ultra busy for 3 days. PPPS: If men waited for women to pursue them in marriage, the entire human race would be dead in 100 years as nothing would ever happen. IT does not excuse excessive aggression. And here the rubber meets the road. Excessive...

Slap Slap; 10 bugs dead, Blip Blop; Stumble Fall; Curse and Get up and Do it all Over Again; Reaching High For the Sky a Mile High; Topping Out Atop a Peak; Priceless