Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tarzan Butte - 4.26.2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 am 
A short distance beyond 29 Pines Campground we turned left onto Jungle Creek Road (aka FS-9701)... then drove .3 miles and parked (~2650') where it junctions with the gated Rye Creek Road. Hiking past the gate, we chose to take the right fork in the road and followed it uphill to ~3280 feet... where we headed cross-country in a westerly direction... reaching the scorched summit (4385') of Tarzan Butte after hiking ~2 miles... then continued down the west side of Tarzan on our way to Liars Prairie, crossing over Point 3910 along the way. Near the high point in Liars Prairie we connected with an abandoned road that took us down to the Jungle Creek Road which we followed ~4 miles back to our car. Our loop trip was 9 miles, gaining 2236 feet of elevation. The aftermath of last year's Jolly Mountain Fire was very evident... but it did provide fairly open views of several Teanaway area peaks and the Stuart Range. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our trip to Tarzan Butte. --------------------------------------------- After our hike we decided to explore some of the Teanaway roads: 1. North Fork Teanaway Road (aka FS-9737) The first 2 miles of the road is snow-free... after that, my Subaru Outback (8" of ground clearance) was able to make it through several snow patches before I chickened out after driving another .7 miles... for reference, Beverly Campground is at mile 4.25... I talked with a guy who had skied Earl Peak earlier in the day and he said that he was able to drive his SUV to within an eighth-of-a-mile of the Bean/Beverly trailhead... he also said that the skiing was great. 2. Stafford Creek Road (aka FS-9703) I was able to drive 2.2 miles before a snow patch stopped me... the Stafford Creek trailhead is another .4 miles further up the road. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 12:19 am 
Thanks for the Teanaway road report. That washout on the Jungle Creek road has been there for about 7 years already and looking pretty much the same.
Jungle Creek road washout and son Eli
Jungle Creek road washout and son Eli

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 12:35 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
ANY TICKS!!! 4,400' and absolutely no snow?
No ticks for us... however, friends did Iron Bear and Jester on Friday... and two of the three each brought a tick back to the Seattle Area with them. My guess is that we were probably lucky to not find any because we gave the ticks plenty of opportunities to latch on to us. No snow from the parking area to the Tarzan summit and on to Point 3910... but snow does linger west of Point 3910 to Liars Prairie... and patchy snow on the road from Liars Prairie to the Jungle Creek Road and patchy snow on the upper 3 miles of Jungle Creek Road.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------