Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Apr 30, 2018 3:41 pm 
50% off Snowline lights 40% off Snowline Pro

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri May 04, 2018 11:14 am 
Coldrain -- thanks for the tip! It sounds like Chainsen was the previous manufacturer for Kahtoola back when they were made in Korea (before switching to Thailand). Interesting that both the "Pro" and "Light" models sell for the same sale price of $29.73. It looks like the difference is the Pro model is heavier (12.5 vs 8.6 ounces), the rubber looks a little sturdier, and the spikes a bit bigger. I wear a size 10.5 shoe, which is the upper end of the Large size and the lower end of the Extra Large size. Do you think it's better to go with the lower size or upper? I noticed there's yet another nearly identical microspike called Uelfbaby ("You elf, baby"?) that actually doesn't look too bad (except for the fact that they're "one size fits all"), and have good reviews: here

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri May 04, 2018 11:40 am 
I just received my order. I too was not sure about sizing as I wear a 10 1/2 leather boot. So I bought both the L and XL, the XL seems to fit better - the heel spikes are more under the heel, with the L size the heel spikes were forward of the heel - and I had to bust a nut trying to get it on the boots. The medium fit my wife's 8.5 just right. Oh yeah, I bought the light version since I will only be using it for short crossings of summer snow (Cameron Pass, High Divide etc). Maybe I'll trade the L in for a set of the Pro XL's.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri May 04, 2018 3:42 pm 
Ok, I'll go with the XL -- especially since they are out of L sizes! (They're also out of anything other than gray colors) Thanks for the replies!

M'ree

M'ree
PostSat May 05, 2018 11:13 pm 
Coldrain: Thanks for the head's up! and also for the women's size insight. I ended up with purple, since black was sold out. But it's all good! After slipping and going verrry slow around Naches Peak late last fall over the icy parts on the shadowy East side, I promised myself I'd get some spikes. Navy salad: thanks to you, too for the company info. Happy Trails ~

babysteps,babysteps.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon May 07, 2018 4:41 pm 
Well, I got the Chainsen microspikes in the mail today. Comparing them side by side with my older Kahtoolas, the Chainsen's seem to have slightly sturdier rubber and very similar spikes that are the same size but with a couple extra spikes in the middle of the sole. Regarding the XL size, they're just a titch loose at the heel, both for my trail runners and my leather boots (that I seldom wear), but I'm confident they'll work. I like the case they come in. I've been carrying my Kahtoolas around in a Ziplock freezer bag and this is a big improvement over that.