Forum Index > Trail Talk > Middle fork trail maps?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu May 03, 2018 2:29 am 
Did some googling and not coming up with much in the way of maps showing the various trails accessed from the middle fork road. Specifically looking for maps showing the trails closer in, accessed from the paved road downstream from the Middle Fork trailhead. Any suggestions/info appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu May 03, 2018 3:09 am 
At Puzzlr's site you can click on the map: http://www.midforkrocks.com . A few areas have nice trail maps, but some are still work in progress.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostFri May 04, 2018 7:56 am 
Green Trails recently came out with one of their awesome extra large format maps which combine several normal GT maps. It's is called Middle Fork Snoqualmie # 174X.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri May 04, 2018 8:53 am 
Thanks mbravenboer & Snowdog, just what I was looking for!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun May 06, 2018 2:18 am 
If you can, wait a bit before buying the Green Trails Middle Fork map -- they are currently updating it with some corrections and additions for a second printing. But even the one available now is a fantastic map with no obvious errors other than having two Mt Roosevelts (one should be Caroline). The maps on my website are hard to produce because I don't know how to use GIS software. I do them in Photoshop and have to do things twice where there is overlap. With this new Middle Fork map I wonder if it's worth it. One thing the Green Trails Middle Fork map doesn't have is some of the unofficial boot trails that the land managers prefer not to be shown. I can see their point on that -- anyone who is really interested in climbing Treen or Big Snow, for example, will have no trouble finding out where the approach trails are. Putting steep intermittent trails on a widely used map can lead to unnecessary SAR incidents if less experienced hikers expect to find clear tread and signage. BTW, most of those unofficial trails are on Open Street Map and will show up in any app or website that uses that database -- e.g. Gaia or CalTopo