Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking with kids (ideas?)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lifeframedJW

lifeframedJW
PostFri May 04, 2018 9:47 am 
Long time listener, first time caller... I am planning to do some hiking/backpacking with a 1 or 2 of my kids this summer. I was hoping to do the Wonderland trail, but that permit didn't come in. I've done the wonderland before as has one of my kids. I have been looking around for other alternative trails. I've come up with Timberline Trail, PCT Section J, or maybe something in North Cascades. I'm not from the area (in Texas) so not as familiar with all the options other than searching online. I wanted to reach out to this great knowledge base of local hikers to see if anyone had any other ideas. Possibly trails without permit requirements or any other loop trails 30-50 miles for ease of transportation as out of town and to limit hassle. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 04, 2018 9:53 am 
Welcome to the site. You didn't mention how old your children are. You're looking for loop trails 30-50 miles in length? That last sentence is a bit confusing.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostFri May 04, 2018 10:27 am 
Also, when (if known)? Mid-July can be very different from mid-August at certain elevations.

lifeframedJW

lifeframedJW
PostFri May 04, 2018 11:15 am 
Thanks for replies... Kids are 10 (boy) and 8 (girl). The 10 year old did the wonderland when he was 8. I'm looking for any other options of loop or point to point trails. Examples are the Timberline Trail (40 mile loop) or PCT section J (70+ miles point to point) . The point to point has issues with transportation, but maybe there are some options with transportation available. The target dates would be late July - early August. I guess we have to be back when school starts. Again, thanks in advance for any ideas or help.

rossb

rossb
PostFri May 04, 2018 12:57 pm 
One worth considering: Start at Snow Lake Trailhead. Go past Snow Lake, and take the Rock Creek Trail (1013.1) down to the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie. Follow the Middle Fork trail (1030) upstream for many miles. Eventually you go over Dutch Miller Gap, and a few miles farther hook into the Pacific Crest Trail. From there, you just take the crest trail south, until you get to the Snoqualmie Pass trailhead. It is about a three mile road walk back to your car. Snow Lake and the PCT close to Snoqualmie Pass can be very crowded (especially Snow Lake). But the rest of it won't have that many people (kinda like the Wonderland, in that you can encounter plenty of people in some areas, and hardly anyone elsewhere). One really nice thing is that it should be easy to get information about the areas that could cause problems. If there is a lot of snow at Kendall Catwalk (on the PCT, close to Snoqualmie Pass) then you should find a different hike. It is pretty easy to find information about PCT conditions, as well as Snow Lake. The Middle Fork isn't likely to be the biggest problem area in terms of snow, but you will want to check general conditions with the appropriate ranger (to make sure there aren't a lot of blowdowns, etc.). In general I would say this is one of the smoother big loops you can do -- there are some ups and downs, but nothing like the Wonderland. Another advantage is the road is all paved (helpful if you are renting a car). It is a very nice mix of high alpine scenery and big valley walking.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri May 04, 2018 1:44 pm 
That's a bit early for the Timberline Trail. You could probably do it, but there will still be a lot of melting snow, especially on the north side. There are several strong glacial streams to cross, with no bridges, Especially that early, those fords will probably be too much for the young folks. Late August/early September would be better for the stream fords, but not if the youngsters have to be back in school. The Spider Meadow/Lyman Lake/Buck Creek Pass loop (with the mandatory side trip to Image Lake) would be good. Caution is needed descending the snow field from Spider Gap to Lyman Lakes, but if you wait for mid-afternoon temps for the snow to soften, it shouldn't be a problem--just make sure the kids don't try to slide out of control.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 04, 2018 4:42 pm 
Bogachiel

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
lifeframedJW

lifeframedJW
PostFri May 04, 2018 7:19 pm 
Thanks for the informative and quick replies. I'll be researching the areas mentioned.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 04, 2018 8:23 pm 
Chelan Sawtooths. Crater Lake TH > Eagle Lakes > Horse Head Pass > Boiling Lake > Angle's Staircase > Cooney Lake > Martin Lakes > back to Crater Lake TH. Base out of Winthrop.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat May 05, 2018 12:57 pm 
Yes, that's another good one! Re the Staircase--to quote a 6th century pope, "Not Angles but Angels!"

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun May 06, 2018 1:50 am 
The most successful overnighter we did with our 2nd grader was a large family reunion in Idaho Sawtooths using a horse packer to deliver our gear UP the mountain, then two wonderful nights noodling and good fishing, then a long walk back down to trailhead. Good food and weather, clear night skies, family/in-laws, tolerable bugs, latrine skills, Coleman stoves, etc. .. Summary: stay way within parent comfort/experience zone and good energy flow downhill to kids Tom