Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Has Windows XP resumed updates, or is this malware?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat May 05, 2018 7:30 am 
A couple of days ago, I shut off my computer. Before it shut down, an update box came up, like I used to see years ago: "Installing Update 1 ... do not turn off your computer, it will turn off automatically." (A word or two may be off.) It installed Update 1, then moved on to Update 2, which was taking a long time. Then it occurred to me that something wasn't right, because Microsoft no longer updates XP. Anyone have a clue what this is?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 05, 2018 8:41 am 
Microsoft is still releasing security patches for windows XP Example: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55245

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat May 05, 2018 6:50 pm 
I clicked on the Microsoft link that Randy provided, and the patch was installed in a couple of seconds. So the "installing updates" that I saw was not from Microsoft. I ran a Malwarbytes scan this morning and it removed two items. Since then the mysterious update feature has not appeared when I go to shut down. So Malwarebytes must have got it, whatever it was.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun May 20, 2018 11:51 am 
Quote:
I wonder why are you still using windows XP is quite out dated now. I suggest you to go with windows 10.
As 20 year MSFT alumni -- I wouldn't recommend that. Hardware of Windows XP vintage will likely struggle to run Win10 effectively. If his PC is still doing what he needs it to do -- don't mess with it. Just make sure you have your important data/documents/photos/etc backed up so that when the hardware fails you may setup a new PC without losing too much. If the WinXP PC is no longer doing what he needs to do -- buy a new PC -- running Win10

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 7:42 am 
That is very good advice, I've been burned by this. If your machine is doing what you need don't upgrade just to upgrade, you may find you've downgraded!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 8:41 am 
Yeah, XP era hardware is likely to choke on Win 10. But honestly I can't recommend staying connected to the internet on an XP box. Hate to say it but it may be time to consider computer shopping. If it were *me*, I'd nuke it down and attempt putting Lubuntu on there, but of course that opens a whole 'nother can of worms. I have considerably extended the useful life of a number of laptops around the office by going this route.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 11:09 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
Yeah, XP era hardware is likely to choke on Win 10. But honestly I can't recommend staying connected to the internet on an XP box. Hate to say it but it may be time to consider computer shopping. If it were *me*, I'd nuke it down and attempt putting Lubuntu on there, but of course that opens a whole 'nother can of worms. I have considerably extended the useful life of a number of laptops around the office by going this route.
Running a linux distro is a rite of passage for hard core computer nerds -- but anyone in that category would not have posted the OP's question. Linux isn't silver bullet against malware anyway https://www.linux.com/learn/myth-busting-linux-immune-viruses