Forum Index > Trip Reports > Old Baldy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen Daubert
scrambler karen

Karen Daubert
scrambler karen
PostSat May 05, 2018 10:31 am 
Despite the fact that Old Baldy is outside the park boundaries, it is one of the MRNP top 100s. Although not all that high it is known as one of the more unpleasant of the 100. I am glad I did this peak in May as I was on snow for almost half of the trip. I left the 4WD road at the switchback and stuck to the ridgeline as closely as possible - staying left when in doubt. At around 4800 I dropped slightly into the basin, put on snowshoes and then headed to the col just east of the summit. The snow was very mushy (not a technical term). The ridge to the summit (and the summit) was corniced and breaking (to the north) but fine as long as I stayed south. On my return, I glissaded straight down to the basin versus taking the ridge (a better choice). Car to car was 6 hours (8 to 2) including 30 minutes for lunch. Had I started earlier, the snow would have been harder/better.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSat May 05, 2018 12:56 pm 
how was the road? Usually its hideous. Thats a cool hike. I'm going to try that again from your route.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat May 05, 2018 2:32 pm 
Congrats on making it. Is there such a thing as an "unpleasant" peak? I never heard of this one so here's a map for those like me.
Open this map full screen.

BarbE

BarbE
PostSun May 06, 2018 6:07 pm 
Karen, I’m glad you conquered Old Baldy! Surely, the last few left on your Rainier 100 list are all going to be nothing but pleasant! 😅

Karen Daubert
scrambler karen

Karen Daubert
scrambler karen
PostMon May 14, 2018 4:45 pm 
I stand corrected: of course there is no such thing in our lush Pacific NW where brambles surround so many of our loverly peaks! Thanks all for the maps - I am still learning how to upload photos and routes - but at least I got the report in:)

Karen Daubert
scrambler karen

Karen Daubert
scrambler karen
PostMon May 14, 2018 4:47 pm 
Road was potholey but my Subaru did fine. I parked on the main road at the fork which is a little sketchy but the adjacent "car campers" kept an eye out on it for me:)

Karen Daubert
scrambler karen

Karen Daubert
scrambler karen
PostMon May 14, 2018 4:48 pm 
Road was potholey but my Subaru did fine. I parked on the main road at the fork which is a little sketchy but the adjacent "car campers" kept an eye out on it for me:)

Brian R

Brian R
PostMon May 21, 2018 8:59 pm 
I repeated this with a couple of friends on Saturday--May 19th. We climbed onto the wooded ridge at 4100' by walking the jeep road to the beaver pond just above the last switchback. A faint trail in the woods here and there from the Mountaineers "Irish Cabin Peaks" days of old. Some occasional crumbly flagging too. No snow until about 400' below the saddle. Melting fast. Arrived on top in fog and mist with occasional clearing. Rained hard on the way down. The trip: Old Baldy