Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Erie climbing question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon May 07, 2018 5:23 pm 
Okay, the title is sort of false advertising. I'm actually specifically interested in cliff faces near the summit of Erie (no more than 10 minute approach to top of cliff from parking area) that DON'T have climbing routes, or at least more spaced out/fewer/less popular routes. I've tried looking at various guides online but could use some input from those more familiar with the climbs there.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostTue May 08, 2018 4:19 pm 
What’s the question?

gray matter

gray matter
PostTue May 08, 2018 9:17 pm 
Yana, are you looking to climb? Sunset wall has a little bit of an approach, as it is lower on the mountain, but may not have as many people as summit wall on a nice day. We’ve only climbed at summit wall and sunset wall so far. There’s another wall off of trail 247 that has some nice routes. Hike up trail 248 from the road and turn left on 247. Look for primitive signs of life. Can’t miss it. If you are interested in specific beta, I’d be glad to go up and scout around if you are not close. I live and work in Anacortes. Cheers, gray matter

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed May 09, 2018 11:32 am 
Thanks for the tips so far! gray matter - I'm looking to use a section of the cliff for other activities that are not climbing. Since this will be on a Saturday - a busy time - I'm hoping to avoid actual climbing routes. Due to logistical complications, it has to be an easy (non-exposed) and short approach from the top parking lot.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostWed May 09, 2018 12:45 pm 
CURIOUSITY INTENSIFIES

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostWed May 09, 2018 1:30 pm 
Yana wrote:
Thanks for the tips so far! gray matter - I'm looking to use a section of the cliff for other activities that are not climbing. Since this will be on a Saturday - a busy time - I'm hoping to avoid actual climbing routes. Due to logistical complications, it has to be an easy (non-exposed) and short approach from the top parking lot.
If you mean this Saturday, I believe that the Seattle Mountaineers scrambling course is having its "rock" practice days out at Erie this weekend, so both Saturday and Sunday there will be dozens of mounties in helmets and gaiters all over the easy rock at the top that it sounds like you're interested in.

gray matter

gray matter
PostWed May 09, 2018 1:52 pm 
Okay, Yana. How big of a cliff do you need? Does it need to have climbing routes on it? There are some minor cliff bands off of trail # 216 just off of the summit that don't have any climbing routes, so no people. There's also a lookout on the east side of the parking lot that has some cliffs below it, and I am sure that there are some climbers' trails in the area. I'm really curious! If I didn't have a real life climbing trip planned for this weekend, I'd lurk up at the summit to see what is going to happen! Inquiring minds and all that. Good luck, gray matter

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed May 09, 2018 2:13 pm 
Climbing routes not required, in fact, not desired as we're trying to not get in people's way. At least 50 ft high, 70ish would be better (could be more, too). Just doing some rope rescue training. We go to Erie every year for training, but this year I'm trying to expand us to new terrain since the area we typically use is fairly small.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed May 09, 2018 2:25 pm 
Too much snow right now, but Cumberland Crag up USFS 17 would be a fine choice

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed May 09, 2018 2:44 pm 
That's a bit out of our area, Ringandclaw. So is Erie, really, but it has some good terrain we like to use one day out of the year. Most of the time, we're on the cliffs above the Granite Falls fish ladder. We used to have some nice training sites off USFS 62 (road to Persis TH), but the logging + fire made it a bit more post apocalyptic than we'd like for a rope rescue class. I've been eyeing some cliffs south of HWY 2 near Monroe off Ben Howard Rd, but haven't gotten too deeply into the research phase. gray matter - here's a pic from our training at Erie from a number of years ago:

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed May 09, 2018 2:53 pm 
007 wrote:
If you mean this Saturday, I believe that the Seattle Mountaineers scrambling course is having its "rock" practice days out at Erie this weekend, so both Saturday and Sunday there will be dozens of mounties in helmets and gaiters all over the easy rock at the top that it sounds like you're interested in.
GAAAAAAH. Thank you. Last year, we had a giant horde of small children (a couple of different outings), but they were top roping... We've never overlapped with the Mounties before, who may use some of the same spots as we are. Oy.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed May 09, 2018 2:54 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
CURIOUSITY INTENSIFIES
lol.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed May 09, 2018 2:58 pm 
Maybe not helpful, but does your local Fire Department have a tower they will let you use? They won't be 70' high...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed May 09, 2018 3:19 pm 
Thanks, Schenk - we actually have our own tower, but for this training we need cliffs.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 09, 2018 4:11 pm 
I was up at Erie a couple of weekends ago and cars were parked on both sides of the road for half a mile and double-parked in the upper lot. It was a challenge to turn around. No love for the town wall any more?