Forum Index > Gear Talk > ZPacks new solo single pole tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri May 11, 2018 11:08 pm 
Write up with photos on williswall.com. This tent will become available soon (within weeks?); I have prototype tent #2 for testing and evaluation. Joe says tent #1 came in at 14.5 ounces, mine should be the same. Being familiar with ZPacks products (I have one of the original Duplexs) my initial impressions of my "ZPlex" is quite favorable. Yes, I'm calling it the "ZPlex" as there is no official name yet.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat May 12, 2018 4:51 am 
I love my one pole Altaplex my daughter used the Soplex last year on her PCT thruhike will be interesting to see.

Living in the Anthropocene
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat May 12, 2018 4:53 am 
I saw your pics the tent shown is the Altaplex I think.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat May 12, 2018 9:53 am 
wildernessed wrote:
I saw your pics the tent shown is the Altaplex I think.
Well, did you read the write up? Not an Altaplex....

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat May 12, 2018 6:09 pm 
Dimensions ? Looks like a smaller version of the Altaplex with some modifications the design of those shelters makes them stable, well ventilated, roomy, and UL. 👍🏻

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat May 12, 2018 10:39 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Does it have atrocious sewing like most zpacks tents?
That's a little harsh, but I can't say it's the prettiest.....as long as it stays together and is functional I'm OK with it.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun May 13, 2018 6:26 pm 
I've seen only a couple Zpack tents and, indeed, the seams were wavy and had some puckering. Wavy seams and puckers result in stress concentrations in multiple spots, not a good thing because, unless the seam is across the bias, the warp or weft (depending on the orientation of the pattern) will distort, resulting in thin weak spots. It's really important with CF because there's no give. I don't get it. It's not the difficult to sew and tape straight seams. FWIW, I have seen far worse seams on a couple other cottage industry brands. One of them had the worst patternmaking on any outdoor gear I've ever seen: lopsided and sagging. A bud and I ripped apart a backpack with our hands. Awful. I will not mention the brand to avoid hurting feelings. Among the best seam quality control cottage brands: McHale, MLD, Tarptent and Stephenson. All have very straight and even seams, and proper stitch length, tension and thread spec. (It's dismaying when the wrong thread is used to sew good fabric.) McHale seams and overall construction are the best I've ever seen. Our MLD CF Duomid XL has very even tension across all the pattern panels, which is very impressive. Henry Shires is nothing less than a genius patternmaker.

schifferj

schifferj
PostMon May 14, 2018 12:03 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
FWIW, I have seen far worse seams on a couple other cottage industry brands. One of them had the worst patternmaking on any outdoor gear I've ever seen: lopsided and sagging. A bud and I ripped apart a backpack with our hands. Awful. I will not mention the brand to avoid hurting feelings.
Oh come on Steve; put it out there. I promise my feelings won't be hurt. If I own any of that "junk" I'll throw it away and get something new. That is, afterall, what keeps this great economy of ours running on all eight cylanders. smile.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 21, 2018 5:48 am 
Coming up on a year of using my Altaplex no issues and great design, my daughter used the Solplex for 5 months every night (more bag nights than most people have in a lifetime)and it is fine she will use it this year, the Duplex is a staple for the UL crowd also all the Zpacks tents have been tested and extensively vetted by way too many people I imagine this new offering will stand out as well.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 5:59 am 
Just saw Zpacks is selling the new tent as the Plexamid looks like a revision of the Altaplex with the same floor dimensions and less weight. I don’t see the Altaplex offered on the site now. Nice write up on your blog also !