Forum Index > Trail Talk > Social media is changing our relationship to risk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Waterman

Waterman
PostMon May 14, 2018 9:51 pm 
http://hcn.org death in the alpine Interesting article sure to be provocative.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue May 15, 2018 7:15 am 
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue May 15, 2018 7:38 am 
Good read. This social media thing ain't goin' away folks. Is there a Washington version of Capitol Peak? aka dangerous peak (or any location really) that is make popular via social media leading to unprepared people venturing out and not taking the risks seriously enough, leading to bad outcomes? Palouse Falls maybe... Not quite Capitol Peak, but there seems to be an uptick of injury and death there lately.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue May 15, 2018 8:24 am 
I don't think this is a new phenomenon. Unprepared (and sometimes simply unlucky) people have been getting themselves injured, lost, and killed in the wilderness for a long time. The difference with social media is that it does increase the numbers of people going certain places because the information is more readily available. However, I don't agree with how the article attempts to attribute the decisions those people made to social media. Maybe people decide to go to a certain place in the first place because they saw it on Instagram, but once there - routefinding errors, trying ill advised shortcuts, and loose rock have long been common causes of accidents, and they're certainly not limited to the inexperienced. The article almost makes it seem like simply being convinced to go somewhere because they see lots of others doing it is the cause of these increased deaths, whereas the truth is social media simply adds more people to the equation (thus magnifying an already existing problem).

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 15, 2018 9:15 am 
^ that looks about the same as it did when I was up there 24 years ago.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue May 15, 2018 9:30 am 
Yana wrote:
However, I don't agree with how the article attempts to attribute the decisions those people made to social media. Maybe people decide to go to a certain place in the first place because they saw it on Instagram, but once there - routefinding errors, trying ill advised shortcuts, and loose rock have long been common causes of accidents, and they're certainly not limited to the inexperienced. The article almost makes it seem like simply being convinced to go somewhere because they see lots of others doing it is the cause of these increased deaths, whereas the truth is social media simply adds more people to the equation (thus magnifying an already existing problem).
Yes and No It is not a well understood phenomenon, but social scientists have understood for a long time that repeated exposure to various media affects our attitude, perception, and way of thinking. This especially is pertinent to our comfort level for risk. Most people want to believe that they are immune to such effects, but they are ignoring the facts when they do so. In the context of this story, the assesment of risk, the raising of their level of risk tolerance, and their assesment of their own skill levels can be affected by the type and amount of exposure on social media. To be sure, the change can go both ways, sometimes making people more fearful and lowering their tolerance for risk. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
markweth

markweth
PostTue May 15, 2018 10:49 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Yana wrote:
However, I don't agree with how the article attempts to attribute the decisions those people made to social media. Maybe people decide to go to a certain place in the first place because they saw it on Instagram, but once there - routefinding errors, trying ill advised shortcuts, and loose rock have long been common causes of accidents, and they're certainly not limited to the inexperienced. The article almost makes it seem like simply being convinced to go somewhere because they see lots of others doing it is the cause of these increased deaths, whereas the truth is social media simply adds more people to the equation (thus magnifying an already existing problem).
Yes and No It is not a well understood phenomenon, but social scientists have understood for a long time that repeated exposure to various media affects our attitude, perception, and way of thinking. This especially is pertinent to our comfort level for risk. Most people want to believe that they are immune to such effects, but they are ignoring the facts when they do so. In the context of this story, the assesment of risk, the raising of their level of risk tolerance, and their assesment of their own skill levels can be affected by the type and amount of exposure on social media. To be sure, the change can go both ways, sometimes making people more fearful and lowering their tolerance for risk. Rumi
I am in complete agreeance with your take on this, Rumi. Well said. The only thing I think that is also important to note is that not only does social media provide the inspiration to undertake outdoor adventures for an increasing number of people, but it also adds a reward and motivation to continue. "Summit fever" has always been around, but "summit selfie fever" and the motivation to document the accomplishment likely plays into some of the decisions to continue rather than turn back when their comfort and/or ability aren't compatible with the route. The desire to get the "perfect shot" and the resultant dopamine rush from all the "likes" once it is posted are stronger than I think a lot of us recognize, especially among hikers whose entire outdoor experience has been filtered through a social media lens.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 15, 2018 12:16 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
"...but social scientists have understood for a long time that repeated exposure to various media affects our attitude, perception, and way of thinking..."
^ yeah... Marshall McLuhan 1967 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwyDePyHbx1RMzdjMGUxZjctZTI2MC00NTNiLTg1YWYtY2U2YzNjZjBkODJl/edit?hl=en_US but Yana's point is no less valid. the "social media" thing has just taken it all to a whole new level of stupid and crazy.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue May 15, 2018 12:47 pm 
This may be too general, but today I think we have more people than ever that are ignorant, but are convinced they are knowledgeable. Or at least, convinced that they don't need expertise, or to listen to experts. Like in the article, "if someone from Kansas can do it, I can do it". Apparently not thinking that maybe the guy from Kansas was an experienced alpinist. There is a de-valuing of knowledge and expertise in general today. The internet contributes to it. You can find your own facts, and people who agree with you. And get your own info on how to climb a mountain, you don't need any special expertise experience or skill. You've been on a few hikes, you can climb that mountain just like those other people did.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 15, 2018 1:09 pm 
The most disturbing thing in the article is the last sentence. To me, that is the crux, and what we must not become.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue May 15, 2018 1:31 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
To me, that is the crux, and what we must not become.
That's my point - that is not a new sentiment. "Conquering" (adjective for crushing) mountains (or whatever) predates social media by a long time, and certainly a reputation for danger has inspired more visitation in lots of instances before the impact of social media. The idea that you can conquer an inanimate object is just as silly now as it was earlier, but no more or less alluring. I'd be interested to see how the increase in accidents correlates to the number of visitors - if the percentage of users getting into trouble has increased significantly, then I'd take this more seriously as a new type of problem. Until then, it's all speculation not based on evidence.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 15, 2018 1:45 pm 
Yana wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
To me, that is the crux, and what we must not become.
That's my point - that is not a new sentiment.
No; but it's out there more, reaches more people, creating more peer pressure. To "crush" a mountain is one thing, but it goes much further: "A few weeks after the accident, Doro was scrolling through Facebook and came across a post about Capitol Peak that tagged a news article about Lord’s accident. “Hardest peak ever,” the post read. “So many people have died, but I crushed this mountain.” Each life lost on that mountain is merely an ego stroke to this person. And to many others, as well.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue May 15, 2018 3:12 pm 
I hope the SAR teams are doing ok. Dealing with that many fatalities so close together would be rough.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue May 15, 2018 4:57 pm 
3 people who died on that mountain died while trying to descend the North Face, because they "heard" there was a route down that way. Imagine climbing a peak with a scary knife edge on the main (easiest) route, and concluding that you are going to descend an alternate route via the North face, which most of us know is usually the gnarliest face (for peaks in the Northern Hemisphere). Those 3 got some wrong info from somewhere, and apparently did not seek out accurate info. Is that because social media showed them other people climbing the peak, and they concluded they didn't need to do any research? I wonder. The Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office released a statement clarifying that there is no alternate hiking route down the north face of Capitol Peak. “If there was a safe shortcut, it would be the standard route,” it said.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed May 16, 2018 12:36 am 
From the article: "That can affect people’s assessments of how dangerous things are: What once seemed extreme becomes normal if you look at enough Instagram photos showing other people doing it. Jerry Isaak, a professor at the State University of New York, Plattsburgh, first began studying how the prevalence of social media affects decision-making in remote, high-risk environments a few years ago." This is what I was referencing in my earlier post. Repeated viewing of similar things affects how we judge things as far as relative danger, ease of accomplishing, etc. Seeing so many videos and photos of people doing things makes them appear to be less dangerous and easier to do. It works the same way with the things we fear. Watching news over and over about home invasion, carjacking, etc. has many people deathly afraid of visiting large cities. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."