Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm 
wanderwild wrote:
Couldn't find it! Next time closer to Seattle with lake!
I-5 North to Everett University Ave exit Drive 3 blocks, park on the right

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm 
A walk in the woods hopefully impacts the consciousness of younger hikers in a positive way as I suspect all of us know it does for us. Green Bonding may be different in some ways for many of the new hikers (and likely matures as more nature travels are taken) but I have to believe the experience is much more healing, peaceful, restorative and hopefully enlightening than the alternative past times of so many. And if I am right and the spiritual power of the natural world does make a impression, we all benefit as a society and the same Green Bonding leads to wilderness preservation and advocacy. Studies all have their biases, lets not forget. I find it very hard to swallow that more hikers doesn`t ultimately promote more funding and better stewardship of wilderness resources from a pure common sense perspective.

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostWed May 16, 2018 3:30 pm 
Ski wrote:
Wow, what a douche.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 16, 2018 8:41 pm 
Guy like Ben Stiller in a bad movie. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Damian

Damian
PostWed May 16, 2018 8:49 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
I view the newer masses of selfie hikers as "consuming" hikes, just like they "consume" other forms of entertainment.
What is a selfie hiker and how do they differ from the rest of us? And how is their consumption of entertainment different than the way we appreciate a hike? For many years this site has discussed many forms of recreational "consumption" from peaceful contemplation to significant personal challenges and goals. Each year there is a long thread where folks post their stats. Some people nail a few peaks, others speak of walks in the park. The diversity is all good to me. And I'll hang with the selfies any day vs an aging demographic fixated on criticizing the youth wink.gif .

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm 
Dog poop bags and pistachio shells are everywhere! Draw your conclusions from that. They didn’t exist a decade ago! Evidence based comment.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm 
Damian wrote:
And how is their consumption of entertainment different than the way we appreciate a hike?
It's different in that they aren't appreciating the hike at all, they are appreciating the attention that proving they consumed the hike grants them. While I view that particular thread of attention seeking as the domain of the social mediaite - it's not far off from people who (and they might not be on this forum, but they are out there) will only take a hike or participate in an outdoor activity if they in some way have been able to purchase the experience. Those who only go out with organized groups, or balk at off trail travel, or look down their nose at what some people call dumpster dive hikes. The folks who travel incessantly to far flung locales but couldn't tell you their favorite local mountain or lake. Nature is not a spiritual experience for these people, nor does it turn their self reflection on automatically. For better or worse, a lot of us enthusiasts don't view the wilderness as a church or a temple or some sort of ridiculous holy experience. It's just part of my backyard and I enjoy living my life there, much as I do at home. The thing is, for me, that inspires to me to take care of, protect, and steward the wild places we share. For some others this inclusion of the wild as a part of life, rather than a place to escape to, seems to have bred the same contempt of space that they exhibit at home. Trash everywhere, everything is someone else's problem, and there is no sense of attachment to place. Only the same self centered consumptive actions that you would expect. Because it turns out you can't take jerks and plop them in the woods and expect some magical disney-like transformation to occur. They just turn on their music on their phones and continue about their lives but in a setting with trees.

Damian

Damian
PostThu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm 
Oh come now. They don't appreciate the hike. They hike for attention only. And this is all new. People have told you this about themselves? I think the consumption theory is a bit old fartish if you will wink.gif. I encounter thousands of hikers each year in some of the busiest trails in the NW. How is it I have never met anyone like that. I get frustrated with careless hikers and speak with them periodically. This is usually all it takes. That's the way people dealt effectively with me when I was younger. (now they use a baseball bat).

markweth

markweth
PostThu May 17, 2018 1:16 pm 
Damian wrote:
AlpineRose wrote:
I view the newer masses of selfie hikers as "consuming" hikes, just like they "consume" other forms of entertainment.
What is a selfie hiker and how do they differ from the rest of us? And how is their consumption of entertainment different than the way we appreciate a hike? For many years this site has discussed many forms of recreational "consumption" from peaceful contemplation to significant personal challenges and goals. Each year there is a long thread where folks post their stats. Some people nail a few peaks, others speak of walks in the park. The diversity is all good to me. And I'll hang with the selfies any day vs an aging demographic fixated on criticizing the youth wink.gif .
Others have already chimed in with similar thoughts to mine, but I guess I would say that a "selife hiker" is someone who derives the majority of their motivation for going on a hike from documenting and sharing the experience rather than simply experiencing the trail as an end in itself. In other words, they likely would not be hiking if -- hypothetically -- they were not allowed to take their phone/camera along. Like, they would bail on a hike if they realized their phone was dead at the trailhead and there was no way to charge it. Silly examples, but I think you get the drift. Nothing wrong per se with "selfie hikers", but I think realizing the impact that ties back to that user group and culture -- the same as the impact associated with the Bud Light-chugging and trailhead sign-shooting user group -- exists and is not solely the older generation of hikers wishing the kids would get off their lawn : )

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu May 17, 2018 1:34 pm 
Damian wrote:
How is it I have never met anyone like that.
They're the ones driving around with their Discover Passes still hanging from their rear-views when they drive back into the city. Same people that leave the lift tickets on their ski jackets. And there is no age based judgement happening here, Damian, the majority of them that I meet are seemingly wealthy types that span a wide range of demographics, not the "millenials" everyone seems to think we're talking about. Money, power, self interest, and the pursuits thereof are the issues at hand, not generational differences.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm 
Damian wrote:
What is a selfie hiker
Look, here's the deal: A "selfie hiker" isn't a hiker at all, it is simply someone on a trail who works for amazon.

Damian

Damian
PostThu May 17, 2018 2:35 pm 
Sheesh. Old farts every one of you. Guess I’ll just go hiking. Now where did I put my selfie stick...

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm 
OK. Time to thank the "old farts" who had the foresight, perseverance and passion to save a few precious pieces of the outdoors for you to play in. If not for them, all of Cougar, Squak and Tiger would look like Somerset, all of the Olympic Peninsula would look like the desolation surrounding Forks, and every bit of open space would fall to, or be under threat of falling to, the monstrous cancer now being built south of I-90 between exits 13 and 15 in Issaquah's nearly last remaining open space. Cluelessness is not a virtue.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu May 17, 2018 3:02 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
OK. Time to thank the "old farts" who had the foresight, perseverance and passion to save a few precious pieces of the outdoors for you to play in. If not for them, all of Cougar, Squak and Tiger would look like Somerset, all of the Olympic Peninsula would look like the desolation surrounding Forks, and every bit of open space would fall to, or be under threat of falling to, the monstrous cancer now being built south of I-90 between exits 13 and 15 in Issaquah's nearly last remaining open space. Cluelessness is not a virtue.
Who said anything about playing? I take my elevation stats VERY seriously when I'm out there sweating in my sunglasses and bandana.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 17, 2018 3:07 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
It's different in that they aren't appreciating the hike at all, they are appreciating the attention that proving they consumed the hike grants them.
cambajamba wrote:
They're the ones driving around with their Discover Passes still hanging from their rear-views when they drive back into the city. Same people that leave the lift tickets on their ski jackets. And there is no age based judgement happening here, Damian, the majority of them that I meet are seemingly wealthy types that span a wide range of demographics, not the "millenials" everyone seems to think we're talking about.
AlpineRose wrote:
OK. Time to thank the "old farts" who had the foresight, perseverance and passion to save a few precious pieces of the outdoors for you to play in.
Non-selfie hikers are incredibly judgemental people. They only hike because it makes them feel superior to people with cameras. They're the ones with signs that say "GET OFF MY LAWN." I can't even type that with a straight face. I hope you guys couldn't, either. wink.gif We need less dividing the world into us and them.