Forum Index > Trail Talk > "Your Stoke Won't Save Us"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu May 17, 2018 3:59 pm 
I think it's pretty obvious when you come across this breed of selfie hiker on the trail, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize how much more intelligent you are than them!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm 
Wow; lots of judgementalism out there particularly directed at selfie hikers and those of us who dare to have a "ridiculous holy experience in nature" (whatever the hell that is anyway??). After 4 decades of backpacking and hiking, mostly in Washington, I have learned to breathe, perceive, turn my brain off the best I can, relax and exercise; sounds like a pretty human experience to me?? Maybe one that might be beneficial to everyone, right? Cyclopath said it correctly; we need to figure out ways to come together as an outdoor community. Division and exclusion, helped along by a good dose of judgement, is not gonna help us rally politically together in the world of wilderness stewardship and preservation. To that end, we all have our own unique ways of experiencing our lives and our wilderness. I would appreciate very much not being judged on how I do that, and I am sure the so called "selfie hikers" (who I have a hard time believing that the only thing they get out of a hike, is a smile and an inflated ego at their great post) would agree.

Pef

Pef
PostThu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm 
eek.gif
Damian wrote:
Sheesh. Old farts every one of you. Guess I’ll just go hiking. Now where did I put my selfie stick...
I bet I know where certain folk on this thread would like to put your selfie stick.... eek.gif eek.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu May 17, 2018 4:55 pm 
Damian wrote:
AlpineRose wrote:
I view the newer masses of selfie hikers as "consuming" hikes, just like they "consume" other forms of entertainment.
What is a selfie hiker and how do they differ from the rest of us? And how is their consumption of entertainment different than the way we appreciate a hike? ....Each year there is a long thread where folks post their stats. .
The Mountaineers (7 Summits pin, or whatever it was called), the Bulger list, fire lookouts, lake, the 100 list, etc. etc. Yes, we all do it. For instance, I have seen Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, 9 times, and am looking forward to seeing it as many other times I can. Points for plays about people pies, that's me.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu May 17, 2018 9:51 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
OK. Time to thank the "old farts" who had the foresight, perseverance and passion to save a few precious pieces of the outdoors for you to play in. If not for them, all of Cougar, Squak and Tiger would look like Somerset, all of the Olympic Peninsula would look like the desolation surrounding Forks, and every bit of open space would fall to, or be under threat of falling to, the monstrous cancer now being built south of I-90 between exits 13 and 15 in Issaquah's nearly last remaining open space. Cluelessness is not a virtue.
Ok so are you Woodrow Wilson or Theodore Roosevelt? I'm not saying this is the case with you Alpinerose because I don't know you or your history. But generally individuals in past generations love to take credit for accomplishing something or maintaining something when the majority of these people did nothing but merely exist. And yes this is an incredibly judgemental site unfortunately, I personally hope more of these "Amazon Workers, selfie hikers (insert other insult as you wish here)" get out and enjoy our forests and wilderness cause they are awesome and there is plenty of room to share.. For the record I used to dislike these individuals to until I realized that there internet pressence has the potential and power to make way more of a positive impact than I can on my own and had a change of heart.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
contour5

contour5
PostThu May 17, 2018 11:23 pm 
Quote:
the majority of these people did nothing but merely exist
This is actually a desirable achievement, in various ancient schools of thought.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 27, 2022 12:49 pm 
when "merely existing" isn't generating enough "likes" on your YouTube channel: I'm not going to link to the video, because every "view" on his YouTube channel is another dollar for his lawyers: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/apr/26/youtuber-deliberately-crashed-plane-for-views-faa

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."