Forum Index > Trail Talk > "Talking Trail" Phone App
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue May 15, 2018 5:58 pm 
Thought I'd try out the beta release of "Talking Trail" Super simple Pick a hiking destination. There are a few basic commands that talk to you ( nice change from the standard woman's Siri type voice to a manly man voice ) "Go" "Straight" "Veer Left" "Veer Right" "Hard Right" "Hard Left" "Switchback Right" "Switchback Left" I tried listening to the commands just through the cell phone speaker, but ear buds were better. The app has a built in step counter and you'll hear a command every 10 steps. Although there is a setting that allows you to set your step count as low as 5 and as high as 20. I first tried a popular I90 trail that I'd never been on. You can start the app at your driveway or at the trailhead. I started it at the driveway. It took me directly to the trailhead, automatically went from driving mode to trail talk mode. I won't bore you with all the hiking details, but it was spot on from start to finish. Next was a very obscure destination I've done once before. I don't have a GPS trac for it. Off trail. Snow covered. I didn't know what to expect with the verbal phone commands. I set the step counter to 10 steps between commands. Off I went without gps, map or compass. I just trusted the "Talking Trail" app. Wow! Extremely accurate. It gave me a command every 10 steps. It didn't put me in any compromising situations. Kept me out of danger. I was / am astonished at the accuracy of this app. Scary folks. Many destinations will now be within reach for even the most novice of hikers. I called and spoke with the app developers. I was most curious about my second destination and the apps accuracy on a route that has no published map or trail. In summary he said they developed a bot to search cyber space and grab any and all routes that have ever been published or posted on the internet. They have thousands in their library. My second destination had a published route. Crazy!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue May 15, 2018 6:12 pm 
I can't wait for the full release version, where you can choose a celebrity voice to guide you.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 15, 2018 6:14 pm 
Navigational skills no longer required -- just plenty of spare batteries and an armored case.

neek

neek
PostTue May 15, 2018 7:24 pm 
There are a couple experimental features you can enable if you know how to - "take selfie" and "launch drone". Before you scoff at this, think how it will revolutionize the hiking experience for the blind. And if it leads someone off a cliff, remember that social media is to blame, being the source of the data.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 16, 2018 9:21 am 
I use that app when I hike, too, but I hurt my back, so I have a drone follow me around with a loud speaker, telling me which way to go every 10 steps. That way I don't have to carry it myself.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed May 16, 2018 10:19 am 
It's all fun and games until someone steps over the edge of a cliff on a switchbacky trail on step 9.

friluftsliv
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed May 16, 2018 10:59 am 
Great, now skynet will be able to hunt us even in the woods.

BdCast

BdCast
PostWed May 16, 2018 11:31 am 
Where can we learn more about this app?

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed May 16, 2018 8:48 pm 
BdCast wrote:
Where can we learn more about this app?
Hmmm... uhh.gif Scorpions and ticks in the millions. The Puzzlr and RichP adventure.
Bootpathguy wrote:
C'mon folks. All the BS I've posted, it amazes me that anybody here takes me serious.
He might be trying to reel some of us in. wink.gif It is still April 1st isn't it? ~z

BdCast

BdCast
PostWed May 16, 2018 10:23 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Hmmm... uhh.gif Scorpions and ticks in the millions. The Puzzlr and RichP adventure.
I visited those links but still didn’t find anything. I really need to find his app. With summer approaching I want to get out on some hikes badly, I need this app to guide me so I don’t get lost.