Forum Index > Trip Reports > Black Lake (Pasayten), Gilbert (ghost town) & Lewis Butte: 05/12/18 - 05/13/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue May 15, 2018 10:04 pm 
When I heard that hwy 20 was reopening, I jumped on the opportunity to spend a weekend in the methow. Didn't want to deal with sloppy snow, so stayed down low. Headed over Saturday and set up camp along the Chewuch river. It was roaring like I'd never seen before. Started up the Lake Creek trail around 2pm. Lake Creek was also roaring from recent snowmelt. Not much shade on this trail due to the 2003 fire, but there were a few seasonal streams to cool off in along the way. A lot of early season trip reports from past years noted substantial deadfall on this trail, but thankfully I only encountered about 10-15 downed trees. Didn't seem to be any recent cuts, so perhaps winter wasn't as harsh this year as it had been in previous years. The trail is quite overgrown in spots though. Long pants saved my legs from the scratchy brush. I did encounter a nude hiker about a half mile from the lake. To each their own, but all I could think was yowzers, that's gotta hurt in that thick brush eek.gif A little windy at the lake, but refreshing on such a hot day. Ran into a couple camping at the lake, but that was it. Didn't encounter anyone on the way back. Pics:
After getting back to the trailhead, I decided to go check out the Thirtymile memorial for the firefighters. Couldn't get to the trailhead due to a washout in the road 3 miles past Andrews Creek:
Enjoyed a relaxing evening by the river. My cheap frontcountry blowup mattress had a hole in it, so I ended up sleeping on Pebbles' dog bed for the night. On Sunday morning I went to check out Gilbert, a ghost town west of Twisp. All that remains are two collapsed buildings, but still an interesting place to check out if you're in the area.
Headed over to Lewis Butte afterward for some wildflowers. The balsamroot are done, but the lupine are still going strong and are very fragrant right now. The flower show was much better a couple years ago here, but it was still very pretty. Pics:
Wrapped up the weekend with pizza and beer at East20 before the long but scenic journey home. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this area up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 16, 2018 5:02 am 
up.gif Hit the Trail and I did Black one year in April it was pretty messy along the trail but melted out nice at the head of the lake. That area melts out early from lack of tree cover the snow level must be pretty high around now.Nice wildflower show !

Living in the Anthropocene
RichP

RichP
PostWed May 16, 2018 6:43 am 
Looking nice over there. up.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed May 16, 2018 8:24 am 
Good early exploring of the Pasayten. up.gif Any tics on the Black Lake trail?

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed May 16, 2018 12:37 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Good early exploring of the Pasayten. up.gif Any tics on the Black Lake trail?
None on me or the pooch.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 16, 2018 7:59 pm 
Wow beautiful pics. Thanks so much for the report. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln