Forum Index > Trail Talk > Easily floatable wilderness rivers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh

Josh
PostThu May 17, 2018 7:14 am 
What rivers in Washington are floatable through wilderness areas on a very lightweight packraft? Specifically, I'm looking for mostly class 1, since I'll probably portage around anything rougher. I'm thinking of incorporating river travel as a way to quickly cover some distance (and give my feet a rest) during long backpacking trips. Example (hypothetical, not sure if true): the White River (the one just south of Glacier Peak) would be floatable in June through July for most of the way from the Lightning Creek confluence until it reaches road 6400. Thanks! -Josh

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 17, 2018 10:03 am 
did you check packrafting.org ?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Josh

Josh
PostThu May 17, 2018 10:15 am 
No I didn't, thanks for the suggestion. -Josh

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu May 17, 2018 11:54 am 
Its not designated wilderness but the cedar river from maple valley to renton is a fun float and its cleared of blocking trees(at least it was at high flow) from maple valley to river mile ~3 in east renton, where a big tree still exists. Ignore the sign at river mile ~7, that tree was taken care of by the winter flow. Class 2. Did it a few weeks ago at 1200 CFS in cheap inflatables, no problem. Its relatively pristine despite being close to town. Don't see much development from the river bed.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm 
One key thing you need to look at is gradient-- how many feet per mile does the river drop? You'll want a very low gradient number to have an easy float. One idea, the Waptus river from the Trail Creek ford down a few miles might work -- as long as you pull out before the river picks up it's pace near where the trail pulls away. The Cooper between Pete Lake and Cooper Lake might work as well -- but there are likely a couple of sections with rapids that would require a portage or at least scouting. Watch out for logs and trees -- those can kill.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu May 17, 2018 1:15 pm 
It depends on what you call "easy'. For most rafters and kayakers with some experience Class II is considered easy. I would recommend the Smith River in Montana if you have some experience, but it is not an "inner tube" river. Difficult to get a permit, and it is a true wilderness float. 95 miles with no other access than the put in and take out. Quote: Q. Is there whitewater on the Smith River? A. Throughout its length, the Smith River moves quickly with sharp turns, rocky shallows and snags in/or partially across the river. There is one section of class II whitewater at river mile 47 and several sections of class II whitewater at mile 49. The current of the river can sweep you into sheer rock walls and in higher flows the eddies can be very strong. In addition, floaters may encounter float gates, downed trees and pieces of fence torn loose by high water. You should have, at a minimum, intermediate rowing or paddling skills before floating the Smith River. Secure all equipment tightly in your boat and carry your gear in waterproof bags or boxes.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu May 17, 2018 2:21 pm 
Quote:
95 miles with no other access than the put in and take out.
That sounds AWESOME. One of these summers... one of the longest most pristine and most remote(read expensive to access) relatively flat water trips... floating the mighty Yukon one summer is on my bucket list! That would rock.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon May 21, 2018 6:12 am 
FYI the White has a lot of trees blocking constant floating without getting out and the upper part that is in the Wilderness area is by no means class 1.