Forum Index > Trip Reports > baldy + gray wolf, the long(er) way 5.12-5.13.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu May 17, 2018 11:28 pm 
Tyler and Baldy have been on my list as an early season destination for awhile, but never at the top. After a very indecisive Saturday morning I decided to cross them off. But I missed the 12:20 ferry by a hair and had to wait an hour for the next one. Then had to stop in Poulsbo for gas, lunch and supplies. Ruby dog and I finally started hiking at almost 5pm from the Upper Dungeness trailhead. I guess I should have been doing trip research instead of reading a novel on the ferry, because later I figured out that starting here added about 4.5 miles and 1600' of elevation gain to the trip. Anyway, we took the Upper Dungeness trail to Maynard Burn trail, which is as steep as advertised. We hit solid snow around 5400-5500'. At 5600', where the trail begins to contour along the slope, we left the trail and went straight up to the ridge, much easier travel. I had left snowshoes in the car. We arrived at the very windy Baldy summit around 8:45pm and were surprised to find a handful of other people there including Matt, Cartman and Dicey. Matt pointed out the less-windy place to camp (thanks again!) and Ruby introduced herself and searched for crumbs from everyone's dinners while I set things up.
first view from the ridge
first view from the ridge
gray wolf + baldy
gray wolf + baldy
tyler
tyler
pano from ridge
pano from ridge
When I rolled out of the tent around 5am on Sunday, that crew was already leaving for what I imagine was another epic ridge run that we will get a report about soon. I hung out at Baldy's summit for sunrise and then went back to sleep.
going up to baldy for sunrise
going up to baldy for sunrise
spot the nwhikers
spot the nwhikers
spot the nwhiker
spot the nwhiker
olympus
olympus
baldy sunrise pano
baldy sunrise pano
I woke up again a few hours later and decided to try to get Ruby to stay in camp while I went to Gray Wolf. On the second attempt at instructing her to "stay", it seemed to work. But I was pretty nervous about leaving her /her wandering off so I booked it to Gray Wolf as fast as I could. Which was not really that fast, but at least I had the benefit of good steps kicked by the earlier risers (thanks for that too!)
steps
steps
up the ridge
up the ridge
stairway to summit
stairway to summit
gray wolf summit pano
gray wolf summit pano
views
views
views
views
views
views
The views from Gray Wolf were sweet and I was sad that I couldn't stay longer, but after about 10 minutes I turned around and headed back toward Baldy. When I got back to camp, Ruby was passed out in the exact same place I had left her, just cooking in the sun.
staying
staying
We ate lunch, packed up, and headed out. From point 6520 to Peak B the ridge was mostly snow covered with some postholing, but not too bad. I decided to save Tyler for another day, and we headed down the Tyler way trail which was totally snow free and dry. And steep. There are several small streams at 4800' and below which was good because it was HOT.
looking back to baldy
looking back to baldy
ahead to tyler
ahead to tyler
soak feet here
soak feet here
When we arrived at the road where the way trail begins and I realized that we could have parked there and been done hiking already, my head nearly exploded. But we continued for another couple miles on a boring old road, then met up with the lower maynard burn trail which took us back down to the upper dungeness. The mossy green forest and the roaring river almost made up for the extra distance. doof.gif
ahhhhh
ahhhhh
~14 miles + 7500' my first ONP summit! more photos

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri May 18, 2018 6:37 am 
I always think of this cougar encounter when I see a report from that area. eek.gif
Quote:
The Story:Half way up the trail to Mt. Tyler one day, I had a close encounter with a cougar. I was walking up a steep portion of the trail which bent around a large fir tree. I stopped to catch my breath, enjoy the views and mark the trail for the return. When I stepped around the tree, my hiking pole hit within 12 inches of a cougar’s paw. He had sneaked up behind the tree while I had stood there. The cougar exploded from behind the tree and ran down the trail about 50 feet and stopped. There was dust flying everywhere. It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening. When the cougar crouched down and came back toward me a few steps, I made myself as big and aggressive as possible. I waved my arms, my hat and hiking poles. I never took my eyes off of him nor made myself smaller by bending down to grab a rock or stick. The cat took a couple more steps toward me, then stopped. We stared each other down for a few minutes. Then, like a ghost, he disappeared into the trees. My adrenaline was so high that I almost flew down the trail, albeit backwards for the first half mile. The next day I went back to the area, with a hiking buddy, to take pictures and reconstruct what had happened. We found his tracks coming over and down the ridge toward the tree and then digging in the last 15 feet, as he sneaked up behind the tree. It appeared to be a coincidence that he was coming down as I was coming up. The hiking poles scared him. Most likely he came back at me to test whether I was prey. I say him because he looked like a big tom, weighing about 150 lbs or so. I remember being struck by the fact that his head was bigger than mine. He was probably 3 or 4 years old and was still in his testy years. His movements were the most graceful and agile that I have ever seen in an animal. I have since learned that only 10% of cougar encounters happen in the wilderness. Most occur in rural areas where people and younger cats are more prevalent. In the wilderness the older toms are dominate and don’t want to be seen.
http://exploreolympics.com/reports/?p=1823

reststep

reststep
PostFri May 18, 2018 9:42 am 
Thanks for the report and great pictures of one of my favorite areas. It looks like it is time to head up that way. Thanks for the cougar story Rich. I had not heard about that encounter previously. Going by the date of the comments it looks like it took place in October of 2011. Very interesting. Can't wait for Matt's report.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
geyer

geyer
PostFri May 18, 2018 10:03 am 
I tried to get people to go back here with me all winter and suddenly Matt/Eric asked me if I wanted to come with their group and you were out there all on the same weekend... and of course I have other plans. D'OH!

cartman

cartman
PostFri May 18, 2018 10:54 am 
Good to meet you and the Ruby-dog on Baldy, she's very friendly. That's amazing you have her trained to stay put when she could run off wherever if she were of a mind to.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostFri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm 
RichP wrote:
this cougar encounter
eek.gif is right!
geyer wrote:
of course I have other plans.
Well, upside, now you know what it's like to hang in a crevasse by your skis. (ok with your skis... but that doesn't sound quite as exciting)
cartman wrote:
That's amazing you have her trained to stay put
Ha! I wish. That's just her being an old tired dog. Anyway good to meet you too. I saw on WHC that it was a milestone trip for you - congrats!

gb

gb
PostSat May 19, 2018 7:17 am 
RichP wrote:
I always think of this cougar encounter when I see a report from that area. eek.gif
Quote:
The Story:Half way up the trail to Mt. Tyler one day, I had a close encounter with a cougar. I was walking up a steep portion of the trail which bent around a large fir tree. I stopped to catch my breath, enjoy the views and mark the trail for the return. When I stepped around the tree, my hiking pole hit within 12 inches of a cougar’s paw. He had sneaked up behind the tree while I had stood there. The cougar exploded from behind the tree and ran down the trail about 50 feet and stopped. There was dust flying everywhere. It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening. When the cougar crouched down and came back toward me a few steps, I made myself as big and aggressive as possible. I waved my arms, my hat and hiking poles. I never took my eyes off of him nor made myself smaller by bending down to grab a rock or stick. The cat took a couple more steps toward me, then stopped. We stared each other down for a few minutes. Then, like a ghost, he disappeared into the trees. My adrenaline was so high that I almost flew down the trail, albeit backwards for the first half mile. The next day I went back to the area, with a hiking buddy, to take pictures and reconstruct what had happened. We found his tracks coming over and down the ridge toward the tree and then digging in the last 15 feet, as he sneaked up behind the tree. It appeared to be a coincidence that he was coming down as I was coming up. The hiking poles scared him. Most likely he came back at me to test whether I was prey. I say him because he looked like a big tom, weighing about 150 lbs or so. I remember being struck by the fact that his head was bigger than mine. He was probably 3 or 4 years old and was still in his testy years. His movements were the most graceful and agile that I have ever seen in an animal. I have since learned that only 10% of cougar encounters happen in the wilderness. Most occur in rural areas where people and younger cats are more prevalent. In the wilderness the older toms are dominate and don’t want to be seen.
http://exploreolympics.com/reports/?p=1823
Rich P on the menu. Well that is quite an encounter! But I'm sure you weren't scared. wink.gif

RichP

RichP
PostSat May 19, 2018 7:26 am 
gb wrote:
Rich P on the menu. Well that is quite an encounter! But I'm sure you weren't scared. wink.gif
Not my encounter but it is someone that puzzlr knows who lives in Sequim. I'm sure he had to change his underpants that day though. biggrin.gif