Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacker's Shrinking Pantry
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mb

mb
PostFri May 18, 2018 5:45 pm 
I was poking around REI today and saw that Backpacker's Pantry has new fancier packaging. I decided to compare some old/new packaged item. The difference? Well, the package material and logo. And the size. It was 20% smaller, by weight and calories and appearance. I should have taken a photo... I just went online, and the online photos suggest the product is changing in weird ways. Compare the weight and calorie count of these three (not the one I picked up, but one on multiple stores): http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/thai-coconut-curry.html https://www.sierratradingpost.com/backpackers-pantry-thai-coconut-curry-with-beef-2-servings~p~ve472/?filterString=backpackers-pantry~b~1167%2F https://www.rei.com/product/885722/backpackers-pantry-chiang-mai-coconut-curry-with-beef-2-servings Right now the REI one is the new style package but 350 kCal and 6.0 oz. The STP one is new style package, 270 kCal and 6.6 oz, and the manufacturer is showing and old style package, 270 kCal, and 6.7 oz. Buyer beware!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 18, 2018 6:36 pm 
From the product reviews on that last URL cited, it does not sound like something I would want to put into my mouth. gag.gif Homemade meal + food dehydrator = great backpacking food (less 650 milligrams of sodium, less maltodextrin, less sodium casseinate.) (And the zip-lock bags are re-usable.) up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri May 18, 2018 7:38 pm 
+1 for dehydrating your own meals

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri May 18, 2018 9:26 pm 
I bought a bunch of their product years ago, ate what was edible and finally threw the rest away. One of their meals had 2700 mg of sodium as I recall, and was exceptionally salty.

mb

mb
PostFri May 18, 2018 9:43 pm 
i'm not actually sure if i've eaten much of theirs. usually am not out long enough to care about freeze dried packaging, i just keep one or two around or in the car as emergency food. but just in case you were expecting to use them for sustenance... i do wonder how many backpackers are 'calorie counters' in the classic sense?

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostFri May 18, 2018 10:21 pm 
I don't particularly care for that brand. They just taste...off. I prefer Mountain House, but they're all too expensive anyway for the number of calories contained.

kvpair

kvpair
PostThu May 31, 2018 3:17 pm 
+1 for dehydrator. I buy veggies for cheap in summer and go on a dehydrating binge. You can dehydrate chicken effectively too - good luck with the monster Costco pack of canned chicken. Add the spices that you like and you're good to go.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu May 31, 2018 3:36 pm 
Mountain House is better. And the "dumber" the better - chili mac, spaghetti/meat sauce, etc.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 31, 2018 3:55 pm 
I used to be a Mountain House fan but started getting diminishing returns, probably just ate too damn many of them. I've switched over to Alpine Aire, tastier in my opinion. Might be a bit light on calories, but Idahoan brand instant potatoes are $1 per packet vs. $8 or $9 or so for freeze dried stuff at REI. Really tasty, smaller and more packable. Doesn't have little bits of veggies or meat like substance, but could be used for a backpacking meal.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 31, 2018 4:16 pm 
Idahoan has several flavors some have imitation bacon bits. Standard fare for thru hikers.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu May 31, 2018 5:11 pm 
I usually eat one or two per season. Good to have on hand. I like their beef stew for breakfast (I'm not a breakfast person). So yeah, while I like making my own backpacking meals, I don't mind a store-bought one on occasion.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 31, 2018 5:55 pm 
8 or so years ago, after 25+ years and hundreds of meals, I just said "no" to freeze dried meals. We catch most of our mountain protein these days. For side dish, Uwajimaya ramen aisle FTW, supplement with Idahoan spuds. Quaker instant grits, bacon bits and olive oil for breakfast. Cheese is nice too. You too can just say "no" to freeze dried plastifood.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 9:53 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Uwajimaya ramen aisle FTW, supplement with Idahoan spuds. Quaker instant grits, bacon bits and olive oil for breakfast.
You get me.

anthonyl

anthonyl
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 12:59 pm 
+1 for no gross, prepackaged freeze dried food. That being said, my wife and I are saving for a freeze dryer!!!

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:30 am 
I don't do prepacked much any more, but that doesn't mean pre-made freeze dried or dehydrated ingredients aren't worth using. The upside of assembling your own is portion control plus you control how much salt / spices / etc goes into it. A few examples: DIY teriyaki bowls - use instant rice (any grocery), veggies of your choice from Harmony House, dehydrated chicken (large cans of Mountain House brand) from Be Prepared, and sauce packets from Minimus dot biz. Boiling water rehydrates the ingredients, add sauce, enjoy. Breakfast burrito - tortilla of your choice. Powered eggs (can or packet of MH) from Be Prepared. Powdered milk from any grocery. Sausage crumbles from MH (can or packet). Dehydrated onion and bell peppers from Harmony House. Cooking oil, Salsa and hot sauce packets from Minimus. Boil water - use to rehydrate onion, peppers and sausage crumbles. Meanwhile, add right amount of water to eggs with 1 teaspoon of powdered milk per 2 eggs of powder. Whip thoroughly to mix. Use oil packet in the pan, scramble eggs. Once eggs are almost done, drain excess water from onion / pepper / sausage mix and add to eggs. Mix to combine and finish cooking eggs. Ladle into tortilla and top with salsa and hot sauce to taste. Spud salad with chicken: Veggies from Harmony House. Chicken from Be Prepared. Vinegar / Mayo / mustard packets from Minimus. Prepare per https://thehikingtreeblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/28/gourmet-trail-recipes-potato-salad/ with the exception of adding chicken to the mix. Note that the spuds take a while to cold rehydrate. Burrito: Use a Knorr Spanish Rice Side as the base. Add MH dehydrated chicken, beef or sausage crumbles to taste. Minimus salsa and hot sauce packets. Store bought tortillas. Cook rice side with meat. Use as filling. Use slices of store bought cheddar cheese. Add hot sauce / salsa. Enjoy. Options include various beans (refried, black, red, pinto, etc), onions, peppers, etc from the various sources.