Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat May 19, 2018 8:29 pm 
nordique wrote:
Wrist straps, to my mind, on descents, seem to increase the chance of a dislocated shoulder.
When hiking while using trekking poles, unless there is some transfer of weight onto the poles, then there is no purpose to have them. And that transfer of weight has to go through the arms and thus the shoulder joint. If you don't use trekking poles then all the weight is carried by the legs and thus the joints of the legs, i.e. ankles, knees, hips. But with all the joints, it is important not to lock them and allow the muscles and tendons to ease the jarring effects of descent and strain of ascent. This is true whether the straps are used or not. Proper positioning of the straps allows the poles to be held loosely rather than tightly gripped. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat May 19, 2018 8:39 pm 
Some people use poles to reduce hand swelling.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat May 19, 2018 9:44 pm 
I think this thread answers the original question. Just look away from ineffectual technique and do not say a word. For some reason this is a very touchy point with a lot of people. After trying to give people hints and tips, I realized it was better to just keep quiet. Reducing swelling in hands works with or without straps. Death grip on the poles can mess up your hands in long term use, but doesn't matter if the poles are a decoration on your pack 90% of the time anyway, as they seem to be for most people. I mainly use the straps with the age old designated hands through and weight distributed on wrists and hands. I had to use sticks almost like crutches before I finally gave up and got my ankle fused. When going through rocky sections that can grab a tip and yank me around, I modify the strap grab so the sticks can pull away and sometimes I use the tops when going down really tough stuff. So really, the situation can influence the grip and some people rarely use their sticks and maybe the death grip works just fine for those situations anyway. Better just to move along and not try to school folks, unless you like confrontation.

friluftsliv
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun May 20, 2018 7:08 am 
kbatku wrote:
And yeah, I'm loathe to point this out (MYOB and all that) but it also pains me to see people making such a basic mistake. I wonder why hiking poles don't come with instructions, people could really use some help. smile.gif
I see this in all walks of life and I won't live enough centuries to straighten them all out. wink.gif You'll likely live longer and happier if you ignore 99% of 'em. Maybe, MAYBE if you see someone actually trying to figure it out and isn't getting it, you might offer an opinion, but otherwise just stroll on by.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Solohikerman

Solohikerman
PostSun May 20, 2018 7:35 am 
I see people risking their lives out there and I ignore them, I certainly wouldn't bother telling people how to use poles properly. It's like telling people to leash their dog. People don't ever want to be told what to do. Even when they are breaking the law. If you feel that strongly about it, print out instructions and just hand them to people on the trails and keep hiking. Why bother spending time with them, or tell them to youtube it. If they don't want to spend the time learning it on their own, why would you waste your time? OR, even better idea. Why don't you make a youtube video about it, then you can say hey youtube my video just search for "xyz how to use trekking poles properly".

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun May 20, 2018 8:43 am 
Maybe people don't want to ask because they are afraid of the reaction they will get. I was taking a break on a trail one time when another guy was coming down from where I was going. I said hello and causally ask him about directions to the best campsites. He got irritated and said I shouldn't be out here if I didn't know where I was going, "Just get a map and figure it out ahead of time". Using that philosophy nobody needs to post any beta on this site.

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostSun May 20, 2018 10:06 am 
I have the same sort of feeling often when I'm cycling and I see someone riding with their seat way too low or high or with almost flat tires. I just know they would enjoy the experience so much more if they were to make a few quick adjustments! I feel like a lot of people these days are easily offended or not open to instruction so I keep my mouth shut. I do like to take care of my family and friends and help them get their bikes set up correctly, and because we have that pre-existing relationship they know I'm not just a pompous know it all. OTOH, I love getting pointers from people who know more about a certain subject than myself. I attempted to reach myself to dh ski this winter and I was hoping I could get more pointers out of people on the lift, but most people seemed pretty hesitant about offering above. So maybe they're all feeling like me and that if they share they might get their head bitten off.

pcg

pcg
PostSun May 20, 2018 12:26 pm 
MesiJezi wrote:
I attempted to reach myself to dh ski this winter and I was hoping I could get more pointers out of people on the lift, but most people seemed pretty hesitant about offering above.
Did you ask?

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun May 20, 2018 12:27 pm 
boot up wrote:
but doesn't matter if the poles are a decoration on your pack 90% of the time anyway,
Fifty percenter here. I prefer the uphill to be a lower body workout, no aid. Downhill they are quite useful (obviously) for protecting the knees and hips. It was a very touching 60th birthday gift. . . lol. Strapper/no strapper going downhill, Kascadio is a palmer, vive le difference. I thought this thread was a joke until googling "proper use of hiking poles". . . so many opportunities to get your 15 minutes of fame these days, Andy was right.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostSun May 20, 2018 12:27 pm 
Yes! I got the best advice from a kid who was part of the middle school friday night ski bus program at Snoqualmie.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun May 20, 2018 5:00 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
When I first started using poles I was gripping them tightly with my hands thru the strap and got tennis elbow (tendonitis) in both elbows.
This happened to me also and the tendonitis lasted over a year and didn't go away until I started using the "rubber bar" physical therapy technique (see here). I think it got the tendonitis not so much due to my grip as due to the fact I was relying too much on my poles for propulsion. Nowadays, I alternate between the "grab the grip" method vs the "use the straps primarily" method and haven't had any problems.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm 
From Leki:
From Black Diamond:
And another:
Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun May 20, 2018 9:34 pm 
Rumi's videos get the strap technique right, but the length wrong (especially the first two). That horizontal forearm-90-degree-elbow thing is how you'd size a ski pole, not a trekking pole. If you want to get some actual body weight on the poles--so it's not on your legs, joints, and feet--shorten those things down to about your belly button so they're well under you.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun May 20, 2018 10:04 pm 
I wouldn't know if they are being used right or wrong as I have never used them before, I like to have free hands as I go and have good health in all of my leg joints luckily... The only time I feel like I would want them is on a steep downhill for support, and most people I see use them just carry both in one hand awkwardly on these stretches

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 20, 2018 10:38 pm 
burck17 wrote:
I wouldn't know if they are being used right or wrong as I have never used them before, I like to have free hands as I go and have good health in all of my leg joints luckily...
I didn't start using them until about 18 years ago. I was having knee problems and specifically when descending. I did two things to help with that, I started using trekking poles and I lightened up my load I was carrying. I think both were significant for my knees but I think lightening the load was the majority. Even so, I decided to learn how to use the poles correctly if I was going to use them. I did my research and once I started using them it felt so natural. They aid in so many ways it just seems silly I didn't start using them sooner. But as the OP observed, proper trekking pole use is so often ignored, and that especially applies to how the straps are positioned. Rumi