Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiking Poles
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon May 21, 2018 8:59 am 
I would argue that the "right way" is a matter of preference. Those I see that have problems using poles usually have them adjusted to the wrong length. I seldom use the straps and you don't need a "death grip" to hang onto them.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon May 21, 2018 12:15 pm 
Lets throw some gas on this fire... Serendipity. I used to be a two pole hiker until one day when my wife forgot her's in the car. We were coming down the steep part of Bandera and I gave her one of my poles. I had never gone down that section so fast and easy, no stress on my legs at all, totally stable balance, felt like skiing. This is my regular training hike so I have been up and down that section many times, usually with two poles until that time. Now I never use two poles. Even my wife was blown away by how easy that descent was with one pole. The tripod configuration was so stable and it left me with one free hand. That unexpected experience changed my relationship with hiking poles forever. I only use one pole and only for steep descents. So I do carry my pole strapped to my pack 90% of the time. Sort of like crampons/micro spikes, they only get used for very specific circumstances, but when the need arises you're sure glad you have em. Plus, I hate that clacking clicking noise when hiking with 2 poles.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I would argue that the "right way" is a matter of preference. Those I see that have problems using poles usually have them adjusted to the wrong length. I seldom use the straps and you don't need a "death grip" to hang onto them.
I think the preference relates to what one wants to get out of the poles. But if that's taking real weight off one's legs, then there are most certainly some right and wrong ways to use them. In my experience, taking significant weight off one's legs does require something of a "death grip," unless of course one uses the straps correctly. Similarly, length is of little consequence if the poles are just feelers to help with balance; but to consistently get significant body weight on them, they need to be considerably shorter than the obviously contrived 90-degrees-horizontal-forearm advice would suggest. But still, HYOH. smile.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 21, 2018 6:23 pm 
kbatku wrote:
The strap should wrap over the back of the hand and loop up between the web of your thumb and your fingers. You should lightly grip the pole, the weight being carried by the strap onto your wrist.
That's the right way to hold a ski pole I always hold a ski pole like that But I never use straps on hiking poles Indeed, I remove the strap from my hiking poles

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon May 21, 2018 8:11 pm 
I am surprised no one has mentioned the value of trekking poles when crossing streams.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 21, 2018 8:16 pm 
Almost all thruhikers use poles, for what that is worth. shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
hikermike

hikermike
PostMon May 21, 2018 8:44 pm 
I have been hiking for 67 years but seriously hiking for only 56 years. I felt disgusted everytime I saw the erudite with sissy poles. The years took their toll and the hikes became shorter and harder. I was depressed. So I saw a pair of black diamonds on sale at the local REI women's clothing store (I'm being sarcastic) and bought a pair. I took some time off during a week on a remote trail so no one would see me and OMG! what a difference they made! I've never been on a hike since with out them. They made such a difference in regard to distance, fatique, muscle/joint pain and workout effect. I use them 99% of the time hiking and wouldn't know how to attach them to my pack. Previously, I always carried a long wooden shaft ice ax as a "cane", (no one makes 110 cm ice axes anymore), but hiking poles are an entirely different experience. A MILLION THANKS TO RUMIDUDE for the videos. I have searched hi and lo for years on how to use them and the only thing I found was an hour long video (YES an HOUR long!) which was second only in absolute boredom to the 5 cd set I have on the history of British Railways! However, I must say I'm in the grouping of those that don't use the straps which I feel are very uncomfortable and make me worry 100% of my hiking time that I might fall and break my wrist. As you get older, you become more and more aware, and wary, that a broken bone can end it all. Just a plug for another aspect for you aging hikers, Last summer I became "dedicated" (out of desperation) to "ultralite" Hiking. It's made me feel like I'm only 55 again! I'd set up camp and then "wonder what you can see from that ridge up there". Speaking of hard to find instruction videos, would someone please make one on what are all those loops and fastenings etc on packs for? They all have them and I never seem to find a use for them.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue May 22, 2018 9:47 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
I am surprised no one has mentioned the value of trekking poles when crossing streams.
Amen! Valuable both for bracing against the current and balancing on slippery logs or rocks. In my book (not yet written...), this alone is sufficient reason to bring them!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue May 22, 2018 9:48 am 
hikermike wrote:
an hour long video (YES an HOUR long!) which was second only in absolute boredom to the 5 cd set I have on the history of British Railways!
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostWed May 23, 2018 10:06 am 
Lol I cut those stupid straps off mine! They only get in the way 😂

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Mikey

Mikey
PostWed May 23, 2018 3:57 pm 
I agree with coldrain108. For trail hiking, I have one pole in my pack for possible use on descent. For off-trail brush wacking and hunting, no poles. It is my impression that no pole hiking helps maintain ones balance - but it does increase the risk of plowing a furrow with your nose (ie falling). Yes, a pole is helpful for stream crossing but often I have used an available stick.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 23, 2018 5:56 pm 
I have chastised obnoxious not so wild turkeys with hiking poles. It worked and they left to find friendlier humans to steal from. I did not use the strap whilst thumping the birds.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostSat May 26, 2018 7:58 am 
I've been doing it wrong. I'll have to try the straps that way next time!

reststep

reststep
PostSat May 26, 2018 2:52 pm 
In addition to helping at stream crossings I find they work very well and help with balance on low angle and flat snow fields. On steep snow fields I still prefer to have my ice ax.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 30, 2018 1:48 pm 
SKS wrote:
I would kindly ask if I could make a suggestion. If they say "What?" or "Sure", then show them a different way to hold their hiking poles. I think 99% of people would be receptive.
I agree, when I first purchased poles I had no idea about the strap wrist wrap thing until a hiking partner told me. I think most would appreciate it, plus while your at it ask if they know about nwh.net, packitgourmet and your favorite hiking trails like the gnome does. hockeygrin.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.