Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fatal Cougar Attack North Bend
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 21, 2018 11:40 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
This *suggests* something *worrisome* about the wildlife population in that area. No mountain lion should be malnourished in an area where there are *supposed to be* decent populations of deer, rabbits and other game, including elk. Lots of elk hanging around down on the valley floor between North Bend and Snoqualmie.
As noted, until the lab results from the necropsy come out (provided that they're made public) all we can do is speculate. I have to wonder, though, because of Dave's statement, that there might well be something in that article I cited on the previous page that provides part of an answer. If, as Dave suggests above, there is no great shortage of prey species, other than suffering from some disease what would be the cause of the animal's seeming state of malnutrition other than increased competition caused by an out-of-balance predator population?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon May 21, 2018 12:11 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
It does serve as a reminder, of course, that this is the Northwest, and once you leave the pavement and the sidewalks, bad things can happen to good people, even careful people who do what has been recommended for such situations.
Not that it matters, but I was under the impression that they were riding on pavement, which would seem to make this even more improbable
No, it's a gravel road up there.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 21, 2018 2:19 pm 
Ski wrote:
If, as Dave suggests above, there is no great shortage of prey species, other than suffering from some disease what would be the cause of the animal's seeming state of malnutrition other than increased competition caused by an out-of-balance predator population?
It could be nothing other than the fact the cougar was a young male which accounts for his size. One thing for sure, the cougar was healthy enough to grab a man by his head and shake him. And then kill the woman and drag her off to his den. He sounds healthy enough. I think it is a mistake to claim that this incident is "abnormal" just because most cougars don't attack people. Otherwise normal cougars have attacked and killed humans even though it is a very rare occurrence. What is normal are cougars ambushing their prey, which is what happened here, even though humans are not normal prey for cougars. There have been previous incidents of cougars attacking runners and mtn bikers. It is unclear exactly what causes the rare cougars attacks on humans. We guess but don't know the exact triggers. Children seem to be more subject to attack than adults. Fast moving humans like runners/bikers seem to be targets more than slow moving hikers. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 21, 2018 3:14 pm 
^ valid points. ^ as long as we're speculating here, don't forget to include the mountain biker who was attacked by a black bear while riding in the Banner State Forest near Port Orchard a few years ago - thought to have been caused simply by his moving quickly and startling the bear. maybe it's not a good idea to be moving quickly on trails in areas populated by cougars and bears. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon May 21, 2018 3:47 pm 
Good reminder that the wilderness is not something you can form a two-sided personal relationship with. You can buy a bike, and you can buy a permit, but you can't buy not getting mauled by cold and indifferent nature.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 21, 2018 3:49 pm 
I have noticed that when riding deer seem to run along side or just in front of you. When hiking deer scatter off to the side generally uphill. I have had deer run along with me for over a mile. Perhaps they think you are a deer also, if so cougars may also treat you like they treat deer eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BdCast

BdCast
PostMon May 21, 2018 4:57 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I have noticed that when riding deer seem to run along side or just in front of you. When hiking deer scatter off to the side generally uphill. I have had deer run along with me for over a mile. Perhaps they think you are a deer also, if so cougars may also treat you like they treat deer eek.gif
This. I’ve noticed this on my rides as well. You can get much closer to them. I just assumed it was because you are rolling, rather than making the noise of taking steps, which might be what’s spooks them.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon May 21, 2018 5:16 pm 
Ya, i think theres a big difference between deer interpretation of steps and wheels. They will let you get much closer on bikes. Then again, maybe its just your speed is faster so you tend to get closer before they decide?

Damian

Damian
PostTue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm 
I've also noticed when riding or driving that deer will run ahead or off to the side, but in front in either case. My theory has been that they are mentally programmed to run away (meaning, stay in front) of whatever is chasing them. Not realizing that neither cars nor bikes will turn and chase them into the woods, they take the easiest path which is to stay on the trail/road. And since the energy expended by a running animal increases non linearly with speed, staying just ahead of the threat optimizes the likelihood of successfully outrunning the hungry chaser. Hikers have less of a velocity vector so the deer don't interpret the heading of the threat as rigorously. So, while also sensing the significant relative mobility disadvantage of the hiker, they simply bounce up the nearest hill. Notation: this has been my theory based on years of evidence, but may be total BS. wink.gif

pcg

pcg
PostTue May 22, 2018 2:19 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
The guy who was killed tried to run away while the cougar was biting his companions head. The cougar saw that and went after him. Then the guy who was getting bit jumped on his bike and fled, while the cougar attacked the other guy. Easy to say from here, but you should not try to run from a cougar, and you should stay close to anyone you are with if a cougar attacks.
This. From the accounts it appears they successfully fended off the cougar when they first stopped and took a stand when they saw they were being chased. It was only after they then got back on their bikes and started pedaling away that they were attacked the second time. The advice to slowly back away still seems good and it appears they did not do that after their first encounter. How long do you slowly back away? I would think until you were sure the cougar had lost interest and was no longer watching.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue May 22, 2018 3:34 pm 
Personally I've always thought that if faced with a similar situation, I'd be backing away slowly pretty much all the way back down the trail, at which point I'd slowly back away in my vehicle, all the way down the highway till I'm home, then I'd back slowly through my front door and lock it twice just to be sure.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue May 22, 2018 3:57 pm 
FWIW my most intense cat encounter was with one at night while I was running a 3 dog team on a cart north of Thorp on the IHT. I only knew it was up there because of some big eye shine, which I first assumed was an elk and then when it was kinda paralleling us up on the bluff above more like a predator I automatically figured was a big loose dog... which is a common problem for sled dog teams so I went into the usual mode: stop, start yelling, shoo it off so it doesn't come down and cheap shot the team from behind. It was only after I had the headlamp sweeping around and I'd been yelling for a moment that suddenly a distinctly triangular-eared head outline became clear through the brush. That was an 'oh crap' moment for sure... the hounds were all GSPs so if they got wind of it they'd gladly wade into a brawl, and while I know they'd defend me right to the death the idea of getting an obviously full grown cat wound up in a gangline with three dogs did NOT sound appealing. Fortunately I'd rehearsed the moment multiple times in my head already, so I went on auto pilot... started picking up rocks, swearing like a sailor in my loudest deepest voice, and stayed close to the dogs (who never did scent it due to completely dead air but were definitely all watching the hill). The point of all this is... what I did worked. But the reaction to leave was MUCH slower and more reluctant than I would have liked. The cat at first kept circling around behind sage/bitter brush like it was annoyed and confused as I hucked rocks at it, and only finally started slowly stalking off. I got eye shine in my headlamp every time it looked back, and I held my ground and yelled every time until it was well gone. I turned the hounds around for the truck, looking back behind us frequently and shaking like I'd downed 2 pots of coffee, but we did it. *********** All that said, I'll take the chance of tangling with another cougar. Human males are by far the most dangerous predator that roams the planet and I've done a fair amount of route planning in hopes of avoiding the worst of 'em... this roughly approximates the 'how drunk can they be and still get there' category. BUT DO THINK THROUGH AHEAD OF TIME what you'll when encountering cats, bears, etc. Having that cemented in was a HUGE advantage IMO, because even while my conscious brain was still trying to get a grip on what was happening the rest of me went straight into action, and that's exactly what I needed at that moment.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed May 23, 2018 4:42 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
Personally I've always thought that if faced with a similar situation, I'd be backing away slowly pretty much all the way back down the trail, at which point I'd slowly back away in my vehicle, all the way down the highway till I'm home, then I'd back slowly through my front door and lock it twice just to be sure.
Or how's about just opening fire? winksmile.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 23, 2018 4:54 pm 
Well... that's all fine and well if you're packin' heat, but not everybody is doing that. Personally I prefer cookpot and rock - makes a LOT of noise and I don't have to worry about reloading. wink.gif

AR

AR
PostWed May 23, 2018 6:35 pm 
Yes, and we got the ol' mace, hot pepper spray, and a bear gun thinger that's like a one shot m-80 launcher. I can see shoving that into the cougar, it bouncing of it and me, then a smoking crater near a cat and human asking "What the hell?"

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?