Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fatal Cougar Attack North Bend
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed May 23, 2018 8:17 pm 
When the cougar presence in a given locale is dense enough, you can just play a round of "wild nights"! Thats a hunting technique where you wait for it to get dark and then shoot in all directions. Then when the sun comes up you look around to see how well you did.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu May 24, 2018 12:08 am 
You do realize that cougar's control their own populations, right? A single strong, healthy, smart adult male controls a large territory. He kills or drives off other males that trespass. There are studies that show hunting actually increases human/cougar conflict because if that dominate older wiser male is taken out, all the young and dumb males get to wreak havoc and they haven't nessicarily learned not to mess with people or animals belonging to people. It's big kitty anarchy.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 24, 2018 12:26 am 
^ mentioned in one of my previous posts here in this thread. unfortunately KING5 doesn't provide a link to the study itself.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu May 24, 2018 6:42 am 
One has to remember with old age comes wisdom and those older male cats are cage and not as easily seen or hunted. Of the 6 cats I have seen only one was a larger cat. While the male cats have a larger range compared to the female that's not to say that you are going to have 1 or 2 cats every 150 miles. It just means that the males range can be that far. If a cat comes across a herd of deer or elk they will try to take out as many as they can. More than likely not feeding on but one. What I have noticed on trail cams is they have a routine where they may come thru an area every 30 days. But that just my observation.

mike

mike
PostThu May 24, 2018 8:39 am 
From problem getting cell service and from the released transcript of the 911 call it appears there was trouble locating them. A PLB would have helped get someone there much sooner.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu May 24, 2018 9:20 am 
timberghost wrote:
If a cat comes across a herd of deer or elk they will try to take out as many as they can. More than likely not feeding on but one.
Care to substantiate this statement?

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu May 24, 2018 10:10 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
Or how's about just opening fire?
What am I supposed to use, man, harsh language??

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu May 24, 2018 10:35 am 
mike wrote:
From problem getting cell service and from the released transcript of the 911 call it appears there was trouble locating them. A PLB would have helped get someone there much sooner.
Story in yesterday's Seattle Times https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/911-calls-on-cougar-attack-dropped-calls-and-a-help/ *Assuming* the caller had a smartphone and not a 'feature' phone (aka flip phone, aka dumb phone), the wireless carrier handling the 911 call is supposed to provide "phase 2" coordinates with sufficient accuracy to find people. Apparently that did not happen. Moral of story: Everyone needs an app on their phone that: 1. Easy to use in stressful emergency 2. Displays latitude longitude in decimal degrees (dd.ddddd) and the related accuracy value. 3. Minimize possibility of user error (i.e. accidentally giving 911 a waypoint you saved from 6 hours and 2 miles ago) If you need such an app you can take a look at FindMeSAR (https://findmesar.com). Tap the "Next format" button until you see the yellow screen. Full disclosure: I am the developer. There is no doubt in my mind that lives would be saved if all students in middle school and high school were taught the importance of having such an app. I don't care if people use the app I wrote. I do care that everyone has an app that meets the above requirements.

DadFly

DadFly
PostThu May 24, 2018 1:00 pm 
This is the time of year I carry bear spray. It can be deployed as quickly as a pistol, covers an area many times larger that a shotgun with little effort and will deter anything that breathes. Bears coming out of hibernation are often desperately hungry. This cat may have been sick or just down on its luck. My brother encountered a cat like this in Montana a few decades ago. He put it down with a bow as it was stalking him and not backing off. Same diminished status. Cats had just been taken off the bounty list so maybe there is something to the "loss of wisdom" as mentioned earlier. But a can of spray might have changed this current outcome a lot. The bikers might have escaped unharmed and the cat might have lived and learned to avoid humans. Speculation at this point. But I would be far more likely to hit an attacking animal with spray than with a bullet.

"May you live in interesting times"
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 24, 2018 2:44 pm 
DadFly wrote:
But a can of spray might have changed this current outcome a lot.
Maybe, didn't work out so well for this guy although he did survive. http://www.ktvq.com/story/33299198/montana-man-documents-moments-after-grizzly-bear-attack I like this ?...."How can you tell the difference between Griz and Black Bear scat? The Griz scat contains pieces of bear pepper spray cans and little bells...".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DadFly

DadFly
PostThu May 24, 2018 3:59 pm 
Yup. You got me. Fire away. "This U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service publication Fact Sheet #8 – Bear Spray vs. Bullets – Which offers better protection? (pdf file) states that since 1992, 50% of all people that attempt to protect themselves from grizzly bear attacks with a firearm were injured. Those that used pepper spray “escaped injury most of the time”, and if they were attacked, their injuries were less serious and the attacks did not last as long. So if you plan to hike or hunt in grizzly bear country, get yourself a magnum sized pepper spray canister and keep it handy in a holster. It will be as useless as an unloaded gun if it’s in your backpack. I take that back. An unloaded gun can be used as a hammer." http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/bear-spray-pepper-spray-vs-gun/

"May you live in interesting times"
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu May 24, 2018 4:38 pm 
Bear spray works on cougars also.
Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu May 24, 2018 4:45 pm 
So do chainsaws.
Rumi <~~~~~~can use a chainsaw

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu May 24, 2018 6:36 pm 
Okay, hold on while I go weigh my chainsaw and compare it to my pepper spray.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu May 24, 2018 7:07 pm 
Yeah, I vote pepper spray. I'm a reasonably good shot with a .22 rifle, but I'd be lucky to hit the side of a barn with a handgun. And with my luck I'd break my arm by falling on it when I was digging in a pocket for candy.

~Mom jeans on wheels