Forum Index > Trail Talk > crevasse danger around Hinman and Daniel?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh

Josh
PostThu May 24, 2018 1:18 pm 
I'm considering a solo ski trip to Hinman & Daniel in the ALW this weekend. I'm pretty confident that the crevasses on the Hinman & Lynch glaciers are small enough, and the snowpack deep enough, that I should be able to ski them without any crevasse risk. But since I've never actually set foot on those glaciers, I'd like to hear from folks here too: do you think there's any risk? Thanks, -Josh

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu May 24, 2018 1:35 pm 
The crevasses on Lynch can be...significant.

gb

gb
PostThu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm 
The Upper Lynch still has the appearance of being a relatively thick and somewhat active glacier. Compared to the Frying Pan (where skied), the Inter Glacier, Ruth Mountain, the crevasses are quite large. A comparable glacier might be the Icy Glacier.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu May 24, 2018 2:55 pm 
The one thing you do not have to be concerned about are the glaciers on Hinman, because those are dead. These is still some ice buried under the snow, but those would not be a crevasse concern. Hinman/Daniel trips more typically traverse to Pea Soup lake. Here is a good discussion: https://wenatcheeoutdoors.org/2016/05/22/daniel-mthinman-mt/

Josh

Josh
PostFri May 25, 2018 9:41 am 
Thanks, guys. Sounds like there is some nonzero risk from Lynch Glacier crevasses that may be snow covered but big enough not to be snow-filled. I'll probably traverse above or below the glacier to stay safe. Thanks for the beta. -Josh

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri May 25, 2018 5:04 pm 
Yeah, the Lynch is cracked in places. It's a great ski. What route do you plan? Traversing high from the E to the top of Lynch, skiing the Lynch, then exiting via a traverse of the Daniel Glacier cirque is a very nice lollipop tour. But if I were doing it solo I'd skin up the descent route (via traversing Daniel Glacier cirque) to get a better look.

Josh

Josh
PostFri May 25, 2018 5:29 pm 
I'm going to head in via Necklace Valley to La Bohn lakes and see where the terrain takes me from there. Given what I'm hearing here, I'll probably just skip the Lynch altogether; there'll be plenty of other places to ski up there. -Josh

Josh

Josh
PostTue May 29, 2018 9:17 pm 
FYI, I made the trip over the long weekend as planned. I summited Hinman but didn't make it over to Daniel. I skied a bit on the Hinman Glacier, but it was survival skiing -- late afternoon slush made it difficult and I was setting off a lot of wet sloughs. Great scenery up there, though. -Josh

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue May 29, 2018 9:23 pm 
Good work. Sounds like you got there late in the day. Hinman Glacier is NE aspect. We started the descent around noon in early July a few years ago and it was perfect corn. Skiing the full length of the Hinman Glacier and down to the head of the E Fork Foss is a blast, and not often done, maybe a couple parties in a typical year. If you decide to head back someday, you can shoot me a PM for route info.