Forum Index > Trail Talk > Squak - Tiger missing link across Issy-Hobart Road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
huron

huron
PostMon May 28, 2018 2:02 pm 
There's a missing link that would give a good Issaquah Alps traverse (thru green area center right on map below). Even though a sign exists declaring it as a corridor between Squak and the Chirico trailhead for PPP, no real trail exists. A buddy found this article on the topic and went out to explore today but lost the trail from the Squak side. Anyone know the current status or been thru here?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 28, 2018 2:24 pm 
From the high point of the East Ridge Trail there is a good but unmarked path to the top of Edds Peak also called Southeast Peak of Squak. From that peak the peak there is a flagged trail heading down that is quite good in places. It eventually empties out onto the power line service road parallel to Issaquah Hobart road. There is private property there but it can be followed to the sign. I have not been there since about the time of the article since it is a pain to walk by I H road in the afternoon. Somebody spent a good deal of time making that trail.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
huron

huron
PostMon May 28, 2018 5:54 pm 
MC, friend took your description today. Apparently there is an overgrown area in the middle that could use some trampling. Time to get out for the traverse!

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostTue May 29, 2018 10:25 am 
I have hiked that 4 or 5 times and I met the guy who was building the trail on one of my hikes about 3 years ago. It is un-maintained now and is pretty hard to follow. I think the idea was good but has since been abandoned...The trail builder had told me he wanted to route the trail around the old-growth trees...That is the reason the trail seems to wander around a little bit. Also, I did use this traverse to hiker Tiger>Squak>Cougar a few years ago. (23mi total, my feet hurt after that).

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 12:32 am 
Linked blog is down and attached photo too low resolution to view frown.gif Edit: Archive Courtesy of @Mosey: http://web.archive.org/web/20210619010526/http://alittlerunny.blogspot.com/2013/10/pee-pee-peak-birth-of-new-squak-mt.html Anyone know what the conditions of this are nowadays? Might be my next Squakventure.

huron

huron
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 7:39 am 
The challenge is crossing Issaquah Creek while avoiding private property. Ideally, a foot bridge or at least some large stepping stones could be constructed directly West of the existing signage (green dots below). Stepping stones could get you across in all but the highest water. This would be clearly and entirely on KC land. There is an existing bridge just North of there. The road leading to it is posted as private but I believe this is false. The KC parcel viewer shows the first section of that road is in fact public. The road then turns private as well as perhaps the bridge itself. I don't know how a bridge over a public creek can be private or how the law works with such a thing. I also don't know if there can be considered a public easement along or in a creek that flows thru private land. The legal crux is the red dotted bump over the bridge in photo below. In 2018 I wrote the county asking to have the offending signage removed and was told that it would take a court case and a lot of surveying so they were not interested. I wrote again the following year to several King County departments about this. The only response was from the King County Open Space / Natural Lands Program. I asked that since the sign designated a corriror, was there an existing project or plan to actually create a corridor. Answer was no, because it is a "sensitive area". I also wrote to the Issaquah Alps Trail Club to suggest they take this as a project. Got a yawn. Two or three time since, there were various requests for project ideas published that would connect trails and enhance infrastructure for recreation in King County. Infrastructure money. Can't remember them all, but I made another round of calls and wrote letters. The IATC had changed management, so wrote to them again. No interest.

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 1:24 pm 
Thank you so much for the info! I either picked up that trail or the trail descending the ridge that Malachai Constant depicted in the map in the thread here. (Copied Below)
Whichever one it was I followed it yesterday thinking it was the connector to the Equestrian trail I mentioned here. It "summited" a couple lesser bumps east of the SE peak, led me too far east, and then promptly disappeared. Will have to check these two other routes out sometime.

huron

huron
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 1:51 pm 
According to Strava heatmap, a schwack down the East side is quite popular.

SpookyKite89
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 2:03 pm 
There is a stark contrast between the different datasets, however. The "all" dataset shows a lot more activity than the "run" dataset. Which is more accurately run, walk, & hike. I suspect a lot of your data is noise from paragliders. PS Is your screenshot from a custom Caltopo layer as per my write-up here? I can't tell if that basemap is a Caltopo/Gaia topo layer or Strava's. If it's one of the former two, you can add `?px=256` to your URL and it will greatly improve the resolution of the lines.
All Dataset
All Dataset
Run Dataset
Run Dataset

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 6:47 pm 
The map of mine shows a route We found from the bottom when we were exploring the prominent cliffs (btw the cliffs consist of loose andesite unsuitable for climbing) near the junction of May Valley and Issaquah Hobart roads. The trail was built by Bill Longwell probably in the early 80s. More recently I followed blazes from the top of the southwest peak aka Edds Peak down to a road opposite the Chirco Landing zone. It looked like someone had constructed it as it required no scrambling. It is well to the north of my earlier map. Note: the state seems to consider that area a wildlife preserve and discourages trail making there. The area is best explored in early spring before the sting nettles and poison oak grow up.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

zimmertr