Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fatal Cougar Attack North Bend
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat May 19, 2018 2:13 pm 
One person was killed and another injured in a mountain lion attack near North Bend, the King County Sheriff's Office is reporting Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostSat May 19, 2018 3:12 pm 
Scary stuff. RIP

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat May 19, 2018 3:31 pm 
Very rare, indeed.
Quote:
The last fatal attack in Washington apparently occurred in 1924 in Olema when Jimmy Fehlhaber, 13, was killed.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 19, 2018 3:46 pm 
Tragic and scary. Sincere condolences to family, friends and loved ones. frown.gif Some pull quotes from the article RumiDude posted: The two men were mountain biking when they were attacked before noon, according to the Sheriff's Office. KOMO is reporting the attack took place on Tolt Reservoir Road which is north of North Bend and east of Carnation. There is a link in the article to a map of cougar incidents in 2017-18 (the past 365 days). Per the article the map is from WA Fish and Wildlife. Many are attacks on livestock. ~z

ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostSat May 19, 2018 3:59 pm 
RIP. I had my only cougar sighting in that same area while mtn biking there about 15 years ago.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 19, 2018 4:30 pm 
I think they like to go after MTB because they are low and fast triggering a predatory mode. There have been a number of attacks on bikers in the hills west of the Bay Area. The run down prey and attack from behind. I assume this was on the tree farm. RIP

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BdCast

BdCast
PostSat May 19, 2018 4:52 pm 
Latest: Fish and Wildlife have used hounds to track down a cougar in the area. It has since been dispatched. Awaiting DNA analysis to confirm that it’s the same animal. The two involved were apparently DNR employees(?). https://twitter.com/MichaelReports/status/997970079189889025?s=20 Hunter may have captured Trail Cam video of the cougar late last month (video clip): https://twitter.com/MichaelReports/status/997961489448235008?s=20

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat May 19, 2018 5:39 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I think they like to go after MTB because they are low and fast triggering a predatory mode. There have been a number of attacks on bikers in the hills west of the Bay Area. The run down prey and attack from behind. I assume this was on the tree farm. RIP
Right you are. I think 2 or 3 people have been killed in Cal. and partially eaten. I did stories on at least two such incidents in past years. Let's face it, to a mountain lion, some people just look like food. Now, there have been other incidents of cougars coming up behind or on the flanks of people. Even happened to a friend of mine who was hunting deer over in Chelan County several years ago. People will come up with all kinds of theories about why cougars attack people. The last known fatal attack I know of was in New Mexico about 10 years ago. In New Mexico, IIRC, they still hunt cougars with hounds, soooooo, the argument that cougars attack people (In WA and CA) because they don't hunt them with hounds loses a bit of traction. Cougars are predators. They spend all of their waking hours looking for food. This one apparently was a big one, about 100 lbs. WDFW will do a necropsy, according to one report. Then we'll see what they say.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat May 19, 2018 7:15 pm 
Population is on the rise. I just today saw yet another road kill cougar on I90 east bound right about were twin falls is. That's 3 in just over a year

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
gb

gb
PostSat May 19, 2018 9:20 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Right you are. I think 2 or 3 people have been killed in Cal. and partially eaten. I did stories on at least two such incidents in past years. Let's face it, to a mountain lion, some people just look like food. Now, there have been other incidents of cougars coming up behind or on the flanks of people. Even happened to a friend of mine who was hunting deer over in Chelan County several years ago. People will come up with all kinds of theories about why cougars attack people. The last known fatal attack I know of was in New Mexico about 10 years ago. In New Mexico, IIRC, they still hunt cougars with hounds, soooooo, the argument that cougars attack people (In WA and CA) because they don't hunt them with hounds loses a bit of traction. Cougars are predators. They spend all of their waking hours looking for food. This one apparently was a big one, about 100 lbs. WDFW will do a necropsy, according to one report. Then we'll see what they say.
This is misleading. The very few recent attacks have either been joggers or mountain bikers unless you can come up with a different real example. Banff or thereabouts and in Southern California. The prey response to someone moving rapidly seems obvious.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun May 20, 2018 7:14 am 
gb wrote:
This is misleading. The very few recent attacks have either been joggers or mountain bikers unless you can come up with a different real example. Banff or thereabouts and in Southern California. The prey response to someone moving rapidly seems obvious.
Oh, yeah? And just what is "misleading?" I said essentially the same thing you said. I also noted that people will come up with all kinds of theories. What, you didn't care for cougars being called predators? Maybe you didn't care for me concurring with Malachi that the attacks in CA were on bikers, and that they might have been attacked because the MTB is low and fast and triggers a predatory mode, eh?

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostSun May 20, 2018 8:23 am 
I'm not really looking to get into this but I feel the need to point out that MTB is not really a low to the ground vehicle. When in a fast riding position you'll usually be bent forward a little with your rear out of the saddle. Generally speaking that plus the pedal height means I'm roughly the same height as when I'm walking. I mean all that being said I own cats, I get it. They moved too fast past that cat, and it went into kill mode. If my little furballs will draw blood...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun May 20, 2018 9:37 am 
gb wrote:
The prey response to someone moving rapidly seems obvious.
From today's NYT article:
New York Times wrote:
The authorities said the two cyclists saw the cougar, a 100-pound male, in pursuit and one of them screamed. They stopped, got off their bikes and made noise to ward it off as people in such situations are advised to do, the authorities said. At first, it appeared to work. The cougar fled. But as they were about to pedal away, the cougar returned, Sgt. Ryan Abbott of the King County Sheriff’s Office said. It jumped on Isaac M. Sederbaum, putting its mouth around his head and shaking him. It released him and chased after the other cyclist, Sonja J. Brooks, who had started to run. As Mr. Sederbaum, who had been bloodied but survived, rode away from the scene, he could see the cougar dragging Ms. Brooks into the woods. . . .

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSun May 20, 2018 11:03 am 
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun May 20, 2018 12:31 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Seattle Times article
A quote from the article: "Cougars, also known as mountain lions and pumas, are a protected species." which makes me wonder if in this case would it have been legal to kill the cat, had the cyclists had the means to do so?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology