Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Mountain Loop Recreation Area map ~1940
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jun 30, 2018 9:42 pm 
I found a copy of an oblique sketch map of the Mountain Loop area. Follow these to my flickr site for a hi-res version. They are undated but the Big Four Inn is shown. That burned down in 1949 so I'm using a date of 1940.
Mountain Loop Front
Mountain Loop Front
Mountain Loop Back
Mountain Loop Back

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 2:04 pm 
Very cool! A wealth of trails, shelters, lookouts now gone... which would be used now, more than ever.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 pm 
Cool, puzzlr. Note the old trail to Green Mountain Lookout; that was abandoned in 1948 when the road was put in for logging (I'll have to double check on the year, but pretty sure it was 1948). And several trail connections aren't there that made up the Cascade Crest Trail; it did exist then, but perhaps some connections were boot paths. Some of this map looks very much like the hand drawn Nels Bruseth map, unofficially dated 1931. It's online somewhere; I'll see if I can find it. Perhaps George Winters posted it on this site. Bruseth took one of the photos in the brochure. He died in 1957. Whitechuck trail is on the south side of the river. But I think it was put on the north side relatively late, anyway (1960's?). But yeah, since you know when the Inn burned down, it was before then anyway, so my post doesn't help pinpoint it closer to your date!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 10:54 pm 
Wait. What's the deal with the Downey Creek trail(s)? & look how far Sulphur Cr trail goes. I recall Karen Sykes saying that trail went waaay up Sulphur Creek back in the 20's or so. Huckleberry Mtn is missing

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 am 
Here's the Bruseth map. I wonder if he did work on the USFS brochure.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 12:52 pm 
Great find up.gif
Quote:
Here's the Bruseth map. I wonder if he did work on the USFS brochure.
Bruseth is credited on one of the photos, as is Huntoon

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 5:17 pm 
Hmm it's missing a couple of trails. The one that branches off the Boulder River, that follows Boulder Ridge to Whitehorse. Still there festooned with telephone wires and insulators. Wonder when it was abandoned? Used to be a trail across the ridge from White Chuck to Prairie. Still bits and pieces not erased by logging.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential