Forum Index > Gear Talk > Gaia GPS on Android (Galaxy S9)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Moose

Moose
PostWed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm 
I recently made the switch from iPhone to Android and I haven't looked back once. The ONLY drawback I can see is that I can't use Gaia GPS in airplane mode because GPS tracking doesn't work. I tested this by following the advice from Robyn in this thread - https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8026884&highlight=gaia. My previous strategy for multi-night trips had been to download the map(s) for offline use, start at the TH with a fully charged iPhone, close all apps except Gaia, and minimize use of the phone other than to look at and/or correct my track. I carried an external battery case that I usually had to start using by the end of the second day. Now, I'm not sure how to maximize battery life on my S9 while managing to run Gaia continuously throughout the trip, other than to put the phone in MID power-saving mode. Does anyone out there have any tips / SOPs to share on how to manage this? Thanks in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed May 30, 2018 12:33 pm 
I can't speak to your particular phone but my fairly cheap Samsung phone works fine with Gaia in airplane mode. I use it frequently. No problem at all using GPS way outside of cell coverage. You do have to download the maps while you have some kind of data.

Moose

Moose
PostWed May 30, 2018 12:37 pm 
dave allyn wrote:
I can't speak to your particular phone but my fairly cheap Samsung phone works fine with Gaia in airplane mode. I use it frequently. No problem at all using GPS way outside of cell coverage. You do have to download the maps while you have some kind of data.
Thanks dave. This page describes the issue I'm having (I'm one of the lucky ones whose phone disables GPS signals in Airplane Mode). https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003639808-Troubleshooting-Gaia-GPS

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed May 30, 2018 8:44 pm 
I have a Galaxy S6 and can use GAIA just fine on airplane mode. I did notice this however... If I have it on power saving mode (any version of it) it will only locate my GPS signal when I open the app and ask for it. If I'm trying to record a track this leads to straight lines from every point I checked my GPS and not the route I took. ie if I check my GPS at the start and end of a set of switchbacks it shows a straight line from start to end, not the route I took. If it leave power saving mode off it will record a track just fine, but uses more power obviously. Not sure if that helps or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there...

Moose

Moose
PostThu May 31, 2018 6:44 am 
awilsondc wrote:
I have a Galaxy S6 and can use GAIA just fine on airplane mode. I did notice this however... If I have it on power saving mode (any version of it) it will only locate my GPS signal when I open the app and ask for it. If I'm trying to record a track this leads to straight lines from every point I checked my GPS and not the route I took. ie if I check my GPS at the start and end of a set of switchbacks it shows a straight line from start to end, not the route I took. If it leave power saving mode off it will record a track just fine, but uses more power obviously. Not sure if that helps or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there...
Thanks, awilsondc. This is actually really helpful because I was using the MID battery saving mode while trying to record a track in Airplane Mode. I just assumed it wouldn't interfere with the GPS signal...but that was a stupid assumption. Anecdotally - have you used Gaia to continually record your track on your S6 for multi-night trips while only in Airplane Mode? If so, how did the battery perform? I suppose another option would be to turn off constant tracking in Gaia and manually ping it for my location when I need to, and use another device (i.e., Garmin or Suunto) to record my track...but I prefer to use a single device if possible.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu May 31, 2018 6:37 pm 
Moose wrote:
have you used Gaia to continually record your track on your S6 for multi-night trips while only in Airplane Mode? If so, how did the battery perform?
If recording a track and taking occasional pictures my S6 is good for one day. I bring a power bank that holds 2 1/2 full charges if I plan on recording a track. I'd say after about 12 hours of recording a track the battery is getting pretty low. Now, if I leave it on powersaving mode and just check my location periodically like I did last weekend, I still had 40% battery after the full two day trip.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 5:04 am 
GPS is pretty battery intensive... and it sounds like Gaia does not use any more battery life than most other apps(and less than an old buggy version of a certain garmin product). I'd love to find a phone or app that has good GPS battery life!

Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 3:42 pm 
Good thread and good information - thanks all. I have an S7 and was wondering what app to get and I think I'll give Gaia a try. I'm all about preserving battery capacity so I'll have to try it see if I can live with the consumption rate while leaving the app open for tracking. A paper topo and a red Sharpie uses zero amp/hrs.

Vertec

Vertec
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 7:12 am 
On any GSM phone (iPhone/Android) you can try pulling the SIM card when you know service is not available, or not wanted. In my experience this will prevent the phone from searching for service which in turn conserves battery. YMMV...

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.