Forum Index > Trip Reports > Virginian Ridge - McKinney - Wolf Creeks Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 30, 2018 3:32 pm 
Location : Winthrop, WA. Maps : USFS Lake Chelan Sawtooth Wilderness, GTM - Mazama, Buttermilk Butte etc... Loop : Start and Stop in parking area below Virginian Ridge East side Stats : 20 miles, 7500' Loop
Virginian Ridge - Mckinney - Wolf Creek Loop 20 miles, 7500'
Virginian Ridge - Mckinney - Wolf Creek Loop 20 miles, 7500'
This trip morphed into what trips can often do you start out running a ridge to a peak you wanted to do, then you realize your in position to follow a drainage and old trail now abandoned but given a primitive status so you start looking and connect the routes and some how a long loop happens. That was how this trip escalated quickly. So with a couple of decent cool but sunny days strung together with a forecast for gusting winds we started out above the traditional TH in a flat at the East end of Virginian Ridge where we backpacked off trail this undulating and often open ridge with great views and wildflowers all the way to Mckinney Mountain a place whose time had come. The map shows what appears to be a very narrow section, but at it's narrowest it is still 20'-30' wide, we had hoped to revisit Storey again, but once we were on Mckinney, setup our tents, melted water we were to far into the day so what we did do is follow the NW ridge down to the saddle and beyond to try and intersect with the trail that once came up to the pass. Once we arrived all we found is a huge washout, maybe a couple, above the head end of NF Wolf Creek so we returned to the top of Mckinney, ate, took some pics, then sought shelter from the wind which was gusting. Steve found a spot on lower ground below some trees that we had a campfire at and was predominantly wind free unless you went several feet either direction. It was nice to rest beside the campfire for awhile and we decided to drop West the next day down to the trail and follow that out. It froze overnight and the wind never stopped blowing I was in by bag comfortable but I had three layers on. The next day I was up at 0400 and I could see my breath but was wrapped in windproof down, I had coffee and once again watched the dawn sky and sunrise, Steve got up maybe 1-2 hour later and we packed up and headed West we dropped to the elevation of the old trail on the map and followed a faint on again, off again path through slides, gullies, blowdown, and I was hoping for a better trail, but followed the GPS track and the animal tracks until we had dropped enough to hit flatter terrain with an improved path and a lot of cut logs there was still blowdown and going left and right but it was much improved over the side hilling above and we made good time and had actual water (yeah !) eventually coming to the lower creek crossing which was inevitable but we tried to avoid the log, and the creek was turbulent and we were unsure about it's depth and current. In the end we crossed down stream in a flatter and wider area in about 5 seconds. We took a break at the main Wolf Creek trail then kept chopping wood to the TH and up the road to the car. I had planned to cut cross country but at that point was too tired. That was a lot but a pretty adventurous trip.
Nice !
Nice !
Midnight, Little Bridge Creek Butte, Little Bridge Creek basin.
Midnight, Little Bridge Creek Butte, Little Bridge Creek basin.
From Virginian Ridge lookinig at Thompson, Canyon Creek, Abernathy ridges as well as Milton and Storey's ridges etc...
From Virginian Ridge lookinig at Thompson, Canyon Creek, Abernathy ridges as well as Milton and Storey's ridges etc...
On the narrow section of the ridge. All though the ridge looks very narrow on maps it is 20 - 30' wide at it's narrowest point.
On the narrow section of the ridge. All though the ridge looks very narrow on maps it is 20 - 30' wide at it's narrowest point.
Ridge going up Mckinney's East summit, all most there.
Ridge going up Mckinney's East summit, all most there.
Gardner Ridge - Storey - Milton - Mckinney
Gardner Ridge - Storey - Milton - Mckinney
Small herds of Big Agnes tents could be seen throughout the area.
Small herds of Big Agnes tents could be seen throughout the area.
Looking NW into the Pasayten.
Looking NW into the Pasayten.
Another ridge and a snow based water supply.
Another ridge and a snow based water supply.
Mcleod - Sunrise Isabella Ridge and more...
Mcleod - Sunrise Isabella Ridge and more...
Views to the South from Virginian Ridge.
Views to the South from Virginian Ridge.
Evening
Evening
Must be coffee time !
Must be coffee time !
Sunrise !
Sunrise !
Lower NF Wolf Creek section of trail.
Lower NF Wolf Creek section of trail.
Customart Wolf Creek pic.
Customart Wolf Creek pic.
Milton
Milton

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed May 30, 2018 7:07 pm 
Another high camp...Ridge Rats Rule! eyes.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
RichP

RichP
PostWed May 30, 2018 8:58 pm 
No ridge shall be left unrun by Rob and Steve. Glad to see you got'er done. up.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu May 31, 2018 5:06 am 
Freezing wind gusts, side hilling over downfall, melting water on top a dry ridge...you guys have perfected ways to get the most out of backpacking trips! up.gif

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack
PostThu May 31, 2018 11:51 am 
Nice work up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 5:37 am 
RichP wrote:
No ridge shall be left unrun by Rob and Steve. Glad to see you got'er done. up.gif
Like Jesus Jones old song “Right here right now there is no place i’d rather be”. Good times !

funhog

funhog
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 am 
Great TR. I love your TR and have used several of them from years past to ascend McCleod and Sherman Peaks. Thanks for leaving an easy to follow and inspirational trail. Not like breadcrumbs left to lead us on but close smile.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 4:56 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Like Jesus Jones old song “Right here right now there is no place i’d rather be”. Good times !
up.gif on your sentiment and the Jesus Jones reference. smile.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 5:02 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
wildernessed wrote:
up.gif on your sentiment and the Jesus Jones reference. smile.gif
On one of my running playlist. Great song ! agree.gif

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Must be coffee time !
Must be coffee time !
Sunrise !
Sunrise !