Forum Index > Trip Reports > Colchuck Peak 5/30/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack
PostWed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm 
What's up nwnhikers? I've long been a lurker on this site when I want beta for different summits or to just simply check trail conditions. I've certainly benefited from what you guys post, so I thought it may be time to return the favor. Also, I'm planning on focusing on the Bulger list this summer and would love to find more partners to tick those peaks off with. I'm free during weekends and that's about it. Shoot me a PM or add me on facebook or whatever. Today I solo'd Colchuck Peak. Normally I don't solo things, but with all the crazy trip reports coming out right now, I couldn't wait for my usual partner to maybe come back from Bellingham this weekend. So, with my FOMO at its maximum, I had to join the party. I left my house in Monroe at 6 this morning - only stopping once to fill up for gas. On the way I managed to hit a bird mid-flight and I'm a bit nervous the poor bastard got sucked into my hood scoop. The road up to the Stuart/Colchuck Lakes Trailhead was littered with potholes as usual and the lot wasn't too busy. I parked at 8:15, threw my pack together and was on the trail at 8:30. I put some headphones in and sort of spaced out walking up to Colchuck Lake. ASAP Rocky's new album was still as disappointing as the first time I heard it; it helped the time pass though. I stopped twice on the way up - once to take this picture:
and then another time up a steeper section of trail because I'm out of shape. I reached the lake just before 10 and ate some food for a bit. I started traversing around the lake soon after and paused to take a picture of Colchuck.
I then made it to the start of the glacier route. Snow is still hanging down pretty low.
The initial snow climbing wasn't bad. Decently soft, but firm enough to hold a boot up well. However, further up, the snow began to become more firm.
Last night got below freezing, and this morning the temperatures were hovering in the mid 30's. The lack of sunlight combined with this resulted in a refrozen layer I got to climb up with no crampons. The snow was so firm I couldn't even kick steps. I lost track of how many times I slipped and fell coming up the glacier. Some dudes I met at the top were kind enough to send a me picture they took of my ascent up.
I stopped at the top, drank some water and stored my ice axe. The snow on the way to the summit from the glacier is sparse and VERY wet. I had no trouble making steps up this stuff.
On the summit at 1:15.
Summit shot 2.
I hung out on top for about about 30-45 minutes or so. I was in no rush to get down since I knew the glissade was going to be crappy. As it turns out... I was right! Usually when I'm glissading, I kind of just hit the yeet and bomb down. Not this time... with my feet unable to dig into the snow, I had to rely on my ice axe for braking. Lame. After sliding down, I slipped back into trail runners and finished the hike down. Arriving at my car at 4:25. If you're planning on doing Colchuck or Dragontail in the next couple days, consider bringing crampons. It's supposed to warm up in the next couple days, so you may not need them, but I know I could've benefited from them today. Stats: 12.9 miles 7500 feet of gain (trail goes up and down) 7 hours 55 minutes RT 0 ticks 0 parking tickets Also... I know some of you are curious about Aasgard so here's a picture I took of it on the way down. It's melting out rather fast.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed May 30, 2018 9:55 pm 
Dude, great job. That’s pretty fast!

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack
PostWed May 30, 2018 9:56 pm 
Thanks man! It helps when most of the elevation loss happens in about 15 minutes

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed May 30, 2018 10:01 pm 
Great report and thanks for the conditions update. Quick time for being "out of shape"!

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack
PostWed May 30, 2018 10:16 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Great report and thanks for the conditions update. Quick time for being "out of shape"!
Thanks dawg, maybe I'm in better shape than I thought! I think spring conditions definitely helped me out quite a bit too.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed May 30, 2018 10:23 pm 
chandlerhaberlack wrote:
On the way I managed to hit a bird mid-flight
Which species please? While your trying to determine that, let me ask you another question. Did you see the walrus basking at Colchuck Lake? ( I snapped this image last fall )

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack
PostWed May 30, 2018 10:34 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Which species please? While your trying to determine that, let me ask you another question. Did you see the walrus basking at Colchuck Lake? ( I snapped this image last fall )
A robin I think. And no I didn't. The forest service brings him up mid june or so once the lake is completely thawed.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu May 31, 2018 5:30 pm 
Nice climb! Thanks for the update.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 31, 2018 6:31 pm 
The Forest Service must have to bring in a bunch of fresh water clams to feed the walrus (unless it just begs for food). That must be where most of their budget disappears to. What would happen if the walrus mated w/ one of the mountain goats while it was up there? I'm sure Bootpathguy has a photo of that as well!

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu May 31, 2018 9:29 pm 
Very cool. This is a great first report. That's a big strong day. How unusual to be able to feature a good long range shot of yourself. I killed a bird while driving today too, which made me sad. I love birds. frown.gif I'd volunteer to be your Bulger partner if you like.

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 10:09 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
Very cool. This is a great first report. That's a big strong day. How unusual to be able to feature a good long range shot of yourself. I killed a bird while driving today too, which made me sad. I love birds. frown.gif I'd volunteer to be your Bulger partner if you like.
Thank you! I’d love to bag some Bulgers with you. Our trips in the past have been some of my favorite and you’re a great partner. But yea, I felt pretty bad about the bird. First time that’s ever happened to me.